Winslow hurt in motorcycle accident

Guest BengalBacker

Guest Bengal_Smoov

Winslow should've know better, it's kinda funny besides the whole injury thing. I can just picture "da soulja" riding his bike with his helmet on but not strapped(why even wear one if your not going to use it? :rolleyes: ), he hits the curb and flies over the handle bars, that sounds like a sketch from Mad TV or something like that. Winslow has done nothing in the NFL and he has this attitude like he's the shit becuase of his father or what he did in college, he really fucked up and made it easier for his critics to say "I told you so". I hope he recovers for the broken ribs so we can break them again when we play the Browns.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='May 2 2005, 04:06 PM']natural selection.

if making a fool of yourself calling a lousy college football team a group of "soldiers" when there are people your age being KILLED to defend you doesnt make you realise what you have then you have problems.

even after that coming into a team as a rookie, holding out, calling out your veteran teammates, then getting sidelined with injury and proving nothing to anyone other than your lack of respect for anyone but yourself doesnt teach you anything..

then fucking around on a motorcycle with some friends while you should be recovering from a season ending injury to finally prove yourself not smart enough to even buckle your helmet..

you cant feel sorry for something this god damn stupid.

the kid if a multimillionaire and doesnt even have to play football anymore...

MUST BE ROUGH!
[right][post="87204"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
GREAT POST!

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://www.stuntdan.com/images/credits/motorcycle_crash.jpg[/img]

[i]Now everybody in Queefland is doing the "Winslow"[/i]

[quote name='NativeTheory' date='May 2 2005, 08:35 PM']apparently this accident will be very costly for him due to language in his contract specifying against any endangering activities such as riding a motorcycle.
[right][post="87272"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

sweet justice would be if he had to pay back all the money he got...

Guest BengalBacker
Stole this from Tourist on the huddles board:

On Dawg talk the speculation on injuries is:

Collapsed lung, lacerated kidney, shoulder damage (maybe broken), and knee damage.

But there is still no official word yet from the browns

And there is also this:

Browns | Winslow Stands to Lose Money - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 2 May 2005 19:47:07 -0700

Adam Schefter, reports for NFL.com, Cleveland Browns TE Kellen Winslow Jr. stands to lose a good deal of money because of his recent motorcycle accident. His incentive-laden, six-year, $40 million contract is littered with language that forbids "hazardous activities" such as motorcycling. The team could possibly ask Winslow to return the $4.4 million option bonus they paid him March 1, as well as a significant portion of the $6 million signing bonus they paid him last year. His contract also has salary escalators which he may not be able to obtain, depending on how long his injuries keep him sidelined.

According to profootballtalk.com, KWII could lose 9 mil due to contract stipulations about not engaging in dangerous activities like [i]riding a motorcycle[/i]

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm[/url]

will winslow ever play for the browns?? i really don't see winslow and edwards co-existing.

fuck him. I dont wish pain on anyone, well, most Americans at least. He is shit head anyway. And he plays for the Clowns. Its a good thing he is a soldier and can go back to the Army after the NFL. Oh wait, he's not a REAL soldier?

Guest OzBengal
Yeah that was kind of stupid. He has already lost alot of money thanks to the Poston Brothers who put some clause in his contract that he wouldnt be paid if he didnt play for 35% of playing time. He could end up being the lowest paid #7 pick in recent memory.

Guest CTBengalsFan
He got what was coming to him for being a dumbass, can't say I feel bad at all, since I'm sure he's a whiney brat who went to "Duh U" and thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

apparently, he is fucked. Is he ever playing again?

[url="http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8438297"]http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8438297[/url]

First and foremost, Browns tight end Kellen Winslow's injuries from his motorcycle crash are not life-threatening. That's the fortunate news.

The unfortunate news is they could be extremely costly. Winslow's incentive-laden, six-year, $40 million contract is littered with language that forbids "hazardous activities" such as "motorcycling." This means that Winslow has put the majority of the contract at risk. The Browns now could ask Winslow to return the $4.4 million option bonus they paid him March 1, as well as a significant portion of the $6 million signing bonus they paid him last year.

Then there are the salary escalators in Winslow's contract, none of which he can achieve if he's not on the field. With his latest injuries, Winslow stands to lose a $2 million salary escalator in 2006, another $3 million salary escalator in 2007, and salary escalators throughout his deal that are scheduled to run through 2009.

This says nothing of his base salary, which he could not collect without playing. Winslow already lost $5.4 million worth of incentives last season when he broke his leg. Now he stands to lose millions more from a contract that was based heavily on playing time. His motorcycle accident jeopardizes the remainder of his contract.

[quote name='whodey319' date='May 3 2005, 08:12 AM']apparently, he is fucked.  Is he ever playing again?

[url="http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8438297"]http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8438297[/url]
First and foremost, Browns tight end Kellen Winslow's injuries from his motorcycle crash are not life-threatening. That's the fortunate news.

