Did the Bengals pick the wrong Tackle?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='03 September 2009 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1251988514' post='797574']
His nasty attitude and play has followed him since high school...

Andre comes off to me as a spoiled little fat kid....

Honestly, I hope just like anyone else that Andre pans out, but he has done absolutely NOTHING right so far....

He got suspended from his bowl game.
He changed agents twice.
He left the combine without working out and showed up out of shape when he should have been ready for the biggest interview of his life.
He ran that gawd awful 40 yard dash that is burned into everyone's memory while having a very ordinary workout.
He held out of camp for 30 days and showed up at 364lbs(35 lbs over his playing weight.
He has now had three practices and broke his foot.

I am not by any means saying that I am convinced Oher will be a better player. I am just saying his pro career is getting off to a WAY better start is all.
[/quote]

You really can't argue this. In the past 9 months or so, Andre has made bad decision after bad decision.

Also, he has heard for the past year how he was soft and overweight and didn't have a good work ethic. If that is me, I make sure that I show up at camp at a normal weight and in decent shape. He showed up 30+ pounds overweight looking like crap.

I was in favor of drafting Andre Smith (by default almost, just a crappy draft), but as fans we have to admit that things have gotten off to a really rocky start.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='03 September 2009 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1251992414' post='797609']
bobbie shouldnt be asking for anything outrageous pay wise. and we would certainly want him on the roster as backup vs guys like rolland or kooistra and so on.. so i think we could keep him for 3 years 9 mil.

and bring in a true LT

LT - Whit - Cook - Bobbie - Andre

that would be a pretty big line...and if Shirley takes over for Bobbie at some point.. even bigger.. enormous actually..
[/quote]

Don't we have a true LT in Collins? He's prototypical there IMO. Collins-White-Cook-Bobbie-Smith......that's your best 5 lineman on the current roster so that would make sense to me.

I think Shirley's got what it takes to take over at RG in 2 yrs.

[quote name='happyrid' date='03 September 2009 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1251994336' post='797629']
You really can't argue this. In the past 9 months or so, Andre has made bad decision after bad decision.

Also, he has heard for the past year how he was soft and overweight and didn't have a good work ethic. If that is me, I make sure that I show up at camp at a normal weight and in decent shape. He showed up 30+ pounds overweight looking like crap.

I was in favor of drafting Andre Smith (by default almost, just a crappy draft), but as fans we have to admit that things have gotten off to a really rocky start.
[/quote]

How can you fault him for running with his shirt off? The man took off 25-30 lbs for his pro day and was proud of that fact so he decided to run with his shirt off. Good for him. If you saw him today and saw him at his pro day workout, his body is significantly different. His arms even had definition that day. Dude's 21 yrs or so old......he can lose the weight easily and he's been known to keep himself at a good playing weight if he's pushed. I don't think we'll have (m)any problem with him.

[quote name='Le Tigre' date='03 September 2009 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1251991058' post='797594']
In retrospect, Monroe would have been the best of the three.
[/quote]

It is way to early to say this. None of them have played enough to know yet. Oher may have been the best bargain in the draft at #23, but Drewas the pick to make at #6. He is bigger and more powerful than Oher. I an a huge SEC fan and I saw them both play a lot. I think they both will be very good NFL OTs, but i am still glad we got Dre.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='03 September 2009 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1251991206' post='797596']
i think they extend bobbie 1-3 more years..

and i dont think andre replaces him at guard unless he has issues at RT.. he looks like a prototypical RT to me..
[/quote]

Bobbie turns 33 this month. I think he has one more year after this. We should draft his eventual replacement next year and give him one year to learn behind Bobbie.

[quote name='IKOTA' date='03 September 2009 - 01:35 PM' timestamp='1251995740' post='797639']
How can you fault him for running with his shirt off? The man took off 25-30 lbs for his pro day and was proud of that fact so he decided to run with his shirt off. Good for him. If you saw him today and saw him at his pro day workout, his body is significantly different. His arms even had definition that day. Dude's 21 yrs or so old......he can lose the weight easily and he's been known to keep himself at a good playing weight if he's pushed. I don't think we'll have (m)any problem with him.
[/quote]

I don't really care if he ran with his shirt off. Not a big deal one way or the other. Definitely not the decision I would have made.

Still, I don't think there is any way to say that he hasn't made some bad decisions. Whatever he did to get suspended for the Sugar Bowl. Whatever went down at the combine didn't reflect well on him. Changing his agent a couple times and eventually settling on a guy with no experience. Then finally showing up to camp 2 weeks before the season is supposed to start 30 pounds overweight. Even if he can lose it quickly, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time. Plus, all the time he spends on conditioning is time he doesn't spend working on technique and learning the plays.

[quote name='happyrid' date='03 September 2009 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1252005074' post='797673']
I don't really care if he ran with his shirt off. Not a big deal one way or the other. Definitely not the decision I would have made.

Still, I don't think there is any way to say that he hasn't made some bad decisions. Whatever he did to get suspended for the Sugar Bowl. Whatever went down at the combine didn't reflect well on him. Changing his agent a couple times and eventually settling on a guy with no experience. Then finally showing up to camp 2 weeks before the season is supposed to start 30 pounds overweight. Even if he can lose it quickly, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time. Plus, all the time he spends on conditioning is time he doesn't spend working on technique and learning the plays.
[/quote]

The only real "mistake" he made was showing up out of shape. The other crap is more about getting bad advice, and just not really knowing the proper way to go about things. I blame all this shit on his agent.. These kids are in over their heads when trying to transition from college to the pros. That's what agents are for, to make sure their clients make the right decisions and to take care of the more complex aspects of becoming a pro.

