Hobson breaks down the Roster Battles

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[b][color="blue"]Hobson breaks down the Roster battles....[/color][/b]

[u]Hobson's Choice: No shortage of roster scrums
5/9/2005 -
[/u]

[i]What positions do you think will have the most competition during training camp? I saw a breakdown of the linebacking corps and it seemed pretty loaded with players? Also, what's the latest with Chris Perry? Will he be ready to go for training camp? And what are our options should he get hurt again? It seems Kenny Watson is the only one should that happen. Aside from Quincy Wilson, there's only fullbacks left on the roster. Is this a concern at all to the coaches? Great interview with Odell Thurman by the way.
Darren NYC[/i]

DARREN: You won’t be able to tell the players without a scorecard at backer, defensive line, offensive line, and wide receiver when they get to Georgetown. The latest on Perry is the latest he’ll be back on the field is early June. Going off what happened last year, they have to be satisfied with what Kenny Watson gave them backing up Rudi Johnson.
If Perry isn’t healthy, the question seems to be if they think Watson can carry the ball 200 to 250 times in a season if Johnson can’t. Watson only carried 26 times last season (Johnson has done at least that in six games), but as a rookie in 2002 he carried 116 times in backing up Stephen Davis at 4.6 yards per shot. That would seem to offer some comfort and what else can you do if you keep three running backs and just one fullback?

That is how the roster has broken down in the recent past: 4 RBs, 3QBs, 6 WRs, 3 TEs, 10 OL, 8 DL, 7 LBs, 9 DBs, 1 Kicker, 1 Punter, 1 Long Snapper for 53.

They could decide to keep six backers and 10 DBs depending on how people play in the preseason. That means you have mega battles at backer and receiver.

Just do a for instance with the wide receivers. Figure Chad, T.J. and the two rookies, Chris Henry and Tab Perry, make it. Is Peter Warrick healthy, and who makes it out of Kelley Washington,. Kevin Walter, Cliff Russell, and Jamall Broussard, just to name a few?

And at backer, you’ve got starters Brian Simmons, Landon Johnson, and David Pollack. At backups, say you’ve got Odell Thurman and Caleb Miller. What do you do with the injured Nate Webster if he’s not ready for the opener? Plus, you also have guys like Khalid Abdullah and Marcus Wilkins, special teams stars of the past two seasons, and versatile Larry Stevens. Just to name a few.

Offensive line is another battleground. If Rich Braham re-signs, what happens to veteran Larry Moore and does coveted free-agent rookie center Ben Wilkerson make the roster, or do they risk he clears waivers and put him on the practice squad? Then there’s Stacy Andrews trying to win the job as the third tackle.

No, never a dull moment in Bengaldom.

Odell, the Takeo Look-Alike, certainly carried that interview, didn’t he? He should have no problems in this media market if he talks like Chad and plays like Spikes.

Guest BlackJesus

[i][color="green"]Perry now won't be ready till June.... :huh:

If he doesn't play this year I am busting out the Kijana Photoshops [/color]
[/i]

If Chris Perry doesn't play this year that was one of the worst picks ever. My man from the Ohio State Buckeyes was there for the taking in Chris Gamble. Gamble will be a pro bowler within 2 years. Then we coulda drafted Madieu williams and Starks DT in the 2nd round. Damn this sucks but ohh well. I think Chris Perry will play and be fine. Why is it that when I usually think a pick sucks it ends up sucking?? I should be a GM. On tha real though Perry is a good rb if healthy I just didn't know about picking a RB that high.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='WHODEYNATION' date='May 10 2005, 02:37 AM']its time to say bye-bye to nate webster :rolleyes:

B)
[right][post="90503"][/post][/right][/quote]

Sad but true, although I would rather have him than Larry Stevens or Marcus Wilkens, when the Manster is healthy he's a problem. Unfortunately his salary might be his un-doing, but I hope he heals up in time for camp.

At wr we should have a good bunch, even if we don't bring in Jerry Rice :rolleyes: ...... -_- ....... :D . I hope these young guys can catch the damn ball first and foremost, we need guys who can run good routes and catch the ball.

