A Look at the QBs

[xml] Size Arm Accura Leaders WrkEthc DMaking Winner Mobile Stats WCoast Chrcter Experience
Jake Locker 6-2 231 Yes NO Yes Yes NO NO Yes Average NO Yes Yes
Blaine Gabbert 6-4 234 Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Yes Average Shotgun Yes Yes
Cam Newton 6-5 248 Yes Yes NO No NO Yes Yes Yes NO No No
Ryan Mallett 6-7 247 Yes Yes NO No NO Average NO Yes Prostyl No Yes
Christian Ponde 6-2 229 Average No Yes Yes NO NO Yes Average Yes Yes Yes
Ricky Stanzi 6-4 223 Average Average Yes Yes NO Yes Average Yes Prostyl Yes Yes
Colin Kaeperni 6-4 233 Yes NO Yes Yes NO Yes Yes Yes Shotgun Yes Yes
Andy Dalton 6-2 215 NO Yes Yes Yes NO Yes Average Yes Yes Yes Yes
[/xml]

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302231733' post='982521']
Why not debate it then? I can change things. and Pro Football Weekly like it says in the headline.

Just because you win that does not mean you are a leader. Vets are not going to follow Cam Newton in my opinion.
[/quote]
His Auburn teammates did. He obviously has it in him. I can't think of one rookie QB though that came into a team and became a leader right off the bat.

If Cam wins games, his teammates will be following him. He just has that personality.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1302232248' post='982528']
His Auburn teammates did. He obviously has it in him. I can't think of one rookie QB though that came into a team and became a leader right off the bat.

If Cam wins games, his teammates will be following him. He just has that personality.
[/quote]

I disagree. I think he is going to rub people the wrong way and annoy people. He certainly has more Chad in him then Carson

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302232712' post='982532']
things I'd argue:

Mallett's work ethic

Dalton not fitting a WCO

Dalton's mobility

Dalton's arm

Kaepernick's accuracy (64.9%)

The entire decision making column

Kaepernick not being a winner (33-16 career record, 20-5 last two years)
[/quote]

33-16 career record is awful. When you show the 20-5 then I think that makes sense.

Decision making columm...Everyone of them was docked for bad decision making

Dalton does not have a great arm and has average athletic ability to escape in the pocket. West Coast thing is an error.

Mallett I can go either way.

I will switch the 2 you persuaded me on. The others I disagree with.

Also FWIW I am warming up to the idea of taking Gabbert with Pick #4. Despite what I have said in the past I think his bad qualities, lack of winning and stats and the shotgun are far outweighed by the good.

I would much rather trade our 2012 1st for Kolb.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302234107' post='982538']
33-16 career record is awful. When you show the 20-5 then I think that makes sense.

Decision making columm...Everyone of them was docked for bad decision making

Dalton does not have a great arm and has average athletic ability to escape in the pocket. West Coast thing is an error.

Mallett I can go either way.

I will switch the 2 you persuaded me on. The others I disagree with.
[/quote]

as far as Colin's career record, you have to keep in mind he wasn't on teams stacked with as much talent as the other guys.

Dalton has a better arm than quite a few of the guys who got passes.

I think its faulty to say almost ALL of them are bad decision makers.

As for Dalton's athletic ability, considering they called designed runs for him (probably about 80 a year), I think that speaks to what they think of him as a athletic, mobile QB.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302262641' post='982550']
as far as Colin's career record, you have to keep in mind he wasn't on teams stacked with as much talent as the other guys.

Dalton has a better arm than quite a few of the guys who got passes.

I think its faulty to say almost ALL of them are bad decision makers.

As for Dalton's athletic ability, considering they called designed runs for him (probably about 80 a year), I think that speaks to what they think of him as a athletic, mobile QB.
[/quote]

Dalton is knocked for arm strength and athletic/escapability. He is no Ryan Mallet, for the reasons you mention, but he is not in the other class as well.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302232572' post='982530']
I disagree. I think he is going to rub people the wrong way and annoy people. He certainly has more Chad in him then Carson
[/quote]
To each his own, but Cam is a leader. To take his team where he took them and then win it by putting everyone on his back is what it is. I know he looks cocky and like a straight dickhead, but those are the guys that get in the huddle and people gravitate too, because they know he is going to make a play to help his team win.

