Kerry Collins retires (then unretires to sign with the Colts)

Harley

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1310229260' post='1000210']
Bengals need VY.
[/quote]

Agreed. VY is the sort of boom or bust player who would be a good transition from Palmer. If VY booms and has a probowl season in 2011, the Bengals could win the division. If he busts, they are in position to draft a good QB in 2012 instead of being stuck with Dalton, the poor man's Colt McCoy.

So is the general thought that even though the Bengals spent a high second pick on Dalton that they wouls seek a FA for the 2011 starter and if that doesn't work, they draft another QB? Does Dalton get a look at all or was this just a knee jerk pick?

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1310344207' post='1000391']
So is the general thought that even though the Bengals spent a high second pick on Dalton that they wouls seek a FA for the 2011 starter and if that doesn't work, they draft another QB? Does Dalton get a look at all or was this just a knee jerk pick?
[/quote]

he certainly gets a look, but I doubt any team wants to go into a season relying on a rookie QB.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1310344207' post='1000391']
[/quote]

That's why I hated the Dalton pick. Bengals are going to suck, Andrew Luck is going to be there when they pick, Bengals will take him, Dalton is selling insurance.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1310270955' post='1000263']
Agreed. VY is the sort of boom or bust player who would be a good transition from Palmer. If VY booms and has a probowl season in 2011, the Bengals could win the division. If he busts, they are in position to draft a good QB in 2012 instead of being stuck with Dalton, the poor man's Colt McCoy.
[/quote]

VY is the kind of moron who quits when shit gets thick, doesn't give his all, is the last in the building and the first out, divides lockerrooms and ultimately pisses off the team's entire fanbase with his me-first diva bullshit.
He was TOTALLY FLABBERGASTED by The Steelers in his appearance against them last season.
We do not need this.

[quote name='BENGALS666' timestamp='1310416418' post='1000504']
VY is the kind of moron who quits when shit gets thick, doesn't give his all, is the last in the building and the first out, divides lockerrooms and ultimately pisses off the team's entire fanbase with his me-first diva bullshit.
[/quote]

Sounds a lot like Cedric Benson. I like how that turned out.

[quote name='Le Tigre' timestamp='1310416574' post='1000505']
The Bengals won't be picking #1 overall...so all of this Luck shit can take a hike.

Besides, the transition QB is still under contract here...and his number isn't #5...and he didn't go to Central Michigan.
[/quote]

What makes you think the Bengals are not going to pick #1 overall? Who else is going into the season with a new OC, no QB, shitty-shouln't-have-been-brought-back HC... etc?

I can't think of many teams worse off than the Bengals right now. No offseason with a new scheme, new QB = gonna suck.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1310417084' post='1000506']

What makes you think the Bengals are not going to pick #1 overall? Who else is going into the season with a new OC, no QB, shitty-shouln't-have-been-brought-back HC... etc?

I can't think of many teams worse off than the Bengals right now. No offseason with a new scheme, new QB = gonna suck.
[/quote]

All the more reason to throw Dalton into the fire. If he can start playing decent by the end of the season then we can forgo another QB. If we sit him a year, we still suck balls and then a still awesome Luck is there for our choosing we will have a decision to make.

I totally agree with your assessment that it will take some kind of minor miracle for this team to be very good offensively given the work stoppage and circumstances. Vince Young might just be the best option if we do bring in a VET since he could still run for his life and maybe do something.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1310422386' post='1000517']
All the more reason to throw Dalton into the fire. If he can start playing decent by the end of the season then we can forgo another QB. If we sit him a year, we still suck balls and then a still awesome Luck is there for our choosing we will have a decision to make.

I totally agree with your assessment that it will take some kind of minor miracle for this team to be very good offensively given the work stoppage and circumstances. Vince Young might just be the best option if we do bring in a VET since he could still run for his life and maybe do something.
[/quote]

I would have no problem with them starting Dalton, especially if they get Ced back. I think you could run a heavier run based O with some WCO passing, and still be an average O, and if the D plays more like '09 rather than '10, they'll be ok. I think Dalton is smart enough to handle the playbook, and I would rather let Jay, Dalton and the skill players grow in the offense together right from the start.

Sounds a lot like Cedric Benson. I like how that turned out.

