Cincinnati .....

Guest BlackJesus

What is Cincinnati closer too .... ?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is Cincinnati closer too .... ?

• A Northern City
    • A Southern Style City

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://www.winddancer.tv/images/cincinnati%20from%20the%20ohio%20river%20kentucky%20side.JPG[/img]

Interesting question that we haven't discussed.

Obviously based on Geography Cincinnati is right on the Border of North and South. To the North you have Industrial style manafacturing cities reminescent of the North. To the south you have Southern style hickvilles and Country music, etc etc.

This begs the question is Cincinnati a Southern or a Northern City ???

Historically Cincinnati was seen as a Northern haven from Slavery (end point on the Underground railroad) but more recently some racial strife have led some to say that Cincy still has a southern feel and hasn't shaken some of the ghosts of the south.

I think this is what makes Cincinnati so unique that it is a tough question. Although if forced to make a decision I would say "Southern".

I've only been to Cincinnati twice, and both times I stayed in KY. I would characterize is as a southernly city in the North. That is if you compare it to other major northern and NE cities. However, if compared to anywhere south of I-75 then that is a different story.

Guest BlackJesus
[b]I think Cincy has more culture than the average Northern City... especially in the Midwest. Also my experience in the Nati is that the people do have some of that Southern Hospitality you find in the south. [/b]

the attitude in the nati is closer to a southern style but the type of manufacturing that is found in the region suggests its a more northern style city, it all depends on the location or region within the greater cincy area

if i had to, i would say that everything south of dayton (not including dayton) is much closer to the "normal" southern type of peoples and lifestyles, bu tlike i said... the distinction u have made would led me to believe i should call it northern based on manufacturing alone

i guess i would call anything south of dayton more of a southern style of people and life but with more of a manufacturing center than typical southern cities

the greater cinci region is definitly more southern then norther, just look at the average inhabitants background

[quote name='jza10304' date='May 19 2005, 04:38 PM']I've only been to Cincinnati twice, and both times I stayed in KY.  I would characterize is as a southernly city in the North.  That is if you compare it to other major northern and NE cities.  However, if compared to anywhere south of I-75 then that is a different story.
[right][post="94308"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I-75 runs north/south...

Guest BlackJesus
[b]It is funny how New Engladers call it Cincinnucky and think it is all Kentucky and then how I've heard Southerners call it a Northern yankee city.....[/b]

[quote name='Nati Ice' date='May 19 2005, 04:56 PM']I-75 runs north/south...
[right][post="94317"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Exactly.....South of where you enter "Cincinnati" it is totally different from North of there (the border between Kentucky and Ohio).

Cincinnati is definitly a Northern City. It is nothing like the south at all, and I have lived in both. That said, some southern cities dont seem too southern either.

I agree with Bung, except the bible thumping. Maybe its because I refuse to pay attention to all religious fanatic, Kitna, Terrorists, Fundamentalists, boy-raping preists,....I just dont see too much religious influence, not nearly like the south.

[quote name='big_dish' date='May 20 2005, 10:13 AM']Cincinnati is definitly a Northern City. It is nothing like the south at all, and I have lived in both. That said, some southern cities dont seem too southern either.

I agree with Bung, except the bible thumping. Maybe  its because I refuse to pay attention to all religious fanatic, Kitna, Terrorists, Fundamentalists, boy-raping preists,....[b]I just dont see too much religious influence, not nearly like the south.[/b][right][post="94566"][/post][/right][/quote]
You're actually right...Southern towns have that huge Baptist influence...
I guess I'm guilty of equating conservatism with religious fundamentalism...

...and you said Kitna.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='big_dish' date='May 20 2005, 11:13 AM']Cincinnati is definitly a Northern City. It is nothing like the south at all, and I have lived in both. [b]That said, some southern cities dont seem too southern either.[/b]
[right][post="94566"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I would classify Miami as a southern city that isn't too southern (although a lot more conservative than people may think).

