Senior Bowl Week Notes

Even if Howard is rehabbing well he's going to be a FA next year if I read correctly.  Really hope they get deals with MJ and Andre so they don't have to use 2 of the first 3 picks replacing them instead of improving at other spots.

Here's a thought no one has really talked about. DE and OT tend to be highly paid positions. Both guys had great years but are they really 10 mil a year type players?

What if they let them both walk and use our 50 mil to resign everyone else pacman, Newman, Howard, Gilbert, geathers. Then use the rest to go full other holes we were planning on drafting had we resigned mj and Andre. Sign a starting caliber safety like the guy from atl, sign Reggie bush, sign a starting linebacker.

Then in the draft draft a RT and DE with two or our first three picks and use the other on BPA.

Could potentially fill more holes by using our money better to our advantage.

Not saying we should do this or that I want them to, but it's possible....

Then in the draft draft a RT and DE with two or our first three picks and use the other on BPA.

How does replacing two of the better players at their respective positions with unproven draft picks "fill more holes"?  You're assuming both of these draft picks come in and produce like MJ & Andre. Odds are we'd be lucky if either one did.  Being a first or 2nd round pick doesn't guarantee anything but a nice contract.

Atlanta is probably not letting go of Moore, and Reggie Bush.. no thanks. Even so, between those 2 and a starter-quality LB you'd be spending the same amount of money while letting your two best FA's walk. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Here's a thought no one has really talked about. DE and OT tend to be highly paid positions. Both guys had great years but are they really 10 mil a year type players?

What if they let them both walk and use our 50 mil to resign everyone else pacman, Newman, Howard, Gilbert, geathers. Then use the rest to go full other holes we were planning on drafting had we resigned mj and Andre. Sign a starting caliber safety like the guy from atl, sign Reggie bush, sign a starting linebacker.

Not saying we should do this or that I want them to, but it's possible....

I can't agree because I like proven talent at Oline.  Smith is that.  Pay the man, he plays a premium position so he should receive premium pay.  Is there another Olineman available at #21 that's going to be better than Andre?  Hell no....DJ Fluker, maybe....MAYBE but Andre is proven.  Pay the man.  Oline continuity is huge.   I can see that approach with MJ as DE is an easier position to transition to the NFL game and have decent success but it too is a premium position that demands premium pay.   If the money is available, I would take a proven vet over an incoming rookie ANY DAY with a few exceptions.

I don't like the dominos that would fall as a result of not re-signing Andre.  I see him as the most important FA to sign back. 

I can't agree because I like proven talent at Oline.  Smith is that.  Pay the man, he plays a premium position so he should receive premium pay.  Is there another Olineman available at #21 that's going to be better than Andre?  Hell no....DJ Fluker, maybe....MAYBE but Andre is proven.  Pay the man.  Oline continuity is huge.   I can see that approach with MJ as DE is an easier position to transition to the NFL game and have decent success but it too is a premium position that demands premium pay.   If the money is available, I would take a proven vet over an incoming rookie ANY DAY with a few exceptions.

I don't like the dominos that would fall as a result of not re-signing Andre.  I see him as the most important FA to sign back. 

Yeah I never said I'd want to go that route just thy it is a possibility if the Bengals don't think Andre is worth a big contrac. I think he is but I could also see why if they would have to spend 8-10 mil a year to resign him why it might make more sense to spend that 8-10 mil elsewhere if they don't think he is worth it.

I think and hope they will sign him though but you never know.

Yeah I never said I'd want to go that route just thy it is a possibility if the Bengals don't think Andre is worth a big contrac. I think he is but I could also see why if they would have to spend 8-10 mil a year to resign him why it might make more sense to spend that 8-10 mil elsewhere if they don't think he is worth it.

I think and hope they will sign him though but you never know.

Of course if he's not worth it, but I don't think that's a question with Smith.....unless you're saying the Bengals still have doubts.  Because to every outside observer, analyst, fan etc.. he's easily worth premium money.  His play too is premium.   And again, who's a replacement for him that can be had in the spot the Bengals are picking at?  I don't see one this year that will be available so they would have to reach badly for someone and hope he's capable or move up (which we know isn't happening)  

Of course if he's not worth it, but I don't think that's a question with Smith.....unless you're saying the Bengals still have doubts.  Because to every outside observer, analyst, fan etc.. he's easily worth premium money.  His play too is premium.   And again, who's a replacement for him that can be had in the spot the Bengals are picking at?  I don't see one this year that will be available so they would have to reach badly for someone and hope he's capable or move up (which we know isn't happening)  

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I almost feel that I would be more surprised if we resign both guys than I would be if we let one walk.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I almost feel that I would be more surprised if we resign both guys than I would be if we let one walk.

I'll be honest with you, I feel the same.  I would be very pleasantly surprised if both received long term deals.....it's not being pessimistic, it's being a Bengal fan.  That's what we're used to for the most part though we have seen some uncomfortable trends change here lately. 

We're still almost a month away from free agency, hard to say what'll happen.

Exactly. Very few people will even really go to work on contracts until the combine starts. Right now just lets fans go on wild tangents and fantasies, some of them quite pessimistic.

Alleycat, I haven't watched the game, so I trust your take on it. I have also seen others say he was bad in the game so I would bet good money that you are correct.

I would probably say though that judging a LB off of one game against Oregon is difficult. Their offense is so unique and so high paced that it can take opponents way out of their comfort zone. Oregon tries to get the snap off within 8 seconds of the ball being spotted on every play. And they just rotate through waves of small but super shifty RBs who all run in the 4.3 to 4.4 range. As a result of all of the speed and quick snaps, the Oregon offense ends up running a lot more plays than the average team. Instead of the D having to play for 60 plays, they may have to play for 80 or 90 plays.

Again, I didn't watch it and don't want to speculate too much, but is entirely possible that Brown was just winded and fatigued. Thus looking slow and/or lazy. Just as one example, I remember watching a Burfict led AZ State defense in 2011 give up well over 300 yards rushing and over 500 yards in offense to Oregon. And they played them tougher than most, especially in the first half. But by the 4th quarter their D just had nothing left and Oregon took them apart. Vontaze looked like shit by the end.

I don't have a strong opinion on Brown, but I would be curious to see how he fared against some other offenses.

truth to the bolded.  When you're watching defensive guys play against Oregon, you have to keep in mind that while Oregon's offense obviously isn't as talented as an NFL offense, they probably have more speed at the skill positions than a typical NFL team.  

There were a couple plays where Brown didn't get to Barner or Thomas before they turned the corner, but realistically no backer is going to beat them in a foot race every time.  

I was quite impressed with how fast Brown played in the game.  Fastest I've seen him play.

Archived