HD question

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='631872' date='Feb 12 2008, 09:37 PM'][url="http://www.amazon.com/Super-Resolution-Cable-DVI-Gear/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202777417&sr=8-1"]HDMI cables on sale Amazon $2[/url][/quote]
I'm sure they are as functional as the uber-cool HDMI cable I saw at Wal-Mart the other day for $30.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='631890' date='Feb 12 2008, 11:05 PM']I'm sure they are as functional as the uber-cool HDMI cable I saw at Wal-Mart the other day for $30.[/quote]
Absolutely. [url="http://consumerist.com/353938/monster-cables-monster-ripoff-80-markups"]Here's a nice read on Monster cable markups.[/url]

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='632112' date='Feb 13 2008, 09:05 PM']Even the retailers are getting ripped off.[/quote]
These cables have GOT to be a sham. I get really good HD quality from the FREE component cables my cable supplier provided...how much improvement justifies the cost of purchasing HDMI cables? So they turn 5 inputs into one...is that the big deal? It's cleaner (with less wires)?
So what?

Here's a CNET video on the topic. As is mentioned, I have an HDMI cable from the set top box to the TV, and a component from my dvd to tv. I don't really notice much difference, and what difference there is, imo, is attributable to the fact that my home theatre dvd is of average quality (no upconverting.)

i have a question... i was messing around with different set ups for my 360 and i noticed that on the back of my tv there are the green blue and red HD inputs but when i try to hook up my 360 to those inputs and play there is no difference in quality that i can notice and there is also no sound that comes through the tv.. anybody know why this is because i had never though that my tv was an HD tv until i saw the inputs.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='629246' date='Feb 1 2008, 10:03 PM']Not sure if anyone may know the answer to this, if you record something that is in HD (on an HDTV) with a VCR (yea, I know, that ancient thing) and play it back on the HDTV, will it show up in HD-quality or not since its not an "HD-VCR" (which I doubt even exist).

My assumption would be no, but thought I'd ask some guru's on here.[/quote]

Maybe on a Beta.

:D

[quote name='tracenuts' post='632161' date='Feb 14 2008, 09:04 AM']i have a question... i was messing around with different set ups for my 360 and i noticed that on the back of my tv there are the green blue and red HD inputs but when i try to hook up my 360 to those inputs and play there is no difference in quality that i can notice and there is also no sound that comes through the tv.. anybody know why this is because i had never though that my tv was an HD tv until i saw the inputs.[/quote]

The component inputs (red, blue, green) do not mean your TV is HD and they only transfer the video signal. If you didn't think your TV was HD, I'm willing to bet that it isn't.

On a related note... what's the point of having a 360 without an HDTV? You're paying extra for the HD quality picture that you can't use.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='632194' date='Feb 14 2008, 10:57 AM']The component inputs (red, blue, green) do not mean your TV is HD and they only transfer the video signal. If you didn't think your TV was HD, I'm willing to bet that it isn't.

On a related note... what's the point of having a 360 without an HDTV? You're paying extra for the HD quality picture that you can't use.[/quote]

but whats the point of putting them on the back of a non HD tv thats what i don't get and why when i hook my 360 to it do i not get any sound?

and believe me if i wasn't a poor college kid and i actually had the money for an HDTV i would get one no questions asked, i hate having to play my 360 on my cheap APEX tv

[quote name='tracenuts' post='632288' date='Feb 14 2008, 02:19 PM']but whats the point of putting them on the back of a non HD tv thats what i don't get and why when i hook my 360 to it do i not get any sound?

and believe me if i wasn't a poor college kid and i actually had the money for an HDTV i would get one no questions asked, i hate having to play my 360 on my cheap APEX tv[/quote]

they are there because they are going to provide the best quality connection for your tv.

component > s-video > composite

assuming you have it hooked up correctly, i'm not sure about the sound. what cable are you using for the 360?

[quote name='tracenuts' post='632161' date='Feb 14 2008, 09:04 AM']i have a question... i was messing around with different set ups for my 360 and i noticed that on the back of my tv there are the green blue and red HD inputs but when i try to hook up my 360 to those inputs and play there is no difference in quality that i can notice and there is also no sound that comes through the tv.. anybody know why this is because i had never though that my tv was an HD tv until i saw the inputs.[/quote]

you don't have sound because those three cords are for video output only. You still have to use the red and white cord for the audio. The R,G,B just replace the yellow.

Hey Bunghole, HDMI cables are for people who wish to have digital sound as well as video .....if you're trying to hook up surround sound, I'd recommend the HDMI cable....

I use component cables (red, blue green) to transfer the signal from my dish box to the tv....I am transferring the video digitally and as I don't give a damn really if my sound is digitial or analog, I'm fine with using the red/white cable to transfer the sound. There really isn't a noticeable difference in picture quality when using HDMI vs component cables.......it's more for the digital pic/sound coming in together.

Archived