Bengals claim WR Brandon Tate, C-G Mike McGlynn, TE Mickey Shuler

[size=6][b] [b]Bengals turn to new return man[/b][/b][/size]

[size=6][b] [b]Tate to handle kickoffs and punts[/b][/b][/size]

[b]CLEVELAND -- [/b] Last year, Bengals special teams coach Darrin Simmons went into the opener with nine new players on his coverage team but experienced returners.

Going into Sunday's game at Cleveland it's a little bit of a reversal. Simmons has most of his coverage and up-front return-unit guys back. but he has a new returner who could give him the big play potential he hasn't had in awhile.

After being claimed on waivers from New England, Brandon Tate is expected to handle both punts and kickoffs against the Browns. In last year's opener, which was against the Bengals, Tate fielded a kickoff on a bounce at the start of the second half and ran it back 97 yards for a touchdown. He also had a 103-yard return in a Monday night game against Miami.

Said Simmons of Tate, who finished third in the AFC in kick return average last year: "We had an opportunity to get a guy who is a very good home run hitter. He's a very good cutter and has great quickness and body control. There's a lot to like about him."

Asked if Tate is the best returner he's had in his nine seasons as special teams coach, Simmons was not ready to go that far, complimenting Peter Warrick, Bernard Scott and Quan Cosby. While the release of Cosby was a bit of a surprise, the chance to upgrade the return game and add help at receiver was too good to pass up.

"This guy has a better, natural feel of understanding where the kicker is kicking it," Simmons said. "He's developed a natural feel of running with the ball. He's been productive. This kid has a burning desire deep down to get better at it."

At North Carolina, Tate set the NCAA career record for combined kick and punt return yards (3,523). He's also one of only nine players in NCAA history to return a kickoff and punt for a touchdown in the same game.

With the Patriots, Tate returned only one punt in two seasons. That also came against the Bengals last year. At North Carolina, he averaged 10.6 yards per return and had three touchdowns.

Said Tate of returning punts: "I have to have the same mindset I had at North Carolina. See what opportunities there are and put my trust in the other 10 guys to go out there and work as a unit."

Simmons had spent plenty of time with Tate this week and has confidence that he can return punts Sunday. Jordan Shipley is also an option.

"I think he'll do fine with it," Simmons said. "He was back there the whole game against us last year but he didn't do much. I have complete confidence in him."

For those who were fretting about the new kickoff rules, Green Bay's Randall Cobb showed there still is the chance to return one. The rookie and former UK standout fielded a kick eight yards deep in the end zone on Thursday and ran it back 108 yards for a touchdown.

"It was pretty good," said Tate, who saw Cobb's return. "My hat goes off to him. You have to take chances to make a play. You have to see what you can work off of during a return and go from there."

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110909/SPT02/109100341/Bengals-turn-new-return-man?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110909/SPT02/109100341/Bengals-turn-new-return-man?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals[/url]

[quote name='#22' timestamp='1315656574' post='1028158']
Mr. Show? Mr. Show is awesome.
[/quote]

This looks and sounds like a lost Mr. Show sketch but it actually appeared on an episode of The Jenny McCarthy Show. Apparently it was written by Jon Glaser (who appears as an invisible dead body remover).

http://bizarrocinema.blogspot.com/2010/07/dead-invisible-people.html

:shrug:

Archived