Per Lance's show - Brooks accused of assult

[quote name='globetrotter' post='662474' date='May 2 2008, 05:52 PM']In the house of sand post I call them fringe roster players. You are not providing new information here. Why draft them if you dont want them to make the team. They probably wont be here but if they do make the team I would like to be able to count on them. Reggie McNeal did not help us much on the field but was in the car with Chris Henry when Odell got thumped with the DUI. Getting more questionable characters leads to players thinking such actions are allowable.[/quote]

You have yet to show me ONE team that has found success doing what you say is necessary for the Bengals to find success... Whereas I have provided numerous examples of teams who don't that are either world champions, or have even acheived dynasty status.

I call your argument a house of cards.. Better shut the window.. There's a strong wind brewing.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='662475' date='May 2 2008, 05:53 PM'][img]http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/12/14/1134594035_4687.jpg[/img]

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."
:lol:[/quote]

Poor Jube, I pity you... my heart bleeds purple kool-aid for you.

Really.

:cry:

[quote name='Lucid' post='662481' date='May 2 2008, 04:56 PM']You have yet to show me ONE team that has found success doing what you say is necessary for the Bengals to find success... Whereas I have provided numerous examples of teams who don't that are either world champions, or have even acheived dynasty status.

I call your argument a house of cards.. Better shut the window.. There's a strong wind brewing.[/quote]

Your list of teams with arrests does not show the Giants or Patriots last I checked. And I would gamble neither team drafted two players with records.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='662493' date='May 2 2008, 06:02 PM']Your list of teams with arrests does not show the Giants or Patriots last I checked. And I would gamble neither team drafted two players with records.[/quote]

Whether the Patriots drafted anyone with a record, or a bad character (2007 first ound pick - Merriweather from Miami), they decided to sign Randy Moss last year.

You remember him... the guy who attempted to run over a meter maid in Minnesota and self proclaimed pothead?

How about Michael Strahan? During his divorce last year his wife claimed he was abusive to her, cheated on her (with another man), and tried to leave her penniless.

That makes them both bad character people... or thugs in your book.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='662499' date='May 2 2008, 05:07 PM']Whether the Patriots drafted anyone with a record, or a bad character (2007 first ound pick - Merriweather from Miami), they decided to sign Randy Moss last year.

You remember him... the guy who attempted to run over a meter maid in Minnesota and self proclaimed pothead?

How about Michael Strahan? During his divorce last year his wife claimed he was abusive to her, cheated on her (with another man), and tried to leave her penniless.

That makes them both bad character people... or thugs in your book.[/quote]

One or 2 is okay. The culture and leadership in those cities shut those players up. We don't have that culture and leadership here.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='662504' date='May 2 2008, 05:10 PM']One or 2 is okay. The culture and leadership in those cities shut those players up. We don't have that culture and leadership here.[/quote]

so says the media. 3-4 players on a roster of 53 does not a culture make. There are more than enough high character guys on this team. A short list:

Carson, Utecht, Odom, JT, Ndukwe, Whitworth, Rivers, Lynch, Simpson, Kelly, Coats, Henderson, Dhani, Peko, Willie, Kilmer, and so on. You could say TJ too. I could go on if it was necessary.

You have no idea what the culture of that locker room is.

[quote name='USN Bengal' post='662499' date='May 2 2008, 05:07 PM']Whether the Patriots drafted anyone with a record, or a bad character (2007 first ound pick - Merriweather from Miami), they decided to sign Randy Moss last year.

[color="#FF0000"]How about Michael Strahan? During his divorce last year his wife claimed he was abusive to her, cheated on her (with another man), and tried to leave her penniless.[/color]

That makes them both bad character people... or thugs in your book.[/quote]

Not to mention they just took a chance on manningham.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='662493' date='May 2 2008, 06:02 PM']Your list of teams with arrests does not show the Giants or Patriots last I checked. And I would gamble neither team drafted two players with records.[/quote]

Perhaps not.. I will have to look into that further at another time perhaps, since I am at home and have "life" going on right now. At any rate, I will go ahead and say that even if they don't draft players with "rap sheets", at best your argument goes to show that it would seem to have little bearing on the ability of a franchise to achieve the proper chemistry needed to become champions.

Since teams with plenty of troubled players have succeeded, we can assume (if character had any affect at all, which I do agree with you to some extent) that they were able to overcome it..

However, there is no way of telling if the team(s) who have had success eliminating red flag players (which I am not convinced they exist) would not have achieved success had they not done so.

You argument is based off the belief that that the Bengals lack of success hinges on this philosophy.. And I contend it is a much more dynamic equation that equals success or failure.

Do I think the Bengals have taken some gambles that have bitten them in the ass? I think that is hard to argue against.. However, this does not mean that any future gambles should be looked upon as a mistake.

I think gambles in the later rounds (4-7) is appropriate for such risks, provided they have the appropriate upside.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='662493' date='May 2 2008, 05:02 PM']Your list of teams with arrests does not show the Giants or Patriots last I checked. And I would gamble neither team drafted two players with records.[/quote]

yea, those saintly patriots, all they did was use a top 10 pick on a player arrested for assault.

Archived