Kerry Collins retires (then unretires to sign with the Colts)

Harley

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1314579669' post='1022689']

Agree Bobbie missed his assignment. I think everyone on the board would agree to that. [b]The question is what would we like Dalton to do the next time it happens.[/b] Plays sometimes get blown up by the defense. On first down, deep in our own territory, Dalton should have dumped it. Instead he took the Jake Delhomme approach and heaved it up for grabs hoping his receiver would bail him out. There are times the QB throws to a guy, hoping he makes a play on his defender. This wasn't one of those times. He got hit on the release, the ball was underthrown, and picked off. Given that Suh was in his field of view before he wound up, he should have shortened his motion and dumped it at the feet of the FB.

[b]If you're arguing he should have stayed with the play design and stepped into Suh to take a bigger hit, then I think you're wrong. [/b]Apart from any damage to our QB, when the line isn't able to protect on a 3 step drop, you need to adjust. The next time this happens I hope he dumps it instead of channeling the spirit of Jake Delhomme.
[/quote]

fwiw, the exact same thing happened against the Panthers. This time Dalton got more under it and it went for a TD.

I'm arguing that he didn't have much time to make another decision. It seemed to be a designed bomb all the way, and he let loose. If he takes that split second to go to the FB as you suggest, he gets sacked.

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter"][b][color=#333333]AdamSchefter[/color][/b][/url][size=2][color=#999999]Adam Schefter[/color][/size]

Colts activated Peyton Manning from the physically unable to perform list, meaning he now can start practicing.
[url="http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/108195608300486656"][size=2][color=#999999]58 seconds ago[/color][/size][/url]

Wonder if he'll play any this Thursday?

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1314554866' post='1022584']

Agreed, he has done way more than hold a clipboard. A favorite of mine and would love to have him on our team. If Manning has his way, Kerry will only be holding a clipboard.

I believe Manning could be dealing with quite an injury but will still try to play week 1. We'll see.
[/quote]
Yeah, he is cleared to practice in the "Don't touch the guy in the red jersey" game but that doesn't mean he is cleared to play big boy football yet. Collins is a good insurance policy. He can win you some games instead of basically writing off anything Manning doesn't play in.

The decision to activate quarterback Peyton Manning off the physically unable to perform list Monday was the next logical step in his rehabilitation from neck surgery.

"That's not a real big surprise to me," center Jeff Saturday said with a shrug.

Baby steps, added offensive lineman Ryan Diem.

"Obviously it's not him starting yet, but it's progress," he said. "We'll take that anytime."

Manning hopes he can make the decision whether to extend his NFL-leading streak for consecutive regular-season starts. He has started 208 games in a row -- 227 including the playoffs. The Sept. 11 opener is at Houston.

"My goal . . . is for it to be my decision," he said, "using the input of the doctors and (coach) Jim Caldwell and Eric (Barill, director of rehabilitation), Clyde (Christensen, offensive coordinator). They've promised me they'll allow that to be the case. I feel I'll make the right decision for the right reasons. I don't have to make it yet."

Manning has been attacking a strenuous rehab schedule since May 23 surgery to repair a bulging disk in his neck. He has been throwing, increasing his workload as the preseason progresses.

Monday, the latest step. Manning was cleared to practice on a limited and controlled basis and with a scripted routine. During the early portion of practice open to the media, his work with the other QBs -- Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky -- consisted of mechanics-oriented drills and short throws.

"It'll be nice to get back out there on the practice field, be able to do a few more things than I've been able to do," Manning said. "This was one of my goals all along, to get back the week before this last preseason game. (It) just gives you two weeks of on-the-field work and answers some questions that coach Caldwell has and I have."

Some questions remain. Is Manning experiencing pain or weakness in his right shoulder or arm? Is he limited in throwing or moving around?

Manning playfully hid behind the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, which protects medical privacy.

"I don't know what HIPAA stands for, but I believe in it and I practice it," he said. "I'll leave it at that."

[b]Manning won't suit up when the Colts close the preseason Thursday night at Cincinnati. If Collins doesn't start against the Bengals, he'll play extensively.[/b]

At issue is how the team approaches next week's preparation for the regular-season opener against the Texans. If Manning is confident he's on target to start, he'll need to take the majority of the repetitions with the No. 1 unit. If doubt remains, are the reps divvied up between Manning and Collins, or does Collins get the bulk of the work?

"You have to get out there around the guys to really know where you are and how you feel," Manning said. "My goal is certainly to be out there playing. But when I'm not doing my rehab or trying to get myself better, I'm doing what I can to help Curtis and help Kerry."

One issue that Manning insists won't affect his play-or-not-play decision is his streak for consecutive starts.

"Absolutely not," he said. "I have to be able to competitively play. I have too much respect for football.

"Could I go out there to take the opening snap or take a series? Yeah, I could do that, absolutely. But I've got to be able to compete and help my team win. That's what's fair to the team, fair to myself.''

[url="http://www.indystar.com/article/20110830/SPORTS03/108300341/Colts-will-ease-Manning-back-into-practice?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports"]http://www.indystar.com/article/20110830/SPORTS03/108300341/Colts-will-ease-Manning-back-into-practice?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports[/url]

Archived