A lot of upside = we're gambling with our picks

You know we're in trouble when they start throwing around the [i]upside[/i] comments..

Brat from Bengals.com:
"We had a grouping of players and he was at the top of that grouping," said offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski. "There are things that aren't known publicly about individuals all the time. Whether it's background, whether it's injury, whether it's things like that that people don't know about that get publicized. What we're looking at here is a guy that is a top-notch young man, he's very healthy, [b]and he has a lot of upside.[/b]"

Anyone have any insight on this [i]grouping[/i] nonsense and just how does it equate to winning football games?

In their rankings of particular players, a GROUPING, as he called it, are players with a similar round grade. So, if you looked at all of the players they gave a middle 2nd round grade two, he would have been at the top of that list.

As far as potential... isn't that what all players have coming into the league? Nobody can say who will and won't succeed, but you draft to find players that have the skill sets necessary to compete and excel on your team. Simpson clearly has that with a lot of potential physically, and his measureables are a safer pick to become a starter in this league than some of the other receivers in the draft. He doesn't carry the injury history that some other players have (Sweed & Kelly) or baggage (Hardy & Manningham) and can come in and contribute as a #3 receiver right away.

So what exactly is wrong with all that? Seriously, some people on this board need to check their BUNGLE (sorry for using the term) mindsets at the door and realize that with our current WR situation it was paramount that we protected ourselves for the departure of Chad and/or TJ next season.

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='659064' date='Apr 27 2008, 12:16 AM']You know we're in trouble when they start throwing around the [i]upside[/i] comments..[/quote]

Marvin has always said he looks for players with the potential to continue to improve. Essentially he thinks a lot of the big name players have already peaked. Now of course that isn't always the case, but that is part of his draft philosophy.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='659071' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:34 PM']Would you rather have someone with no room for improvement? I'm confused here. :huh:[/quote]
Yeah, not sure how its a bad thing to have upside, but whatever.

And you cant even say we are gambling on our pickS, because Rivers isnt anything close to a gamble, that comes of course with a lack of upside. You can pencil him in as a good starter who will likely never make a pro bowl. Someone compared him to Brian Simmons and thats an excellent comparison.

At this point, I think I would settle for a Brian Simmons type. At least he stayed healthy and knew where to line up, and he did make some pretty big plays. And let's face it, we haven't had really good LB pass coverage since Brian and Takeo.

That's what sucks about this corps that we have. All of them are talented as hell, and a couple do have the talent to be potential all-time-greats if used the right way. But over half of them are injured, were injured or suspended.

Can't a brotha get some stability??????

I don't mind the upside comment. Wherever he's been, Brat has somehow been surrounded by quality WRs.

In the 2nd round? I would have liked to wait until the 3rd. I guess I would feel alot better about it if he can get on the field and contribute this season.

Rivers - Along with the Longs is probalbly the safest pick in the top 10. Again, position coach has found himself surrounded with Pro Bowl LBs. That's an A+ for me.

Archived