BTW, Gabbert's accuracy was atrocious over 15 yards. 38%. Dude is going to be a terrible pro QB. Idc what his 40 indicates either..he is not close to Cam in athleticism.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302308719' post='982671']
People gravitate to dickheads?
[/quote]
Yes, yes they do. Because those dickheads take control. Cam led his team out of nowhere to a natty. The dude is a leader, whether you like it or not. If he wasn't, his line wouldn't have blocked for him.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1302310225' post='982676']
Ryan Mallett is not a leader?

He was elected a team captain before he even took a snap in a game at Arkansas.
[/quote]

I am going to keep Mallett where he is in terms of that because of the dickhead factor.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302226802' post='982514']
[xml] Size Arm Accura Leaders WrkEthc DMaking Winner Mobile Stats WCoast Chrcter Experience
Jake Locker 6-2 231 Yes NO Yes Yes NO NO Yes Average NO Yes Yes
Blaine Gabbert 6-4 234 Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Yes Average Shotgun Yes Yes
Cam Newton 6-5 248 Yes Yes NO No NO Yes Yes Yes NO No No
Ryan Mallett 6-7 247 Yes Yes NO No NO Average NO Yes Prostyl No Yes
Christian Ponde 6-2 229 Average No Yes Yes NO NO Yes Average Yes Yes Yes
Ricky Stanzi 6-4 223 Average Average Yes Yes NO Yes Average Yes Prostyl Yes Yes
Colin Kaeperni 6-4 233 Yes NO Yes Yes NO Yes Yes Yes Shotgun Yes Yes
Andy Dalton 6-2 215 NO Yes Yes Yes NO Yes Average Yes Yes Yes Yes
[/xml]
[/quote]

[list=1]
[*]Jake Locker-I really like Locker and would take him in Round 2 if there were no top Lineman on the board. Locker has all the measureables but is really scary in terms of the system he ran (Because it was West Coast and he did not do well) and his accuracy.
[*]Blaine Gabbert-Gabbert is growing on me but that % mark down field is scary, although I don't have anything to compare it to. He is a leader who has nearly everything you are looking for. I probably still take someone else @ 4 but think that the more I find out about him the more I think he definitely needs to be atleast in the consideration @ 4.
[*]Cam Newton Would just be an awful pick. A headcase who wont fit the team in anyway. If he is there in the third I would take him.
[*]Ryan Mallett I would take him in the 3rd as well. Also a headcase who wont fit the team.
[*]Christian Ponder I would take him in the 3rd...too many question marks regarding his accuracy and decision making to take in round 2. Like that he was succesful in the West Coast.
[*]Ricky Stanzi is who I think we will draft and in the 3rd. He is certainly limited and it scares me that he is the kind of QB that teams are always going to want to replace. However he has a ton of the skills that I would look for (SMart, LEader, Work Ethic) and will come at a draft pick that wont mean he absolutely has the job.
[*]Colin Kaepernick Plays in a system and has a style that I think is just too different then ours to have success. I would take him int he 5th.
[*]Andy Dalton Would take in the 4th. I just think he is going to be too limited to have success despite the fact that he has a lot of good things going for him. Certainly would not take him in rd 2 but maybe rd 3. definitely 4
[/list]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302314030' post='982695']
when did Mallett become a dickhead? Are we just making stuff up now?
[/quote]

You dont think Mallett has severe character issues? Have you heard the man speak? I guess maybe I might be using the phrase Dickhead too broadly. Thanks for catching me on that.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302314719' post='982697']
You dont think Mallett has severe character issues? Have you heard the man speak? I guess maybe I might be using the phrase Dickhead too broadly. Thanks for catching me on that.
[/quote]

I've seen him speak often. IMO he comes off far more like a "gee that's swell dad!" type of guy than a dickhead. He's always been upbeat and polite.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1302314966' post='982698']
I've seen him speak often. IMO he comes off far more like a "gee that's swell dad!" type of guy than a dickhead. He's always been upbeat and polite.
[/quote]

I think he comes across as a really trying hard to please his luitentant soldier.

Archived