1972 Electric Powered Datsun Drag Car

Bunghole

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1297650089' post='970418']
Check this out! This car is the fucking SHIT!

[url="http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1686"]http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1686[/url]
[/quote]

I have wanted an electric for a few years now.. Really disappointed that Chevy watered down the Volt from a true electric to a half-assed hybrid.. Now it will be the Japanese once again who will be the first..

I keep waiting for the American car industry to pull their collective heads from their asses and give me a reason to buy American.

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1297708771' post='970493']
i dont get whats accomplished with an ellectric car

you plug the fucker into the wall and its not like thats clean, free, "magic" energy
[/quote]

Well, for one, this guy lives in Oregon and his electric source is hydro from dams, so where he lives it is in fact sorta "free" energy that is definitely 100% clean.

For everyone else that relies on coal-fired plants for electricity, well, we're going to have those for quite some time but eliminating the sheer number of polluting gasoline engines from America's roadways would in fact put a huge dent in emissions, which is a good thing.

Plus that car looks fun as hell to drive.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1297713257' post='970505']
Well, for one, this guy lives in Oregon and his electric source is hydro from dams, so where he lives it is in fact sorta "free" energy that is definitely 100% clean.

For everyone else that relies on coal-fired plants for electricity, well, we're going to have those for quite some time but eliminating the sheer number of polluting gasoline engines from America's roadways would in fact put a huge dent in emissions, which is a good thing.

Plus that car looks fun as hell to drive.
[/quote]

but same amount of enegry has to be provided to oopperate the car

that just means getting the enrgy form a powerplant instead of the individual car engine

wouldnt the net result be roughly the same amout of dirty shit being burned for energy just in a different location?

its not like theres a wholesale discount in the laws of physics

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1297718554' post='970521']

that just means getting the enrgy form a powerplant instead of the individual car engine

wouldnt the net result be roughly the same amout of dirty shit being burned for energy just in a different location?

[/quote]

The object isn't less energy consumed, it's cleaner energy consumed. As has already been said, this guy's particular power grid is hydroelectric and zero emission. Anyone who uses hydroelectric or nuclear power is getting the maximum green out of an EV.

It's not entirely moot on coal electricity either, because those plants generally all run at a baseline level to provide your power. Running an EV still eliminates your personal emissions without causing a corresponding increase in the plant's emissions.

The hang up occurs when so many people run EVs that the plant must increase production. Still, generated electricity is a far more efficient energy source than internal combustion.

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1297718554' post='970521']

[/quote]
The powerplants are putting out max production all the time. Plugging in an electric car, at least as of now, is not going to increase electricity demand. So since the car has zero emissions from itself, you will have less pollution. The powerplants are chugging away at the same rate no matter if you drive an electric car or a gasoline car. The only difference is zero pollution on the user end with the electric car.

You may be on to something if and when Americans are all driving around in electric cars that will all need overnight charging, but hopefully by then we'll have scads of nuclear powerplants to take up the slack, along with increases in wind, solar and hydro electric producing technology.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1297708558' post='970492']
I have wanted an electric for a few years now.. Really disappointed that Chevy watered down the Volt from a true electric to a half-assed hybrid.. Now it will be the Japanese once again who will be the first..

I keep waiting for the American car industry to pull their collective heads from their asses and give me a reason to buy American.
[/quote]

well, since there is a honda plant in ohio and one in indiana, and a toyota plant in KY, frankly it doesnt really matter.. the jobs are being created US side in either scenario.

i feel like, judging by the whole bankruptcy/bailout hearings, that more money in the pockets of the american companies would just be wasted on lavish things by the higher ups in said company. the american companies were in such deep shit from the way they ran business, not just making shitty cars, i dont think them making better cars and selling way more would actually change anything, they would just destroy their own business, again.

i'd be twice as glad buying a honda/toyota and someone in your, or a neighboring state gets to keep, or maybe even creates a new job there..knowing i am getting a worthy vehicle

The power grid would require a huge upgrade to run electric cars in this nation. Look at what happens during a hot summer. Power outages everywhere. So we would have no AC, no refrigeration and no ride. Fuck that.

And your electric car better be able to haul me and my family through a northeastern snow storm.

[quote name='steggyD' timestamp='1297804724' post='970711']
The power grid would require a huge upgrade to run electric cars in this nation. Look at what happens during a hot summer. Power outages everywhere. So we would have no AC, no refrigeration and no ride. Fuck that.

And your electric car better be able to haul me and my family through a northeastern snow storm.
[/quote]

The electric grid needs upgraded anyway.. The amount of energy wasted, the vulnerability and the sheer archaic-ness is absurd. I sure wish we would have spent money on things like the power grid and other infrastructure instead of stupid tax refunds and corporate welfare.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1297867168' post='970866']
I would never buy a foriegn car. I don't care if it was made in America.
It is still a foreign car company.
[/quote]

It's people like you I blame for the downfall of the American auto industry... They felt like they could abuse your patriotism and count on you to buy their inferior product while they slashed production costs and ramped up corporate profits..

No one else in the world buys American cars except Americans.. Why? Because they suck... Maybe if they had seen their market share in the US going out the window as well they would have done something to make a better product. American cars are just straight embarrassing.. Just like our namesake in cheese.

And just where do you think a large portion of these American cars are made? Or the parts for these cars? You are aware we don't really produce anything in this country any more right?

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1297868370' post='970875']
It's people like you I blame for the downfall of the American auto industry... They felt like they could abuse your patriotism and count on you to buy their inferior product while they slashed production costs and ramped up corporate profits..

No one else in the world buys American cars except Americans.. Why? Because they suck... Maybe if they had seen their market share in the US going out the window as well they would have done something to make a better product. American cars are just straight embarrassing.. Just like our namesake in cheese.

And just where do you think a large portion of these American cars are made? Or the parts for these cars? You are aware we don't really produce anything in this country any more right?
[/quote]

Actually, Ford is very big in Europe. They have several lines of small cars, many of which use small diesel engines (which you can't buy in the States unless you go VW or another foreign company). The European diesel Focus gets 62mpg... I'd buy one in a heartbeat! Buick is also MASSIVE in China. It's their top luxury brand; Buick is as much of a status symbol there as Benz is here. China is pretty much the only reason GM didn't ax Buick when it downsized its brands.

I do agree with your point that taking advantage of consumer loyalty led to the crash of the domestic auto companies. And many of them do manufacture outside of the States (Ford notoriously builds the "American" F-150 in Mexico). But there is no comparison to what's on domestic dealer lots now. GM, Ford, and even Chrysler have shot quality through the roof; it's equivalent to or even exceeds the foreign companies. For my money, I will buy American, especially if Ford puts the damn light-duty diesel in the F150.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1297868370' post='970875']

[/quote]

Funny, I blame people like you buying foriegn shit for the downfall.

I had a Pontiac that had over 329,000 miles when I sold it. Yeah, what a horrible piece of shit that was.
I got a 2002 Dodge Caravan that has almost 170,000 miles on it at the moment and a 2009 Pontiac G6.
I don't have hardly any problems because I keep them maintained.

My Grandpa started a Junk Yard in the 1960's. So I grew to know what was junk and why it
became junk.

I have/had family members that work/worked for GM and Ford all their lives. I like(d) helping them
keep jobs. And I also love American cars. I won't apologize for that.

And spare me the "horrible" cars bullshit. That may have been true decades ago. But it is nowhere
near fact now days.

And we are producing a lot of cars here. Are they 100% produced in the U.S.? No. But they
are American owned Companies that produce the majority of the cars here in America.

Archived