[/quote]

What? Vince Young is the guy that "took some days off" just prior to the week 2 matchup with Pittsburgh, was clearly overwhelmed and had to be yanked. KFC (Collins) came in for the last quarter and brought TN to a dropped endzone pass from beating The Steelers. Vince sat on the bench, off by himself- with his face down in his palms. This followed games where he asked out of playing - once in the playoffs against The Charger and another time against Jax. Then there's the whole "i'm quitting on you Jeff Fisher" bit and the throwing the pads into the crowd bit against Washington last year. I don't think Benson ever pulled that kinda soft minded bullshit.
I personally don't want VY anywhere near Dalton or our young receivers. The guy created a culture of division against vets and coaches in TN. Fuck him.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1310422386' post='1000517']
All the more reason to throw Dalton into the fire. If he can start playing decent by the end of the season then we can forgo another QB.
[/quote]

And if he sucks ass and is shell shocked at the difference between the Stealers and UNLV?

[img]http://content.screencast.com/users/sois/folders/Jing/media/e65fd3c1-2feb-47c8-bb9b-be7709e30eb1/2011-07-11_1618.png[/img]

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1310426546' post='1000528']
And if he sucks ass and is shell shocked at the difference between the Stealers and UNLV?

[img]http://content.screencast.com/users/sois/folders/Jing/media/e65fd3c1-2feb-47c8-bb9b-be7709e30eb1/2011-07-11_1618.png[/img]
[/quote]

The first 5 games don't look too horrid on paper. No Stealers or Ravens until much later, just the Browns game one at home which shouldn't be too difficult. Colts week 6 but that should scare our defense more than our offense.

You do make a good point though. I am sold on bringing in Favre. WCO QB with some experience. He would be a mentor and at 43 he would know it.

[/quote]

Oh I don't know...how about a steadily improving defense that could easily be Top-10 status? How about an already-proven running game that was sufficient to win a division in '09? How about the most favorable schedule in a long time? To name a few positives.

That is not #1 overall bad enough, no?

The Bengals won't pick first overall and Luck will not be in stripes, IMO.

So, are the Bengals gearing up for a visit to the Super Bowl? Are we one stud FA QB away? Or are we grooming a rookie, and quietly preparing for another 4 win season with hope for the future? Or are we a Vince Young/Marc Bulger 8-9 wins and no playoffs kinda team?

It's an odd rebuilding-like year where you really hope to win but in reality may end up taking another step back to take 3 forward. Who knows.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1310528203' post='1000731']
Start Dalton, roll with the punches, hope for the best. Next year rolls around and your skill positions on offense are completely set and ready to go. Please start Dalton from the get go!
[/quote]

I don't understand why anyone would think Dalton is the future QB. He's a poor man's Colt McCoy and I'm not afraid of McCoy. Our rookie OC is high on him but Gruden hasn't shown anything yet. Starting Dalton right away would be a mistake. He'll inevitably be rusty and slow to react. He'll get beat up or turn it over a lot. There's a risk he turns into a gunshy guy like Klingler did or David Carr. Even if not, his ceiling isn't very high. In the meantime the rest of the team has to put up with learning pains.

• 1 month later...
What an awesome job - backup to Peyton Manning, 2 years 14 million!!!

The job listing went something like this:
Candidate must have experience in carefully holding a clipboard for 32+ games. Must have experience wearing headset without saying a word or getting in the way. Standing on sideline with an attentive expression a plus. Candidates who desire to play need not apply.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-27/collins-contract-two-years-14-million

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1314487071' post='1022348']

Candidate must have experience in carefully holding a clipboard for 32+ games. Must have experience wearing headset without saying a word or getting in the way. Standing on sideline with an attentive expression a plus. Candidates who desire to play need not apply.

[url="http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-27/collins-contract-two-years-14-million"]http://aol.sportingn...ears-14-million[/url]
[/quote]

lol there's no way in hell he ever sees that 2nd yr ($10 million). It's basically a 1yr $4 million deal (2.5 to sign, 1.5 base) as everyone else is calling it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1314487343' post='1022350']

lol there's no way in hell he ever sees that 2nd yr ($10 million). It's basically a 1yr $4 million deal (2.5 to sign, 1.5 base) as everyone else is calling it.
[/quote]

Uhmm... that's not so sucky either. I'd take it.

[quote name='Harley' timestamp='1314487071' post='1022348']

[url="http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-27/collins-contract-two-years-14-million"]http://aol.sportingn...ears-14-million[/url]
[/quote]
Is Manning going to be healthy for the opening game?

Collins has over 40,000 yards lifetime passing. He has done WAY more than hold a clipboard during a pretty good pro career.

Archived