Hey HD DVD: It's Not Just a Flesh Wound

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='627922' date='Jan 29 2008, 12:46 AM']I never would have expected it to end so soon, but yeah, HD-DVD is done for. Blu-Ray is victorious. At least they have a way cooler name. "HD-DVD" is just lame.[/quote]

:weeew:

I bought Blu Ray while the battle was still pretty hot.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='631402' date='Feb 11 2008, 08:41 AM']Your an idiot, people didnt say that blu-ray was dead they were saying you were dumb for making that one of the reasons to buy a ps3 when at the time there was no clear leader. But hey enjoy that ps3 that is still losing the next gen wars.[/quote]

Just because you're a complete fan boy for XBox doesn't mean people with no horse in the race (which I didn't have a year ago) couldn't see this a mile away. I didn't get a PS3 until this past August.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='633707' date='Feb 19 2008, 06:27 PM']Just because you're a complete fan boy for XBox doesn't mean people with no horse in the race (which I didn't have a year ago) couldn't see this a mile away. I didn't get a PS3 until this past August.[/quote]

yeah [b]I'm[/b] the fan boy here :lol:

Wow, this seems totally worth it. Anybody know what a Blu-ray Burner costs?

[url="http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Convert_Your_HD_DVDs_to_Blu-Ray"]http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Convert_Your_HD_DVDs_to_Blu-Ray[/url]
[quote][b]Convert Your HD DVDs to Blu-Ray[/b]

HD DVD is dead. Long live HD DVD!

By converting your movies to a more enduring format, you can ensure your movie collection survives the death of the machine that plays them.

The process is simple in principle but excruciating in practice, thanks to the complexity of the technology, the myriad of applications needed and the predations of an industry that doesn't want you format-shifting at all.

Contents
[hide]

* 1 What You'll Need
o 1.1 Step 1: Ripping
o 1.2 Step 2: Transcoding and Authoring
o 1.3 Step 3: Burning
* 2 Alternative methods
* 3 Tips & Tricks

What You'll Need

* A Windows machine with a fast processor
* An HD-DVD drive
* A Blu-Ray burner
* 30GB of free disk space, at least, though 40GB or more is recommended
* An internet connection to download all the software you need

Step 1: Ripping

First, we have to get the original HD DVD movie off the disk and onto the computer. You'll need to have a HD-DVD inside, or hooked up to, your PC, and software to cut through the DRM.

Windows users have it easy. Buy Slysoft's AnyDVD HD (about $115), which will rip HD DVD without further ado. A free alternative is DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Once done, you'll have a bunch of files on your machine in .EVO format.
Step 2: Transcoding and Authoring

This means getting the rip ready to burn to Blu-Ray disc: transcoding refers to changing the file format and size, while authoring refers to preparing and arranging the files so that players may properly understand them.

If you just want to keep the file on the computer as a backup, you can stop here. Even if no one is making physical HD DVD players, there'll always be software to play the files themselves.

If you're targeting Blu-Ray, however, you'll need to get your hands dirty fixing your files to the required specs. You'll run the ripped HD DVD disk through a bunch of different programs, in the following order:

1. EVOdemux to "demultiplex" the ripped files and pick exactly what you need to keep.

2. H264Info or vc1conv -— which one you need depends on whether the format of HD DVD movie you ripped is h.264 or VC1.

3. eac3to to compress the audio, often necessary to fit movies onto cheaper 25GB Blu-Ray disks.

4. tsMuxeR and TsRemux to get the video streams ready for burning.

If you need more help, follow the instructions at the Doom9 forums to ensure you get everything just right. There is also another, slightly different process outlined on the Doom9 forums. If the idea of working your way through all those steps isn't appealing, you might want to wait until enough blind eyes are turned for an all-in-one commercial solution to emerge.
Step 3: Burning

Finally, you can copy the the authored Blu-Ray presentation to a physical disk. IMGBurn 2.4 is a way to do it free of charge, but Nero 8 ($100) will handle the job if you already have it.

You will also need a Blu-Ray disk burner, of course. Sony's BWU100A, at $430 refurbished, is one choice. The cheapest going is Lite-On's $360 LH-2B1S. Don't like the price? Too late to complain now.
Alternative methods

One can also use a HD capture card with component video inputs to slurp up the output from the Xbox 360's HD DVD player. Install video capture software, hook up the player to the capture card, and go. Watch out for disk space!

Jake Ludington reports success with the AJA XENA LH capture card. The problem is expense: a HD capture card isn't cheap. To get the resulting files onto Blu-Ray disc, use Nero 8 with the HD plugin.

Tips & Tricks

Just as with DVDs before them, commercially-burned HD DVD movies have more space than blank disks. When transcoding, check to ensure the resulting file will fit on the target medium. For 25GB Blu-Ray disks, keep files under about 23 GB.

AVSforum has a list of the file sizes of popular HD DVD movies. Some come in at a whopping 27 Gibibytes.[/quote]

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='633707' date='Feb 19 2008, 06:27 PM']Just because you're a complete fan boy for XBox doesn't mean people with no horse in the race (which I didn't have a year ago) couldn't see this a mile away. I didn't get a PS3 until this past August.[/quote]

i dont think you have said anything truthful, accurate, or even remotely on topic to any of the discussions that have gone on here for the past few months.

Well now, I wouldn't go and say that. I DID try to warn you about what was happening here. Just becasue you chose not to listen to me or anybody else that dare bought a PS3 in the last year about why they like it so much, and why it was a better buy in our eyes doesn't mean we didn't try to help you.

No, all we got was [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=34657"]shit [/url]for daring to like it.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='633997' date='Feb 20 2008, 12:26 PM']Well now, I wouldn't go and say that. I DID try to warn you about what was happening here. Just becasue you chose not to listen to me or anybody else that dare bought a PS3 in the last year about why they like it so much, and why it was a better buy in our eyes doesn't mean we didn't try to help you.

No, all we got was [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=34657"]shit [/url]for daring to like it.[/quote]

I dont care if you like it, just dont try to convince me it's the better system and that it is because of the blu-ray disk.

Archived