A sad, sad, sad day in DC, ESPN strikes again stealing sportcasters

Go Skins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/sports-anchor-lindsay-czarniak-to-leave-nbc4-for-espn/2011/06/22/AGUsodgH_story.html

[img]http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2011/06/23/Production/Daily/Style/Images/lindsay%20czarniak.jpg[/img]

Lindsay Czarniak, the co-sports anchor at WRC (Channel 4), will leave the station next month for a job at ESPN, WRC said Wednesday.

Czarniak’s contract with the station, known as NBC4, expired this spring, leading to discussions with the sports cable network. At ESPN, Czarniak will be an anchor and host of programs originating from its Bristol, Conn., studios.

Czarniak, 33, was a protege of WRC’s longtime sports anchor, George Michael, who hired her as a sports reporter and weekend sports anchor in 2005, after she had been on the air for only four years. Michael, who died in 2009, called her “the best hire I’ve ever made.”

NBC4’s dominance in local news ratings have made her and another Michael protege, NBC4’s co-sports anchor Dan Hellie, the most visible local sportscasters in the area.

During six years on the air here, Czarniak has covered all the region’s professional teams and has been the star of a sports-interview segment called “Lunch With Lindsay.” She worked for the station’s parent network, NBC, during the 2006 Winter Games in Turin, Italy, and the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing and reported on NASCAR for the TNT cable network.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1308840935' post='998294']
Damn son! She is HAWT!!!
[/quote]

Now we have this 25 year old bombshell to look at in DC:

[img]http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/76/6076/35619.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1308842107' post='998297']
Now we have this 25 year old bombshell to look at in DC:

[img]http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/76/6076/35619.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Watched her the other day, as hot as she is she is deadpan with her reporting, Lindsey is much better at her job.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1308847525' post='998313']
Watched her the other day, as hot as she is she is deadpan with her reporting, Lindsey is much better at her job.
[/quote]

Who cares at who's better at their job.......that's not the reason I watch women reporters. Hell, I don't even know they're talking half the time. This 2nd one is hotter IMO than the 1st. DC found a capable replacement.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1308849923' post='998315']
Who cares at who's better at their job.......that's not the reason I watch women reporters. Hell, I don't even know they're talking half the time. This 2nd one is hotter IMO than the 1st. DC found a capable replacement.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1308850546' post='998317']
If you're actually listening to her to report sports...[color="#FF0000"]Then your teh GAY!!![/color]
[/quote]

No, I would never root for the Browns.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/lindsay-czarniak-on-going-to-espn/2011/07/01/AG2iditH_blog.html

When WRC announced earlier this month that Lindsay Czarniak would be leaving her job at the local NBC affiliate for a spot with ESPN, Czarniak’s only words came via a statement. I tried to score an interview myself, but alas, the Sports Bog doesn’t always have the pull I’d like to imagine.

(Note: I was kind of joking about this; Lindsay subsequently told me we can talk whenever, though I think my questions have now been answered.)

But Czarniak finally talked about her departure to at least one local outlet, that being ESPN 980’s Sports Fix.

“I’m going up to do SportsCenter, and I’m really looking forward to it,” she told Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro. “It’s gonna be a huge challenge, and one of the cool things about it is that they’ve got so many different opportunities for stuff that you can do, so we’ll see where stuff falls. Yes, hopefully NASCAR in some capacity will be a part of it, but for now, my main focus is going to be doing SportsCenter, which is certainly going to be a lot on my plate. It’s gonna be really cool.

“The tough thing obviously is that I love it here, I love all my friends and family that are here, I love Channel 4. The people that I work with there are amazing; they’re like brothers, it’s like a family. So it’s hard.

“This has been a very very long thought-out decision on my part, that honestly was probably the biggest that I’ve had to make in my career. I don’t take it lightly at all, what I’m leaving here. There are so many different aspects of my job here that I love. It’s just time to take a leap of faith really, and have a new challenge. That’s really what it came down to.”

Czarniak said she will work at WRC until mid-July, and start at ESPN on August 8. She’ll be back in D.C. in October for her wedding to fellow NBCer Craig Melvin (they’re looking for a good wedding band!), and she didn’t have any intel about her replacement at NBC, though she did point out that Dan Hellie “tells dirty jokes,” which doesn’t really surprise me. And she talked about her decision to leave now, when she had passed on previous opportunities to do the same.

Archived