I wish we had more competition on the interior line than Bryan Robinson and JT, I don't think we were that good up front to be satisified with just adding Robinson. If Warrick or Webster gets cut, hopefully we can pick another DT. I hope one of the young guys steps it up this year at that position, they have a great opportunity. With DT being such a vital position it's alarming we don't have more quality depth at that position, imo. JT and B-Rob are good guys and solid players but another guy similar to their skill set level would be ideal.

The up-coming mini-camps should be very interesting to see how guys like Abdullah, Miller, Askew, Myles, Warrick, Perry, Henry, and Andrews perform. I think Andrews will be the biggest story, with Myles making so noise too. Next weeks going to be exciting, the season is drawing nigh.

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='May 10 2005, 03:24 AM']Perry now won't be ready till June....  :huh:

If he doesn't play this year I am busting out the Kijana Photoshops[/quote]

I didn't think Perry was supposed to be ready until June. Did I miss an article that had him coming back sooner? I thought for sure they wanted to just let those hernias heal up for longer than expected just to be certain.

[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 10 2005, 09:52 AM']I didn't think Perry was supposed to be ready until June. Did I miss an article that had him coming back sooner? I thought for sure they wanted to just let those hernias heal up for longer than expected just to be certain.
[right][post="90536"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yea, mongo, I think some people were quick to hit the panic button. They need to relax a bit; the article said: "...the [color="red"]latest [/color]he’ll be back on the field is early June." Even if the article had said "...the [color="red"]earliest[/color] he'll be back on the field is early June", they need to realize that June 1st is only three weeks from tomorrow.

On the other hand, two sentences later, Hobson starts with "If Perry isn't healthy..." I think that this may have understandably led some to believe that Perry is not healing as expected.

Hopefully, Hobson was just throwing this out there to address Darren's questions: "And what are our options should he get hurt again? It seems Kenny Watson is the only one should that happen. Aside from Quincy Wilson, there's only fullbacks left on the roster. Is this a concern at all to the coaches?"

In any event, I believe that most all of us here are comforted by the fact that Marvin is running this ship.

Who-Dey!

The one thing that caught me off guard is where Hobson questions whether Wilkerson makes the roster or the practice squad. If I remember correctly in a prior article Marvin mentioned that Wilkerson was assured a roster spot, so he didn't need to rush back. There is no way he clears waivers in my opinion. I'd cut Moore's ass before I put Wilkerson on the practice squad.

Yeah, this is when I figured Perry would come back. I thought the convention wisdom had been stating that early June is when Perry would return. I am fine with Watson as the number two, but I still want to see what a healthy Perry can do.

I have a bad feeling about Nate. It looks like one of those things that just won't work out. Maybe we could get him to restructure, but I doubt it.

Guest OSUBengal
[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 10 2005, 09:52 AM']I didn't think Perry was supposed to be ready until June. Did I miss an article that had him coming back sooner? I thought for sure they wanted to just let those hernias heal up for longer than expected just to be certain.
[right][post="90536"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

yea I always heard june as well. No need to rush him along during the offseason. As long as he's keeping himself healthy and in shape, he will be fine come training camp.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='May 10 2005, 11:30 AM']The one thing that caught me off guard is where Hobson questions whether Wilkerson makes the roster or the practice squad. If I remember correctly in a prior article Marvin mentioned that Wilkerson was assured a roster spot, so he didn't need to rush back. There is no way he clears waivers in my opinion. [right][post="90547"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

How the hell can you guarantee a roster spot to an undrafted free agent? That just doesn't make any sense. Does the IR count against our roster? Is there a limit to the number of guys you can put on IR? Doesn't IR mean that he can't play for the entire year?

Wilkerson could be the steal of the year, but I don't think he is going to be ready to play much this season.

Guest OSUBengal
[quote name='fredtoast' date='May 10 2005, 10:37 AM']How the hell can you guarantee a roster spot to an undrafted free agent?  That just doesn't make any sense.  Does the IR count against our roster?  Is there a limit to the number of guys you can put on IR?  Doesn't IR mean that he can't play for the entire year?

