How to fix this team.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1291241639' post='946778']
i doubt there's a LT in this draft as good as whitworth. even if there is, it will take him two years to get to that level.
[/quote]

EXACTLY! Whit would be better at LT if he had a better LG. If I was drafting, I would find the best LT available in rd 2, and put him at LG, like they did with Whit when he came out.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1291243747' post='946788']
EXACTLY! Whit would be better at LT if he had a better LG. If I was drafting, I would find the best LT available in rd 2, and put him at LG, like they did with Whit when he came out.
[/quote]

now you're talking. they're picking at the very top of the 2nd round, so it's not a normal 2nd rounder. it's almost a low 1st rounder. there could be some good candidates there, but if they're looking for a guy to later groom into the LT position, they'll have to be selective. i think once you get a decent guard in there to take away whitworth's worries about the B gap, his performance will rise accordingly. he's got too much to worry about now with no help on an inside move. IMO, and many other folks i might add, they've wasted time not working collins there at LG. he could be gaining valuable experience from now to the end of the season. instead they'll probably end up writing him off as a waste because they were too small minded in their thinking. if collins is tailor made for any position in the pros, it's LG. he's got perfect size, speed and feet for the position. the strength can be gained with time and technique. he'll never be a tackle.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1291243903' post='946789']
now you're talking. they're picking at the very top of the 2nd round, so it's not a normal 2nd rounder. it's almost a low 1st rounder. there could be some good candidates there, but if they're looking for a guy to later groom into the LT position, they'll have to be selective. i think once you get a decent guard in there to take away whitworth's worries about the B gap, his performance will rise accordingly. he's got too much to worry about now with no help on an inside move. IMO, and many other folks i might add, they've wasted time not working collins there at LG. he could be gaining valuable experience from now to the end of the season. instead they'll probably end up writing him off as a waste because they were too small minded in their thinking. if collins is tailor made for any position in the pros, it's LG. he's got perfect size, speed and feet for the position. the strength can be gained with time and technique. he'll never be a tackle.
[/quote]

once again, I agree. My biggest problem with the oline is the way it's structured. I would much prefer a LG that was a Pass blocker/puller than a heavy handed run guy like I think Livings is. Collins could be a great fit, but I don't think Alexander sees it that way. I still don't understand why, unless it's just that it's the way he's always looked at the o-line, and after so friggin' many years(what is it 17?), he just can't change his thinking.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1291246136' post='946808']
once again, I agree. My biggest problem with the oline is the way it's structured. I would much prefer a LG that was a Pass blocker/puller than a heavy handed run guy like I think Livings is. Collins could be a great fit, but I don't think Alexander sees it that way. I still don't understand why, unless it's just that it's the way he's always looked at the o-line, and after so friggin' many years(what is it 17?), he just can't change his thinking.
[/quote]

you don't suppose bratkowski and alexander came out of the same gene pool, do you?

[quote name='Nickslycat' timestamp='1291151122' post='946515']
This is simple! Mike Brown just doesn't get it. Every great team starts with a great offensive line.

Mikey has always believed that the cart comes before the horses, and this in a nutshell explains his record of incompetence of the last 20 plus years.
[/quote]

You can't really say that Mike doesn't appreciate the O-line when h had the highest paid tackle tandem in the league just 4 year ago (Willie/Levi) and then used the franchise tag on an OT (Andrews) a year later.

The problem has been that our defense was so bad we poured all of our resources into that side of the ball for a few years. But we still used our first round pick on an OT last year plus a 4th rounder on a Center.

Archived