Extending Drives

I've been watching last years games (Falcons and Panthers games, along with the two Ravens games).

And I was listening to NFL Network on SiriusXM, they were talking about how good QB's know the situation they were in and extend plays and drives by throwing the ball away and not taking sacks. I never once saw Palmer do this. I've seen where the receivers were covered and he still tried to force the ball in. or throw them to the open spot, and overthrowing the ball leaving the ball still in play. Where was that will to fight another day and keep a drive going?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1309623952' post='999477']
Nice observation. I can't recall him doing it much either. One reason is that it's hard to throw the ball away still in the pocket and not get flagged. Carson wasn't much for moving around.
[/quote]

Was always one of the knocks on CP. when you're blesses with that kind of arm strength you tend to wait as long as possible before letting it fly. He often thought that he could fit balls into holes he had no business attempting.

Kitna was a subscriber to the "live to fight another down" philosophy.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' timestamp='1309625312' post='999480']
Was always one of the knocks on CP. when you're blesses with that kind of arm strength you tend to wait as long as possible before letting it fly. He often thought that he could fit balls into holes he had no business attempting.

[/quote]

Have to disagree with this. One of Palmer's strengths was getting rid of the ball and not taking sacks.

[/quote]
Perfect example was when Troy picked off Carson with three guys all over the receiver and Troy takes it back and lowers the boom on Palmer at the goal line.

[/quote]

yeah, that was fine when he was younger...when his ball looked like it was on a frozen rope. but he doesn't own that arm any more. you might see one here and there, but most of those ropes from yesteryear have changed into arches.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1309635098' post='999487']
yeah, that was fine when he was younger...when his ball looked like it was on a frozen rope. but he doesn't own that arm any more. you might see one here and there, but most of those ropes from yesteryear have changed into arches.
[/quote]

Yup. However it hasn't changed his mentality.

One of the reasons I put this up is, if he would have found a way to get rid of it, instead of trying to force balls, maybe he wouldn't have had so many pick 6s. The one that really kinda set the tone for the year was the first one against the Patriots.

Its true that Palmer has shitty pocket awareness. He always has, but it wasn't as noticeable until around 2007 when his line could no longer give him the protection a QB like him (large, immobile, locked onto receivers) needs to be successful. And its also true that he didn't throw it away much, but that may have more to do with playcalling. If its 2nd and 10 and a pass is called, Palmer knows a shovel pass is coming on 3rd and whatever, so he feels pressure to pick up the 1st on 2nd down, knowing that on 3rd down we will be basically calling a shit play or conceding the punt by getting some short shit.

OK, that last part is a joke (Ryan!).

[quote name='AZBengal' timestamp='1309632692' post='999485']
Have to disagree with this. One of Palmer's strengths was getting rid of the ball and not taking sacks.
[/quote]

True, but this year more than any other I can remember, he forced the ball badly. Im still not convinced he wasn't trying to play his way in to getting released.

[quote name='Elijah15' timestamp='1309618110' post='999471']
Thats tru,i really dont remember palmer throwing the ball away at all tthis season lol
[/quote]
That's not true don't you guys remember when Carson threw the ball away on forth down against the Ravens the last play of the season.

[quote name='cincity' timestamp='1309639250' post='999492']
One of the reasons I put this up is, if he would have found a way to get rid of it, instead of trying to force balls, maybe he wouldn't have had so many pick 6s. The one that really kinda set the tone for the year was the first one against the Patriots.
[/quote]

You're wrong. Most of Palmer's interceptions do not come when he is under pressure and trying to get rid of the ball. Most of them come when he has all day to throw, is able to set up in the pocket, find his receiver, and follow through.

And most of his interceptions that get returned for TDs do not come when he is under pressure. They come when he throws that out pattern to the sideline, doesn't see the defender, and just lobs the ball out there with no zip on it. The defender just breaks on the ball, steps in front of the receiver, and has a clear path to the endzone. He makes that same rookie mistake over and over again and never seems to learn from it.

Archived