Wilkerson could be the steal of the year, but I don't think he is going to be ready to play much this season.
[right][post="90551"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I wouldn't call Wilkerson your average undrafted free agent. He wasn't overlooked for lack of talent.

Guest mongoloido
Yeah, not sure about the Wilkerson part. There's no way the guy makes it through waivers to get to the practice squad. It sounded like far too many teams tried to sign him after the draft for that one to work out in our favor. I think the push is for Andrews to show enough knowledge this camp to have the coaches comfortable with him going into games this season. If Stacy can go from project to player, even as a backup, that gives the Bengals the ability to cut a player and keep Wilkerson as this year's project.

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='CornerBlitZ' date='May 10 2005, 03:36 AM']If Chris Perry doesn't play this year that was one of the worst picks ever.  My man from the Ohio State Buckeyes was there for the taking in Chris Gamble.  Gamble will be a pro bowler within 2 years.  Then we coulda drafted Madieu williams and Starks DT in the 2nd round.  Damn this sucks but ohh well.  I think Chris Perry will play and be fine.  Why is it that when I usually think a pick sucks it ends up sucking??  I should be a GM.   On tha real though Perry is a good rb if healthy I just didn't know about picking a RB that high.
[right][post="90502"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'd rather have Keiwan than Gamble.

But, yeah, Starks at some point would have been nice.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Jason' date='May 10 2005, 12:26 PM']Or, we could have stayed at 17, and taken Wilfork.  Then we would have Kiewan and Tory starting at CB, and a better D-line.
[right][post="90569"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

We'd have gotten slaughtered with Ratliff starting last year.

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='May 10 2005, 11:42 AM']Fuggin Perry. Well.. that's an interesting article. I'd be happy with Kenny as our #2.
[right][post="90553"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Im happy with Kenny as a 3rd down back, but if Rudi gets hurt and Perry isnt ready to go, the idea of Kenny as a every down back scares me.... no offence man but you really rate Kenny too high, he didnt get it done as the #1 after Stephen Davis left the skins and he will only ever be a #2 backup who could never take over the starting role if the #1 got hurt.

[quote name='mongoloido' date='May 10 2005, 12:32 PM']We'd have gotten slaughtered with Ratliff starting last year.
[right][post="90570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No worse than when Madieu was starting at CB. And Kiewan improved as the year went on, as did the rest of the team. He did well at the end of the year when Deltha was hurt.

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='Jason' date='May 10 2005, 01:01 PM']No worse than when Madieu was starting at CB.  And Kiewan improved as the year went on, as did the rest of the team.  He did well at the end of the year when Deltha was hurt.
[right][post="90579"][/post][/right][/quote]

Of course he would have done worse than Madieu. Madieu showed the talent to start for the team from game one. Ratliff didn't play at all until Madieu got hurt, and didn't start even when he did play. Ratliff will be fine this year, but he wasn't ready at all for the NFL for at least the first half of the season... Bah. What's the point of this? We have the players we have and I'm happy with them. Perry will be fine and Gamble can jump off a pier. :)

You heard it first, Perry will be back and ready to play ball in June. All the Perry-Haters will be eating there words. Just imagine a Rudi and Perry tandem in the backfield, another weapon for Palmer. I see a lot of balls going Perrys way. :P

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='cincyjon' date='May 10 2005, 02:12 PM']...I see a lot of balls going Perrys way. :P
[right][post="90601"][/post][/right][/quote]

Anyone else find that vaguely homoerotic?

[quote name='fredtoast' date='May 10 2005, 11:37 AM']How the hell can you guarantee a roster spot to an undrafted free agent?  That just doesn't make any sense.  Does the IR count against our roster?  Is there a limit to the number of guys you can put on IR?  Doesn't IR mean that he can't play for the entire year?

[right][post="90551"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well if you don't guarentee him a spot, then you guarentee someone will take him. Which would make the whole point of signing him useless. Five teams offered him a signing bonus to come and play with them. He took less to come here. I doubt that they would pass on him if he came through the waiver wire. I want him on this team. He is the center of the future.

Archived