[quote name='jza10304' date='May 20 2005, 11:59 AM']I would classify Miami as a southern city that isn't too southern (although a lot more conservative than people may think).
[right][post="94586"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I completely agree with that

Cincinnati is a southern city. The accents are definitely southern for the most part, the political views tend to lean towards the right - even many of the self-proclaimed democrats, and, the police department at least has the rap of being not too friendly to minorities. That sounds like Mississippi to me. For the record, I'm not pigeon-holing all Cincinnatians into this generalization, but it's been my experience from living and visiting there for my entire life that this is the trend. Personally, it's my hometown and I love it, but it's a small town feel river city.

its a small town feel, yes, but as far as police are concerned, if you arent breaking laws you dont have to worry about that do you? If you go to school, or work, or do something productive, rather than selling drugs, shooting people, robbing people, or causing high speed chases, then you dont have to worry about the police. The same people here who bitch about the police when they do their jobs, bitch about it when the police dont get there fast enough. The cops are handcuffed by a weak city government that wont stick up for the poeple who put their lives on the line everyday for the betterment of society. The cops are damned if they do and damned if they dont. You have people all up in arms when the cops dont crack down hard enough in their neighborhoods on the criminals. Well, why is it that they cant crack down on them? Because those same people bitch and moan about every single time someone is arrested, or dies when they are trying basically beat 4 cops to death, or running down dark alleys when they are stopped (and have a rap sheet longer than my body). Tough shit for everyone who complains. Its too bad certain minorities are all lumped together, but, in being a part of that minority, it should be a sense of pride that you may help out others to strive for the best they can, and not a..) ignore social responsibility and B..) help to play out the victim card for as long as you can before everyone kills everyone else off. Its too bad no one has stepped and pushed the issue of character over color, like MLK. He would shit his pants if he saw what people had turned his fight for equal rights into. They (and I dont mean every minority, this is a general grouping of those who shirk responsibility of American society) run amuck without fear of authority or any type of responsibility. There is very little repect for any type of authority. Cops are not to blame for crime, its the fucking criminals. I guess that cop who arrested huggins for DUI was just fucking off, not doing what he is paid for? For every action there is reaction. Cops are the reaction. They dont put people through classes on how to be complete peices of shit just so they can arrest them. I hate when people bring up the issue of police in Cincinnati, they have more balls than any one else working in the city. They definitly have way more guts than the criminals they arrest. It is harder to walk the line of good, than it is to walk the line of bad.

PS. I have way more white friends that have been arrested than I do of any of my friends who fall under a minority classification.

Apparently some people prefer the insane to run the asylum.

[quote name='big_dish' date='May 20 2005, 01:41 PM']its a small town feel, yes, but as far as police are concerned, if you arent breaking laws you dont have to worry about that do you? If you go to school, or work, or do something productive, rather than selling drugs, shooting people, robbing people, or causing high speed chases, then you dont have to worry about the police. The same people here who bitch about the police when they do their jobs, bitch about it when the police dont get there fast enough. The cops are handcuffed by a weak city government that wont stick up for the poeple who put their lives on the line everyday for the betterment of society. The cops are damned if they do and damned if they dont. You have people all up in arms when the cops dont crack down hard enough in their neighborhoods on the criminals. Well, why is it that they cant crack down on them? Because those same people bitch and moan about every single time someone is arrested, or dies when they are trying basically beat 4 cops to death, or running down dark alleys when they are stopped (and have a rap sheet longer than my body). Tough shit for everyone who complains. Its too bad certain minorities are all lumped together, but, in being a part of that minority, it should be a sense of pride that you may help out others to strive for the best they can, and not a..) ignore social responsibility and B..) help to play out the victim card for as long as you can before everyone kills everyone else off. Its too bad no one has stepped and pushed the issue of character over color, like MLK. He would shit his pants if he saw what people had turned his fight for equal rights into. They (and I dont mean every minority, this is a general grouping of those who shirk responsibility of American society) run amuck without fear of authority or any type of responsibility. There is very little repect for any type of authority. Cops are not to blame for crime, its the fucking criminals. I guess that cop who arrested huggins for DUI was just fucking off, not doing what he is paid for? For every action there is reaction. Cops are the reaction. They dont put people through classes on how to be complete peices of shit just so they can arrest them. I hate when people bring up the issue of police in Cincinnati, they have more balls than any one else working in the city. They definitly have way more guts than the criminals they arrest. It is harder to walk the line of good, than it is to walk the line of bad.

