Pedals Around the Rose

Boomer07

[url="http://crux.baker.edu/cdavis09/roses.html#background"]Pedals around the rose[/url]

I found this on another board.

It's a puzzle and the only clue you're allowed to give is the answer is always either zero or an even number.

And part of the deal is under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are you to tell anyone how to do it.

So, if you get it, keep it to yourself and don't wreck the fun for the rest of the class.

It says on the site that it took a professor at Duke over a year to figure it out.

They say that the smarter you are, the longer it will take you to solve the puzzle.

It only took me 3 rolls.

I guess I'm not all that smart. :lol:

I'm curious to see how other people do.

Remember. DON'T POST ANY HINTS.

[quote name='Beaker' date='Mar 5 2005, 06:35 PM']I must be fucking Einstien then because I still havent figured it out.
[right][post="57173"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It's funny you say that. Someone on here (I think it was BengalBacker) equated you w/ him on another thread.

Anyway, you'll get it. Don't overthink it.

Ok I just got it, so it took me about 10 tries, time wise probally about two hours, I wouldnt have got it probally if you didnt say dont over think it. He's right its a bit simpler if you dont. I was thinking back to the SAT days and different patters ect, dont over think it.

Edit: I must have got lucky, cause I just did it two more times applying the same thought process and wasnt right.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Mar 5 2005, 07:49 PM']Ok I just got it, so it took me about 10 tries, time wise probally about two hours, I wouldnt have got it probally if you didnt say dont over think it. He's right its a bit simpler if you dont. I was thinking back to the SAT days and different patters ect, dont over think it.

Edit: I must have got lucky, cause I just did it two more times applying the same thought process and wasnt right.
[right][post="57196"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You're on the right track.

Don't overthink it is the key.

You've got to be kidding me... I got it after the third roll. I don't think it's how smart you are that prevents someone like this Duke professor from figuring it out. It's how smart you [i]think[/i] you are!

Besides, we are talking about a [i]Duke[/i] professor. I'm surprised he ever figured it out!

[quote name='BuckWoody' date='Mar 6 2005, 08:42 PM']Wow, I know it sounds like bs but I got it on the first try, no shit.  :blink:

That doesn't speak very well for my intelligence. :(
[right][post="57583"][/post][/right][/quote]

Hey, I'm right there with you in the "special class". :685:

Guest BengalBacker

I tried about 5 rolls when I first saw this thread. Came back a couple of hours later and tried about 5 more rolls. Got on it again tonight and figured it out after about 5 more rolls.

My wife sits down. Rolls once and guesses. She's right. Rolls again and thinks she might have it figured out. She's right again. Rolls a third time and has it.

:angry:

Stupid wife. <_< B)

[quote name='BuckWoody' date='Mar 6 2005, 06:42 PM']Wow, I know it sounds like bs but I got it on the first try, no shit.  :blink:

That doesn't speak very well for my intelligence. :(
[right][post="57583"][/post][/right][/quote]

Agreed, after checking the answer I knew I was correct. It's just more common sense than anything else, overthinking was not an option in this exercise.

But I may be just the dumbest person ever for figuring it out so fast.

[quote name='Beaker' date='Mar 7 2005, 04:39 PM']Fuck it...I give up.
[right][post="57948"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Dude dont give up, if you think about the words of in the sentance "Pedals Around the Rose" and use basic math youll get it.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Mar 7 2005, 04:19 PM']i got it on the first try just because i thought "what would a stupid person do to solve this quickly" and not try to make it complicated
[right][post="57979"][/post][/right][/quote]

:22:

Gee. Thanks.

<_<

;) B)

Archived