If I see one more Bengal smiling while we are losing

[quote name='Dumall' post='581751' date='Oct 30 2007, 09:12 AM']Go, you are so right. When we realize that this shit means more to us than the players, we will then begin to
understand that winning and losing isn't what consumes most players..[/quote]
I don't think that's true at all. Maybe for some players.
So when does this transition happen? Once there's money involved?
Most NFL players play the game because they love football, and have been playing football since they were kids. Caring about whether you win or lose is all a part and parcel of that.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='581604' date='Oct 30 2007, 12:31 AM']Funny thing..
John Lynch came out with injury and the Broncos had 10 or 12 men on the field 3 times resulting in penalties... Lynch is the designated counter I suppose....
wonder who it is on the bengals? I allwasys thought it was the MLB but maybe not.[/quote]

i think it's jackson.

I get irritated by this light-hearted behavior too. I'm just a fan watching from my couch and I'm more upset than half of the players when we are losing. Doesn't seem right. I know when I'm doing something competive and it's not going well, the last thing I want to do is socialize. If the players really do just see it as a normal 9 to 5 job, then that's part of the problem in my opinion. Warriors compete and fight back when they are slapped in the face.

On a related topic, I think attitude, especially on defense is seriously lacking on our team. Most teams we play are trying to rip the heads off of people while they are tackling, almost to the point of intent to injure. Our defense is lucky we get the player tackled at all. It's something that becoming more and more noticable to me. Anyone else?

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='581723' date='Oct 30 2007, 10:38 AM']If I have a bad day at the office and my boss gets mad because I smile and joke around at lunch, I'd be just as pissed right back at him for telling me how to spend my free time.
People even smile at funerals...[/quote]

Perhaps you and I perceive the "free time" differently. I don't think free time exists on Sunday during the game. Joking around to blow off steam is something to do after the game, in my opinion. During the game, you should either be on the field playing, or, in Dexter's case, with the rest of the defense trying to figure out how to stop the Stealers from walking all over you. I don't want the guys who joke around to be strung up by their toes. I just want them to realize there are things they can be doing to help the team, and that those things are more important than goofing off.

But just because they are smiling and laughing doesn't mean they aren't working and thinking about how to win a game. People "work" in different ways - not everyone is going to be "nose to the grindstone" serious. It doesn't mean they don't care and aren't trying.

There are 53+ different personalities on the sidelines and not all of them are going to be 100% serious all the time. It's the same in any organization.

I bet you would see some Bears players smiling during the game while they were losing the Super Bowl last year...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='581753' date='Oct 30 2007, 11:16 AM']I don't think that's true at all. Maybe for some players.
So when does this transition happen? Once there's money involved?
Most NFL players play the game because they love football, and have been playing football since they were kids. Caring about whether you win or lose is all a part and parcel of that.[/quote]
How many countless times do you hear the players refer to this game that they play for a living as "business". Sure they love the game, and have been playing since kids, you can't get to this level not "caring". But don't kid yourself about this game at the NFL level, for 90-95 percent in this league its about making as much money as you can in the short amount of time that you have. So, in a sense, seeing players laughing on the sidelines neither upsets or surprises me in the least.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='581619' date='Oct 30 2007, 01:32 AM']Justin Smith is at the top of the list for not caring???
Why do you think that.. just askin[/quote]

Because he never gameplans.

He's never improved. He's always been good, but never raised his game.

He's got character issues, DUI is obviously putting your recreation before your career.

From the outside, he doesn't appear to be a leader, even though he's one of the most experienced players on the team.

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='581974' date='Oct 30 2007, 08:03 PM']I'm not a good loser, so when I get my ass kicked at something, it pisses me off. But to each his own. I hate to see players smile or joke around when losing. Thats why I hated Chad jumping into the dawgpound. We were losing the game, no time to celebrate ![/quote]

Totally agree. Chad's bullshit is wearing thin. He has made some critical plays the last two games, but his megalomania [i]is [/i]harming the team (no matter how much anyone wants to skirt the issue). Contrast him to TJ (without whom we would be 0-7 easily, let alone with a chance to be 5-2 if everybody stepped up the way he has) and its pretty much a given. Granted, Chad isn't responsible for injuries, suspensions or trying to get anyone to duplicate [i]his[/i] work ethic; but he needs to digs in and cut the shit. This "I need to be outrageous to keep my edge" shit is just backfiring right now.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='581926' date='Oct 30 2007, 07:31 PM']Because he never gameplans.

He's never improved. He's always been good, but never raised his game.

He's got character issues, DUI is obviously putting your recreation before your career.

From the outside, he doesn't appear to be a leader, even though he's one of the most experienced players on the team.[/quote]

a DUI two years ago is a character issue? :lol: I"m not condoning it, but you make him out to be some bad guy.

Justin's never going to be a pro-bowler, but he's one of the few players on our defense that you will see go full steam on every play.

I agree that he doesn't look to be a leader, but since when is not being a leader selfish?

They are professionals, they aren't going to be depressed like a bunch of fat couch pussies who have never played the game. You would be smiling too if you were getting their game checks..nothing to be sad about there. Win or Lose they get paid. Just like your own job, you get paid no matter how the company did that day.

Archived