The unfortunate news is they could be extremely costly. Winslow's incentive-laden, six-year, $40 million contract is littered with language that forbids "hazardous activities" such as "motorcycling." This means that Winslow has put the majority of the contract at risk. The Browns now could ask Winslow to return the $4.4 million option bonus they paid him March 1, as well as a significant portion of the $6 million signing bonus they paid him last year.

Then there are the salary escalators in Winslow's contract, none of which he can achieve if he's not on the field. With his latest injuries, Winslow stands to lose a $2 million salary escalator in 2006, another $3 million salary escalator in 2007, and salary escalators throughout his deal that are scheduled to run through 2009.

This says nothing of his base salary, which he could not collect without playing. Winslow already lost $5.4 million worth of incentives last season when he broke his leg. Now he stands to lose millions more from a contract that was based heavily on playing time. His motorcycle accident jeopardizes the remainder of his contract.
[right][post="87448"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

This post is similar to previous ones but explains wording of standard contracts and Winslow's contract. From Pasquarelli

ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli reports the availability of Winslow for the 2005 season is not the only thing at risk. Beyond the injuries, there are possible financial ramifications as well, and Winslow may have given the team an opportunity to recover a portion of his signing bonus and option bonus, if he is found to be in breach of his contract.
Section 3 of the NFL's standard player contract stipulates, in part, that a "player will not engage in … any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury. … Player therefore agrees that club will have the right … to enjoin the player from engaging in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of injury."

But two league sources said Monday night that Winslow's contract includes language which is even more specific and limiting, and which expressly forbids riding a motorcycle. Many teams include such specific language in the addendums to contracts, especially those involving high-round draft choices. An agent who negotiated the contracts of some high-round Cleveland draft choices in recent years said the Browns routinely include such restrictions.

Guest Master Shake
Unless his injuries are career threatening, which so far it doesn't seem like they are, then I don't think the Browns would void his contract.
I mean, they can't afford to just dump a player that talented no matter how dumb he is.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 3 2005, 01:49 PM']The question is, can they revoke big portions of his signing bonus, etc, without actually terminating the whole contract because he violated a clause?

That I would love to see...
[right][post="87581"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I hope they pay him. If they don't, they have that money back to spend on other players. As much as I don't like Winslow, I hate the Browns more.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote]Setting aside for now the question of whether Browns tight end "Evel Kellenievel" Winslow should have been riding a motorcycle as he still rehabs from a broken leg that scuttled his 2004 rookie season (and prevented him from [b]earning a big-money bonus payment by failing to participate in 30 percent of the team's offensive snaps[/b]), we've gotten a look-see at Winslow's contract, which indicates that he shouldn't have been riding a motorcycle at all.  Ever.  Period.

As a general matter, [b]Winslow has breached Paragraph 3 of his contract, which prevents him from "engag[ing] in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury[/b]."

And this breach could have significant consequences.  Winslow's motorcycling allows the team (if it so chooses) to recover [b]$5 million of his initial signing bonus and the full $4.4125 million of his option bonus triggered at the outset of the 2005 league year, $2.4125 million of which won't actually be paid to Winslow until July 15[/b].

So the total potential price tag on Winslow's deliberate failure to comply with the terms of his contract is a whopping $9.4125 million.

Under the contract, Winslow becomes potentially responsible to pay back the bonus money due to "[/B](Emphasis added.)

The bottom line is that, [b]under the terms of Winslow's deal, getting injured while motorcycling is no different that walking away from his contractual obligations, a la Ricky Williams did nearly a year ago[/b]. 

In either case, the club can recover bonus money.

And in Winslow's case, he could end up forking over more than $9 million.

The bigger question is whether the Browns should make a grab for Winslow's $9 million.  Since the guy that drafted Winslow is long gone and given that we can't imagine Winslow and 2005 first-round pick Braylon Edwards co-existing in the same conference much less in the same locker room, we think the Browns should send Winslow a bill for $9.4125 million, and then let nature take its course.

If nothing else, such a move could help the Browns recoup a major chunk of Butch Davis' buyout.[/quote]

This is the article from Profootballtalk.com, the solider is screwed. I can't see him playing this year. With these injuries so close to camp it's going to be impossible for him to heal up enough to take the pounding of a NFL season, he might be out of the league before he gets a chance to play game.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 3 2005, 01:08 PM']I hope they pay him. If they don't, they have that money back to spend on other players. As much as I don't like Winslow, I hate the Browns more.
[right][post="87597"][/post][/right][/quote]
You're right. I was looking at it from a "punish an individual Browns player for stupidity" point of view, and I didn't think about the fact that the Browns punishing Winslow the player will actually monetarily benefit the Browns as a team.

I hope they give Winslow a raise!
B)

Archived