2nd Grader Kicked out of School for Residency Issues

Go Skins

This is out of Calvert County, Maryland:

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/calvert-county-kicks-out-second-grader/2012/05/08/gIQAnwzkBU_story.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/calvert-county-kicks-out-second-grader/2012/05/08/gIQAnwzkBU_story.html[/url]

Instead, Kristina Hammond contends that her 7-year-old daughter was caught in a bureaucratic nightmare as the Southern Maryland school system seeks to weed out students who officials say don’t live in the county. Calvert officials suspect that Sierra resides in neighboring [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/prince-georges"]Prince George’s County[/url].

With scarce resources, Calvert officials say they have no choice but to go after those who commit [url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-schools-insider/post/dc-tries-to-draw-line-on-school-residency-fraud/2011/10/07/gIQALxDRTL_blog.html"]residency fraud[/url].

“We’ve always taken this extremely seriously,” said Gail Bennett, a schools spokeswoman. “We want students attending school, but we want them to attend in the district where they legally reside. We consider this our obligation to our local taxpayers who are funding our education system.”

The Calvert system, with about 16,000 students, is well-regarded in the Washington region. Its high performance on Maryland state tests could make Calvert a magnet for families with children in schools elsewhere that have lower scores.

Hammond said she is not against the effort to weed out nonresidents. But, she said, Sierra is not one of them.

“She’s not getting the education she should get,” Hammond said last week. “It’s just not fair.”

Sierra returned to school Monday after inquiries by The Washington Post about her situation and the school system’s residency policy. Her case is pending.

For the previous 15 school days, when Sierra should have been working on her fractions and learning to write in cursive in class, she instead was sitting at the roofing company her grandparents own in Forestville, watching television, occasionally writing and reading.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1336587429' post='1129749']
I agree with looking for residency fraud, but it's just dumb to take the kid out of school while they're in the middle of figuring it out
[/quote]

What I would like to know is when was the tip sent in and depending on that, why wait till May to kick a kid out when they will be out of school in a month anyway (MD starts before Labor Day). A letter could have been sent the last week of school bascially saying, your child won't be promoted to 3rd grade until you can prove residency.

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1336588094' post='1129752']
What I would like to know is when was the tip sent in and depending on that, why wait till May to kick a kid out when they will be out of school in a month anyway (MD starts before Labor Day). A letter could have been sent the last week of school bascially saying, your child won't be promoted to 3rd grade until you can prove residency.
[/quote]

Dont punish the kid for their parents choices, let them move on to 3rd grade but if they were in a different district move on to it in the district they are supposed to be in.

I blame the parents, that's who is the committing fraud. If the parents had been honest then this wouldn't be an issue.

If you don't like the schools in your community, get off your ass and make a positive change. I get sick and tired of apathic parents who do nothing but leave the responsibility of the education of their child to someone else. But then they want to complain when their child doesn't get good grades or when something like this happens.

The article eventually says mom has lived at home with her mom since she was a teenager. Mom is now 31 years old. So, I am not sure how fisable moving is.

I do agree with PatternMaster though. My stepsister tried to land a seat on the Board of Education in Frederick, MD. No kids, 36 years old, just a vested interest in the future of tomorrow. She didn't make it past round 1 by 12 votes, but I went up to a rally that she was involved in and it was interesting to see how that school system is being run.

[quote name='The PatternMaster' timestamp='1336595701' post='1129793']
I blame the parents, that's who is the committing fraud. If the parents had been honest then this wouldn't be an issue.

If you don't like the schools in your community, get off your ass and make a positive change. I get sick and tired of apathic parents who do nothing but leave the responsibility of the education of their child to someone else. But then they want to complain when their child doesn't get good grades or when something like this happens.
[/quote]

tip of the cap, stud, good shit

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1336596503' post='1129799']
The article eventually says mom has lived at home with her mom since she was a teenager. Mom is now 31 years old. So, I am not sure how fisable moving is.

I do agree with PatternMaster though. My stepsister tried to land a seat on the Board of Education in Frederick, MD. No kids, 36 years old, just a vested interest in the future of tomorrow. She didn't make it past round 1 by 12 votes, but I went up to a rally that she was involved in and it was interesting to see how that school system is being run.
[/quote]

I know someone on the Board of Education in the city in which I live and believe me when I tell you the welfare of the children is not the top priority, too much political bullshit and fighting for power to get anything of substance accomplished. It's sad when you think about it, adults who go into the education field but only care about money and power.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1336591605' post='1129780']
Dont punish the kid for their parents choices, let them move on to 3rd grade but if they were in a different district move on to it in the district they are supposed to be in.
[/quote]

This. Don't even withhold 3rd grade. Let her finish the school year, if she passed, move her up. Find out over the summer what district she's to be in, and place her in 3rd grade in whatever district is appropriate.

I'm sorry - I have little respect and tolerance for public school administrators. Mind you, I'm not speaking of the teachers. The central office administrators. In my county they do stuff so ass backward... it ends up costing more after they've "investigated" or made whatever changes than if they'd left it alone. And, this typically is to "save taxpayers money"... uh-huh...

Archived