Fan who caught Jeter's 3,000 hit ball may end up paying $14K in taxes

Go Skins

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/07/12/fan-who-caught-derek-jeters-3000th-hit-may-have-to-pay-hefty-tax-bill/?test=latestnews

NEW YORK -- The fan who gave Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit ball back to the Yankees captain and received a treasure trove of gifts in return was bracing Tuesday for another present: a five-figure tax bill, The New York Times reported.

Christian Lopez, the fan who caught and returned Jeter's home run ball at Yankee Stadium on Saturday, could be facing a tax bill for all that he received in return for his good deed, potentially to the tune of about $14,000.

The Yankees gave the 23-year-old Lopez four luxury suite tickets for each of the team's remaining home games, including the postseason, as well as three bats, three balls and two jerseys all signed by Jeter. He also received front-row seats for Sunday's game, which reportedly sell for up to $1,358.90 each.

If the goods are classified as prizes, rather than gifts, Lopez -- who has said he owes more than $100,000 in student loans -- could be in line for a heavy bill from the IRS.

A modest valuation of $50,000 for all of the items would likely mean a roughly $14,000 tax liability, the newspaper reported.

"There's different ways the IRS could try to characterize a ball caught by a fan in the stands," Andrew D. Appleby, a tax associate who has written about the taxing of souvenir baseballs, told the newspaper. "But when the Yankees give him all those things, it's much more clear-cut that he owes taxes on what they give him."

Other experts disagree.

Wait, how in the hell could those not be gifts?

Also, if he was sneaky, he would say he received the bats/balls/jerseys [u][i][b]before [/b][/i][/u]Jeter signed them. Then Jeter signed them after ownership was transferred. Those balls would only be worth like $2 bucks a piece in respect to gift/prize taxation.

Also, I would argue that the tickets never changed ownership. It would be like if I bought a pizza and someone else came and ate it. They don't own the pizza, I do, they just consumed it.

I need to be a tax laywer, I am Jewish after all.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6765849/companies-pay-new-york-yankees-fan-christian-lopez-taxes

Companies are stepping up to help and honor the fan who returned Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit ball.

If Christian Lopez, a 23-year-old cellphone salesman from Highland Mills, N.Y., has to pay taxes on the goods he received from the New York Yankees after returning the ball, companies are ready to strike out his debt.

But that's not all! Lopez will also get his own baseball card and has received a 2009 World Series ring.

Lopez scooped up the milestone baseball Saturday. Instead of trying to sell the ball, he decided to give it back to Jeter. The Yankees responded by giving him memorabilia and tickets, setting off media speculation that Lopez would have to pay taxes on his windfall.

According to accountants contacted by the New York Daily News and New York Times, that tax bill could end up being anywhere from $5,000 to $14,000.

"Worse comes to worse, I'll have to pay the taxes," Lopez told the Daily News on Monday. "I'm not going to return the seats. I have a lot of family and friends who will help me out if need be.

"The IRS has a job to do, so I'm not going to hold it against them, but it would be cool if they helped me out a little on this."

Well, it looks as if he will get plenty of help. Miller High Life issued a statement Wednesday saying that the company would cover Lopez's tax bill.

"Miller High Life believes you should be rewarded for doing the right thing, not penalized," Miller High Life brand manager Brendan Noonan said in a statement. "We want to recognize Christian Lopez, and in turn everyone like him, for doing the common sense thing and help him continue to live the High Life."

The 2009 Yankees World Series ring came courtesy of Mitchell Modell, CEO of Modell's Sporting Goods, who got the ring because Modell's sponsors the Yankees. That wasn't all Modell gave Lopez: Lopez will receive five percent of the entire chain's Yankees merchandise sales for one week. Both Modell and Brandon Steiner, CEO of Steiner Sports, guaranteed Lopez at least $25,000 each.

The money will help with any taxes and student loans, which Lopez says top out at $100,000 from his days at Saint Lawrence University.

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1310656635' post='1000881']
am i the only asshole that has 0 sympathy for that fucktard?

golden oppritunity fell in his lap and he, literally, gave it away

maybe its just cause i dont give a flying fuck about the yankees or baseball in general, but i cant see myself doing what he did
[/quote]

It's not about caring about baseball... It's about not putting your own self interest above others, and doing what you think is right, even if that means you miss out on a "golden opportunity".

In fact, it would appear that sticking to his principles is paying off just fine.

Regardless of the outcome.. I wish more people had the decency and ethics he displayed. When everyone is just worried about "#1", it sure does seem to create a lot more of #2 for everyone to have to deal with.

in this case the "others" is the new york yankees organization and Derek Jeter...its not like I'd be witholding food from a bunch of orfins

i dont see whats so indecent about selling your property to a party that would be more than welling to buy it, and certainly wouldnt break their bank doing it

and im not sure what "#2" we'd have to deal with i the kid sold the ball...hell we'd probablly hear a lot less about it, which i would consider to be less "#2"

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1310663398' post='1000898']
in this case the "others" is the new york yankees organization and Derek Jeter...its not like I'd be witholding food from a bunch of orfins

i dont see whats so indecent about selling your property to a party that would be more than welling to buy it, and certainly wouldnt break their bank doing it

and im not sure what "#2" we'd have to deal with i the kid sold the ball...hell we'd probablly hear a lot less about it, which i would consider to be less "#2"
[/quote]

The fact that you don't seem to grasp anything in my post should not be surprising I guess, considering the one I originally replied to.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1310658991' post='1000892']
It's not about caring about baseball... It's about not putting your own self interest above others, and doing what you think is right, even if that means you miss out on a "golden opportunity".

In fact, it would appear that sticking to his principles is paying off just fine.

Regardless of the outcome.. I wish more people had the decency and ethics he displayed. When everyone is just worried about "#1", it sure does seem to create a lot more of #2 for everyone to have to deal with.
[/quote]

Winner.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1310658991' post='1000892']

Regardless of the outcome.. I wish more people had the decency and ethics he displayed. [color="#FF0000"]When everyone is just worried about "#1", it sure does seem to create a lot more of #2 for everyone to have to deal with.[/color]
[/quote]

I'm stealing this.

[quote name='mullichicken25' timestamp='1310671231' post='1000921']
Sometimes I act like an immature prick who says dumb shit and then tries to cover it up by pretending I'm joking. Just ignore me.

[/quote]

No problem there guy.

Archived