You're the GM

Bengals1181

[quote name='Lawman' post='564116' date='Oct 5 2007, 03:09 PM'][i]I would rather have Gonzales's glove at SS; defense IS one of the sore-spots on this team that needs addressing.

Why would you subtract from that?[/i][/quote]

Gonzalez had a terrible fielding year in my opinion.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='564106' date='Oct 5 2007, 02:44 PM']well, the reason for keppinger being a SS in all scenarios is the fact that i dont want Cantu starting at 2B and Phillips at SS. Id rather use Cantu as a power sub and good bat off the bench. SS and C would be our 2 weak spots. I dont think Keppinger will hit better than 280, but ill take a SS that hits 280 and plays decent defense. Thats what i expect out of him. If we could get a SS to come in id prefer it, but i dont see it happening.[/quote]

I don't know...

I just think Keppinger can hit...

Has anybody took the time to look what he did in the minors?

'03 (High A ball) - .325 BA - .367 OBP - .424 SLG
'04 (AA and AAA)- .339 BA - .397 OBP - .417 SLG
'05 (AAA) - .337 BA - .377 OBP - .455 SLG
'06 (AAA) - .316 BA - .368 OBP - .389 SLG
'07 (AAA) - .368 BA - .424 OBP - .469 SLG

The dude has hit every stop along the way. He doesn't hit for power, or drive in the runs that people want, but he sure can hit the ball...No more than 33 strikeouts in any single season during his minor league career (and his high of 33 was his 1st as a professional)...

[quote name='Broken1' post='564180' date='Oct 5 2007, 04:45 PM']I don't know...

The dude has hit every stop along the way. He doesn't hit for power, or drive in the runs that people want, but he sure can hit the ball...No more than 33 strikeouts in any single season during his minor league career (and his high of 33 was his 1st as a professional)...[/quote]

[i]The former Assistance-In-Charge where I am stationed is a big Red Sox fan and very knowledgeable on the subject; he heaped big time praise on Keppinger.

Those are some good numbers, I don't care who you are.[/i]

[quote name='Lawman' post='564116' date='Oct 5 2007, 03:09 PM'][i]I would rather have Gonzales's glove at SS; defense IS one of the sore-spots on this team that needs addressing.

Why would you subtract from that?[/i][/quote]
i dont see his personal issues clearing up and he didnt play good D this year.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='564166' date='Oct 5 2007, 04:15 PM']Gonzalez had a terrible fielding year in my opinion.[/quote]
i blame that on personal issues and i dont see them clearing up soon.

[quote name='Broken1' post='564180' date='Oct 5 2007, 04:45 PM']I don't know...

The dude has hit every stop along the way. He doesn't hit for power, or drive in the runs that people want, but he sure can hit the ball...No more than 33 strikeouts in any single season during his minor league career (and his high of 33 was his 1st as a professional)...[/quote]
ill never put stock in minor league stats, there is way too much to show they are useless.

For the record, I think trading Hamilton is a horrible idea . . .

[quote][size=5][b]GM McCoy's plan: Keep Dunn, trade Hamilton, get pitching[/b][/size]

Sunday, October 07, 2007

For one day, and one day only, I have appointed myself general manager of the Cincinnati Reds, so Wayne Krivsky gets today off. My cell phone is at my elbow, my coffee cup is full and I'm ready to wheel, deal and steal.

The first call is to owner Bob Castellini, and he must be convinced to remove the "interim" from Pete Mackanin's title and make him manager. Why go outside looking for the so-called name manager? Why start all over again? Mackanin proved he knows what he is doing, and along the way he earned the admiration and respect of the players.

Did they not play hard for him, even when they were 20 games under .500 when he took over, and even to the bitter end when injuries left him outgunned and undermanned?

The next call is to Adam Dunn's agent and only one sentence needs to be said, "We're picking up his $13 million option." Every team needs a guy who hits 40 home runs, drives in 100 runs, scores 100 runs and walks 100 times (Dunn has done that three years now). Every team needs one, but few have one. A no-brainer.

Now we get to the sticky wickets.

The Reds have more usable outfielders than a peanut butter sandwich left outside has flies. And the best may be waiting in the wings in Jay Bruce.

This move is painful, but the Reds need pitching, pitching and more pitching. Josh Hamilton, pack your gear. Yes, he is a five-tool player with a chance at stardom, but so is Bruce. Call any GM with good pitching, and a package with Hamilton as the keystone will draw interest.

Another outfielder to make available is Ryan Freel. Like Hamilton, Freel is injury-prone. Norris Hopper proved that he not only can fill in for Freel, he is a better hitter and a better fielder. To trade Freel, though, the Reds probably need to eat some of his contract.

That leaves the team with an outfield of Dunn, Bruce and Ken Griffey Jr., with Hopper as No. 4 — a No. 4 who would play a lot while the team eases Bruce into the mix.

