Chase Coffman in Hard Knocks

Look at 42:00... The coaches seem really happy with Coffman. Marvin said to Hayes, "I think you're gonna have to give Chase every rep he can take."

Another coach said, "I swear, he gets better by leaps and bounds every day."

And I love how Coffman said the line, "step up and [b]take[/b] their role."

Could Coffman be the starter in week one? Him and Coats are an intriguing combination.

[quote name='MaineBengal' date='14 August 2009 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1250223616' post='790682']
Look at 42:00... The coaches seem really happy with Coffman. Marvin said to Hayes, "I think you're gonna have to give Chase every rep he can take."

Could Coffman be the starter in week one? Him and Coats are an intriguing combination.
[/quote]

i dont think there are any doubts with his catching abilities.. just a matter of his blocking ability by then...
its POSSBILE.. but unless he has t down pat.. coates would get the nod.. he was here the last two years and knows the scheme inside and out..

[quote name='MaineBengal' date='14 August 2009 - 01:20 PM' timestamp='1250223616' post='790682']
Look at 42:00... The coaches seem really happy with Coffman. Marvin said to Hayes, "[b]I think you're gonna have to give Chase every rep he can take[/b]."

[/quote]
I took this the other way, fwiw. More that without Kelly and Utecht on the roster, they would have to rely on Coffman to more than they'd initially planned... and therefore he was going to need more reps so that he could improve enough to be able to contribute on Sundays.

I'm not down on the kid by any stretch, but I'm thinking he needs more work, and that's what they want him to get, so that they are not forced to go out and find a FA TE on the waiver wire, and instead can rely on the guy who is already on the roster.

[size="5"][b]Bengals rookie TE Coffman forced to learn quickly[/b][/size]
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes | Thursday, August 13, 2009, 03:38 PM

If you watched the first episode of the HBO series ‘Hard Knocks’ Cincinnati Bengals Training Camp, you most likely witnessed tight end Chase Coffman receiving Gomer Pyle-type treatment for his share of rookie mistakes.

Tight ends coach Jon Hayes was the drill sergeant, ordering Coffman to drop and give him 15 pushups for every missed assignment during film studies. Effective punishment no doubt, but let me tell you those were no Billy Blanks pushups Coffman was doing. He got away with several chintzy reps. Tae Bo tapes are on there way to Georgetown, Ky.

With a season-ending Achilles’ injury to starting tight end Reggie Kelly and backup Ben Utecht going down with a concussion, Coffman has been forced to grow up quickly. The rookie third-round pick is expected to make his starting debut for the Bengals on Friday night in their preseason game against the New Orleans Saints.

Although Coffman has experienced some growing pains, he is making definite progress.

“It’s too bad that those guys went down with injuries,” Coffman said during a one-on-one interview after practice last week. “You hate to see that but at the same time you have to be prepared to step up and fill the spot. For me, it’s an opportunity to get more and more reps. Being in there has helped me progress and gives me an opportunity to start doing things a lot quicker than I expected. Now I just have to step up and make plays.”

Coffman was an impact player at Missouri and the recipient of the 2008 John Mackey Award, given annually to the nation’s top tight end. He finished the ‘08 season with 90 catches for 987 yards and 10 touchdowns.

“I’m seeing myself as the starter right now,” Coffman said. “I’m going to keep working to get better and better so that I can keep this spot. If not, give the coaching staff confidence to put me in there and play.”

Hayes has stayed on Coffman hard to keep working and learning assignments.

Teammate Jordan Palmer approached Coffman after practice on the day Utecht went down and offered these words of encouragement to the rookie: “God doesn’t put people in positions that he doesn’t think they can succeed in.”

Those words boosted the player’s spirits.

“I’ve been waiting for this opportunity all my life and now it is here,” he said. “I’m ready to step into this role and to perform the way I know how. I know I still have a long way to go, but I am prepared to make that next step and perform.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/entries/2009/08/13/bengals_rookie_te_coffman_forc.html

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='14 August 2009 - 01:25 AM' timestamp='1250223955' post='790684']
[b]I took this the other way, fwiw. More that without Kelly and Utecht on the roster, they would have to rely on Coffman to more than they'd initially planned... and therefore he was going to need more reps so that he could improve enough to be able to contribute on Sundays.[/b]

I'm not down on the kid by any stretch, but I'm thinking he needs more work, and that's what they want him to get, so that they are not forced to go out and find a FA TE on the waiver wire, and instead can rely on the guy who is already on the roster.
[/quote]

x2

Archived