PS. I have way more white friends that have been arrested than I do of any of my friends who fall under a minority classification.

[right][post="94641"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well put. The whole police dept. image thing is unfortunately the perception in many areas outside of Cincy (that's why I said that the police got the "rap"). I have a couple of cop buddies in the area that echo what you say.

I've only been there a handful of times, but it's a Northern city (with some Southern influence).

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='May 20 2005, 01:57 AM'][b]It is funny how New Engladers call it Cincinnucky and think it is all Kentucky and then how I've heard Southerners call it a Northern yankee city.....[/b]
[right][post="94462"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Where did you hear that? I don't technically live in New England, but I'm real close. I've never heard someone refer to it as "Cincinnucky" (although I have read it on this board, I think). To be honest, most people I know (who haven't been there) couldn't tell you where Cincy is. They know it's in Ohio, but don't have a clue that it's on the Southern border.

[quote name='Beaker' date='May 20 2005, 04:21 PM']Cincinnati is midwest conservative with more northern leanings. I grew up in NY, and my parents now live in the south. Its closer to NY than south.
[right][post="94690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

What part of NY are you from? Just curious.

[quote name='big_dish' date='May 20 2005, 01:41 PM']its a small town feel, yes, but as far as police are concerned, if you arent breaking laws you dont have to worry about that do you? If you go to school, or work, or do something productive, rather than selling drugs, shooting people, robbing people, or causing high speed chases, then you dont have to worry about the police. The same people here who bitch about the police when they do their jobs, bitch about it when the police dont get there fast enough. The cops are handcuffed by a weak city government that wont stick up for the poeple who put their lives on the line everyday for the betterment of society. The cops are damned if they do and damned if they dont. You have people all up in arms when the cops dont crack down hard enough in their neighborhoods on the criminals. Well, why is it that they cant crack down on them? Because those same people bitch and moan about every single time someone is arrested, or dies when they are trying basically beat 4 cops to death, or running down dark alleys when they are stopped (and have a rap sheet longer than my body). Tough shit for everyone who complains. Its too bad certain minorities are all lumped together, but, in being a part of that minority, it should be a sense of pride that you may help out others to strive for the best they can, and not a..) ignore social responsibility and B..) help to play out the victim card for as long as you can before everyone kills everyone else off. Its too bad no one has stepped and pushed the issue of character over color, like MLK. He would shit his pants if he saw what people had turned his fight for equal rights into. They (and I dont mean every minority, this is a general grouping of those who shirk responsibility of American society) run amuck without fear of authority or any type of responsibility. There is very little repect for any type of authority. Cops are not to blame for crime, its the fucking criminals. I guess that cop who arrested huggins for DUI was just fucking off, not doing what he is paid for? For every action there is reaction. Cops are the reaction. They dont put people through classes on how to be complete peices of shit just so they can arrest them. I hate when people bring up the issue of police in Cincinnati, they have more balls than any one else working in the city. They definitly have way more guts than the criminals they arrest. It is harder to walk the line of good, than it is to walk the line of bad.

[right][post="94641"][/post][/right][/quote]My thoughts exactly. The city council tied the hands of the police. It should be attention all criminals..you WILL be punished if you break the law,try to resist arrest,expect to get a beating. When someone say's stop you fucking stop. In 2 weeks there has been a driveby shooting and a car jacking 2 blocks from work.
I say turn the cops loose. If you are a known drug dealer without a doubt,take them off the streets no questions. Tired of this shit. :angry:

Archived