And the suspension from the bowl game was a NCAA suspension for improper contact with an agent. First, I believe Keels wasn't registered in the state, and they made contact to early.. We don't know what happened, but if I were to guess, it would be that Keels contacted him.. Either way it's hard to fault Andre for this.

[quote name='Lucid' date='03 September 2009 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1252005812' post='797675']
The only real "mistake" he made was showing up out of shape. The other crap is more about getting bad advice, and just not really knowing the proper way to go about things. I blame all this shit on his agent.. These kids are in over their heads when trying to transition from college to the pros. That's what agents are for, to make sure their clients make the right decisions and to take care of the more complex aspects of becoming a pro.

And the suspension from the bowl game was a NCAA suspension for improper contact with an agent. First, I believe Keels wasn't registered in the state, and they made contact to early.. We don't know what happened, but if I were to guess, it would be that Keels contacted him.. Either way it's hard to fault Andre for this.
[/quote]

So under your theory Keels got Smith suspended for the last game of his college career and then ended up costing him millions of dollars with a poor showing at the combine, but we still can't fault Smith for sticking with this idiot (even after he already had another agent)???

Don't get me wrong, Keels sucks, but at some point Smith is responsible for his representation. And, of course, the Bengals (imo) look pretty foolish for letting these two idiots (Keel and Smith) trick them into thinking Smith had moved on to another agent.

All in all, I think we will probably look back on this as one of the worst draft picks in Bengals history. I honestly think they would have been better served to just swap picks with someone lower in the round, with no additional compensation (maybe a 5th-7th round pick for appearance's sake), given that choosing Smith that high basically screwed the team out of an important player for 2009. (A result that was widely predicted right after the draft, btw.) I hope I'm wrong, though.

[quote name='top6' date='03 September 2009 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1252007577' post='797680']
So under your theory Keels got Smith suspended for the last game of his college career and then ended up costing him millions of dollars with a poor showing at the combine, but we still can't fault Smith for sticking with this idiot (even after he already had another agent)???

Don't get me wrong, Keels sucks, but at some point Smith is responsible for his representation. And, of course, the Bengals (imo) look pretty foolish for letting these two idiots (Keel and Smith) trick them into thinking Smith had moved on to another agent.

[b]All in all, I think we will probably look back on this as one of the worst draft picks in Bengals history.[/b] I honestly think they would have been better served to just swap picks with someone lower in the round, with no additional compensation (maybe a 5th-7th round pick for appearance's sake), given that choosing Smith that high basically screwed the team out of an important player for 2009. (A result that was widely predicted right after the draft, btw.) I hope I'm wrong, though.
[/quote]
Holy shit...really? Dude has been a Bengal for what 5 days now and he's already as bad as Klingler and Akili? I think you may have jumped the gun just a tad.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' date='03 September 2009 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1252008918' post='797684']
Holy shit...really? Dude has been a Bengal for what 5 days now and he's already as bad as Klingler and Akili? I think [b]you may have jumped the gun just a tad[/b].
[/quote]

Maybe, but no more than the 100+ posters on here who have already called this one of the best drafts the Bengals have ever had.

And OK, fair enough, there's no way it can be as Akili. I always try to forget that ever happened.

[quote]All in all, I think we will probably look back on this as one of the worst draft picks in Bengals history.[/quote]

Is the sky falling too?

Dumb. I have no idea what the future holds for Andre Smith, but keep in mind that almost the exact senario happened with Willie Anderson.

While Paul may not be the greatest at finding late round O-Line talent his record at hitting on high round O-Line talent is pretty good.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='03 September 2009 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1251990574' post='797591']
his agent is a peice of shit and a horrible agent, thats for sure.

i dont think that part should reflect poorly on AS tho.
[/quote]

Andre Smith said the same thing back in February before the Combine (almost verbatim). I know i posted it, i'll try to find it.

[quote name='top6' date='03 September 2009 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1252010320' post='797688']
Maybe, but [b]no more than the 100+ posters on here who have already called this one of the best drafts the Bengals have ever had.[/b]

And OK, fair enough, there's no way it can be as Akili. I always try to forget that ever happened.
[/quote]
That's true. But the others have at least shown against NFL competition that they can compete and have shown flashes that they can dominate, as expected. And the team agrees, since out of 11 picks, only Fui and the 7th round receiver (Freddie Brown I think?) probably wont make the team. You gotta admit that's a good draft.

Smith hasn't shown that he sucks, just that he's young and lacks self discipline.

[quote name='msharp16' date='03 September 2009 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1252010949' post='797690']
Andre Smith said the same thing back in February before the Combine (almost verbatim). I know i posted it, i'll try to find it.
[/quote]
Keels musta sucked his titties or something. Or has pictures of somebody else doing it.
:ninja:

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='03 September 2009 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1251983670' post='797544']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzDEpKYqGbo&feature=related[/media]

Watch him in the first two highlights.....the Bengals have always needed this type of attitude.
[/quote]
Why do people always worry about what they couldve done?
Fuck that highlight I dont need to see it he's not a Bengal. AS is. Try rooting for your team once in a while.

Archived