Derrick Ward?

[quote]Derrick Ward-RB- Giants Feb. 28 - 11:03 pm et

Derrick Ward made a free agent visit to Philadelphia earlier Saturday, but the Eagles let him leave without a contract.

The Eagles and Bengals have let him leave without a contract and it's apparently because Ward is asking for too much money. He's been the top tailback on the market all along, but Ward's landing spot remains up in the air.[/quote]

[quote]The Broncos' four-year contract agreement with J.J. Arrington is reportedly in danger of falling apart.

"J.J's back in Arizona," his agent said, although he added that "the deal's not dead yet." There are reportedly issues with the contract's language. Denver is also entertaining free agent Derrick Ward, who has much more ability than Arrington. However, Ward allegedly wants "Michael Turner money."[/quote]

[quote]There's been a glitch in the contract between the Broncos and running back J.J. Arrington.

The Broncos and Arrington had reached an agreement in principle Friday on a four- year contract, according to the player's agent, J.R. Rickert. But in reading through the contract language, some issues arose that threaten to kill the deal.

"J.J's back in Arizona," said Rickert, who did complete a four-year contract with the Broncos on another free-agent running back, Correll Buckhalter. "The deal's not dead yet."

There is enough concern, however, for the Broncos to bring in free-agent running back Derrick Ward for a visit today. [b]The Broncos rated Ward as the No. 1 back in this year's free-agent class, but his initial asking price was beyond their budget. [/b]

A splendid backup to Brandon Jacobs with the New York Giants the past two seasons, [b]Ward was seeking a deal similar to the six- year, $34.5 million contract Michael Turner received from Atlanta last season. Turner previously had been a backup to LaDainian Tomlinson in San Diego.

Ward's asking price, however, may be slipping to the Broncos' range after he visited Philadelphia and Cincinnati but left without a contract. [/b]

Ward, 28, rushed for 1,025 yards on just 182 carries last season. He would likely become the Broncos' starting running back with Buckhalter slipping to the 1B position[/quote]

[url="http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11811514"]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11811514[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='751215' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:59 AM'][url="http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11811514"]http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11811514[/url][/quote]
If thats true I can see why we didnt sign him, that is way to much money for him at this stage

[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='751220' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:13 AM']If thats true I can see why we didnt sign him, that is way to much money for him at this stage[/quote]
Agreed. It looks like he's asking for a minimum of 2.5 mil more a year than he's worth, and I emphasize "minimum" in this case. I'd like to sign him, but he's no Michael Turner - not even close.

with Arrington back on the market, would you go after Arrington and Benson? I think that may be a better 2-some for us than Benson/Ward. Arrington is younger and more of a change of pace back to Benson than Ward. Probably cheaper too.

Anyone remember the details of the arrington deal that didn't work out? It wasn't the money that was the problem, but something in the language.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='751238' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:31 AM']with Arrington back on the market, would you go after Arrington and Benson? I think that may be a better 2-some for us than Benson/Ward. Arrington is younger and more of a change of pace back to Benson than Ward. Probably cheaper too.

Anyone remember the details of the arrington deal that didn't work out? It wasn't the money that was the problem, but something in the language.[/quote]

He also is a good returner. If he was to come cheap I would love to have him as Bensons sidekick.

[quote name='Kochman' post='751244' date='Mar 1 2009, 11:34 AM']He also is a good returner. If he was to come cheap I would love to have him as Bensons sidekick.[/quote]
I have wanted Arrington since this whole thing started. Good speed, great hands, solid kick returner. His deal was 4 yrs but no idea on the money, who knows whats going to happen with him and Denver

I have no idea what this means.....does it mean he is still in Cincy....just left Cincy??

[quote]WARD HEADING TO TAMPA AFTER DENVER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2009, 2:43 p.m. EST

Free-agent running back Derrick Ward, whose possible signing by the Broncos could have been boosted by the collapse of contract talks with J.J. Arrington, will be commencing his visit to Denver on Sunday night, a league source tells us.

Next stop after Denver (barring a deal getting done) will be Tampa on Tuesday, per the source.

Despite reports that Ward has visited Philadelphia, we’re told that this has not yet occurred. Ward has been visiting with the Bengals.[/quote]

The Texans are entering the picture also.

[quote]Sources: Interest In Ward Picking Up

Free agent running back Derrick Ward is beginning to gain some more interest around the NFL, according to sources close to the situation.

Ward is in Denver today meeting with the Broncos. In addition, the Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Houston Texans are expressing interest, depending on Ward’s price tag, which has dropped since the free agent market opened.

In 16 games for the Giants last season, Ward rushed for 1,025 yards and caught 41 passes for 384 yards, all career highs.

More on this story as it develops[/quote]

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/sources-interest-in-ward-picking-up/"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...ard-picking-up/[/url]

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='751358' date='Mar 1 2009, 03:12 PM']I have no idea what this means.....does it mean he is still in Cincy....just left Cincy??[/quote]

he left Cincy yesterday and went to Denver. He's now leaving Denver for Tampa.

We should be getting on the phone with J.J. Arrington if we haven't already.

Archived