And let's silence the Dump Griffey chit-chat. As a tenured player, he has the right to say no to any trade. And he'll say no. He has one more year on his contract and he'll finish with the Reds. He played 144 games this year and hit 30 homers and drove in 93 runs.

What some fans forget, too, is that he remains the team's No. 1 draw — still bringing in more fans wearing "Griffey" jerseys than Brandon Phillips, Dunn or cover boy Bronson Arroyo.

If I could trade Alex Gonzalez, I would. But to sign him, Krivsky had to give him a three-year contract on which two years remain. A team in desperate need of a shortstop might take him. If that doesn't work, third baseman Edwin Encarnacion could be part of a package to get pitching.

Dealing either Gonzalez or Encarnacion — an enigma who on some days resembles a superstar and on other days resembles a disinterested superdud — would make room for Jeff Keppinger.

Keppinger is an anti-Red, a guy who puts the ball in play (only 12 strikeouts in 276 plate appearances) and is the best situational hitter to wear a Cincinnati uniform since Barry Larkin.

It was no accident the Reds made a catcher their No. 1 draft pick this year. Even if Dustin Mesoraco is the next coming of Johnny Bench, he is three or four years away. How long can the team go with a .203 hitter (David Ross) and a guy who threw out five of 44 base-stealers (Javier Valentin)? Get a catcher.

Mark down Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Homer Bailey in the rotation next year. Mark down Jared Burton as the set-up guy in the bullpen and David Weathers (he is under contract) as the closer. Mark everything else on the pitching staff with a gigantic question mark.

The problem is finding pitching. It isn't yet being developed in the minors (how far away is Johnny Cueto?). Teams don't trade top-notch pitching. It is mostly gained through free agency, and that takes more money than the Reds usually spend.

And when somebody says Kyle Lohse might be the best free-agent pitcher available, well, Castellini might do well to keep his wallet in his pocket. We've already been down Lohse Road and it was bumpy and rocky.

Now, how much does an interim GM get paid for one day?

Contact this reporter at hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com.

[b]Yearly attendance [/b]

The Reds have not had a winning season since moving into Great American Ball Park in 2003. How they've fared, and how fans have responded:
Year Record Division Average attendance
2003 69-93 Fifth 29,077
2004 76-86 Fourth 28,238
2005 73-89 Fifth 23,989
2006 80-82 Third 26,351
2007 72-90 Fifth 25,415

[b]Monthly checkup [/b]

The Reds' record and where they stood in the National League Central on the final day of each month during the 2007 season:
Date Record Place Games behind
April 30 12-13 Third 4.0
May 31 21-34 Sixth 9.5
June 30 31-50 Sixth 16.5
July 31 45-62 Fifth 13.0
Aug. 31 62-73 Fourth 7.0
Sept. 30 72-90 Fifth 13.0[/quote]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='564633' date='Oct 7 2007, 12:34 PM']hal mccoy should be fired for the WORST idea/article ever written.[/quote]

[i]I agree with his position that we need a catcher with upside and we do not need a Kyle Loshe/Eric Milton.
Griffey is still a draw at the gate.

but I do disagree on Dunn/Hamilton.

I see more of a Phillips, Hamilton, Votto, Bruce and maybe EE as the cornerstone of our offense in the next couple of years with the requirements of a few positions to address.

I would keep Hamilton and trade Dunn for a catcher(package); with PROVEN upside (ex: Salmattachia).

Money saved on Dunn's contract ca be used with a proven arm.[/i]

we have a catcher with upside, he was drafted in the first round. they are not going to go after a catcher after blowing a 1st round pick on one. you should expect him up in 2-3 seasons if he is as good as they say he is. its not like this team is going out for a WS win in the next season or two. I am 100% fine with Ross/Valentin combo. Ross gives us great D and Valentin gives us a good bat. Catcher is not a need, pitching is. Getting a different catcher is a luxury.

If dumbass Hal (his name from now on) thinks u cant get rid of a guy who can go 40 100 and 100, then trading Hamilton would be idiotic. He also goes on about how good Keppinger is cuz he doesnt strike out much. Hamilton is capable of going 40 100 100 and not striking out much WHILE giving us gold glove defense and an arm that runners on base fear. if you trade hamilton (unless you are getting a STUD pitcher), then you are a fucking moron.

i see no intelligent reason behind trading edwin either. guy showed he can play good defense as he was one of the best defensive 3B post allstar break. he also was tearing it up with his bat too. he is one of our few clutch hitters too. when runners are on base, i want Edwin up. There is no better core in MLB than: Votto 1B, Phillips 2B, Edwin 3B, Bruce RF/LF, and Hamilton CF. This allows the team to focus 99% of its time and effort on pitching.

[quote]we have a catcher with upside, he was drafted in the first round. they are not going to go after a catcher after blowing a 1st round pick on one. you should expect him up in 2-3 seasons if he is as good as they say he is[/quote]

[i]Did you see my post on our scouts; I hope this is one they got right!!![/i]

Archived