Pardon me while I vent

Jason

Yeah I've noticed that and I graduated from the University of Mary Washington. I thought about George Mason but I didn't want to deal with the traffic on Braddock road and VA 123, I have friends whom graduated from there.

My company is always sponsoring but they only take more experience otherwise I'd help ya out.

I would hate to be a new graduate these days, and I'm sorry to see you're having such challenges finding work.  Just some thoughts from my perspective as I've done most or all of these:

1.  Consider moving.  Often times, your value and options go up depending on what part of the country or world you find yourself.  If you have the means of packing up and moving, and have a support system or don't really need one it can bring you some really good options.  One part of your problem is that you live in a densely populated area with a lot of colleges and universities around which means your value is diluted as there are a lot of people who can do what you do.  You might fare better in a place like Denver, North Dakota, southern Wyoming, or even Las Vegas.  These are places which have a need for talented developers and IT folks, but there isn't the population density or higher education footprint to supply them.  North Dakota is going through a huge oil boom, Denver has had a strong IT presence for years, Cheyenne, Wyoming is developing a tech footprint (mainly due to wind powered data centers), etc.  I use Indeed for job hunting as it is one of the best aggregation sites out there.  Just type in a location and start hunting by keyword; you'll be surprised at what you'll find at times.  Location can have a huge impact on your career trajectory, and I wouldn't have had the same opportunity to be successful elsewhere as I have here in Las Vegas.  The city is so transient and the schools so dreadful that the IT talent pool here has the depth of a teaspoon.  I'm really good at my job, but I don't believe I would have gotten as many opportunities elsewhere.

2.  Volunteer your service and talents.  Find a non-profit organization, such as a pet sanctuary, homeless shelter, women's shelter, or whatever you might have a passion for and volunteer to help with their IT or website needs.  Redesign their website, create a tracking database, create a check-in application, etc.  I did this for a pet rescue organization out here, and that helped me gain some experience with database development (a skill now long-lost), server configuration, and how to replace hard drives in UNIX.  That gives you practice and real-world experience that you can put on your resume, plus it makes you look like a great person for helping out (though it's not completely altruistic).

3.  Network in real life.  Join (if you can afford it) an organization like AITP or at least go to their meetings that they hold once per month.  Those meetings usually have CIO's, CTO's, and other working IT pros in attendance (plus a lot of sales people, but you take the good with the bad).  LinkedIn and the like are great and a necessity in this age for anyone who works in IT.  However, there is nothing like being able to put a name to the face, or impress upon someone that you're a nice guy as well as technically sound.

Just some ideas, and I'll add more if I think of anything.  Good luck... 

This is all good. The other thing is to build your network through informational interviews. Track down people through linkedin, friends, advisors, professional orgs, or just places that you would like to work, fire off an email and ask if you can sit down with them and ask them Qs about there job and company. This is a great way, as elflocko said, to get your face in there. Then when you apply you can mention this contact...it may help to get from the big pile of random faceless people, to the small pile of people in consideration.

Thanks to those who posted their advice I learned a couple of things I didn't even think about. I'm currently working with a friend for updating their churches website and have gone to the local temp agencies in my area. I'm networking with people and understand the importance of putting a face to the resume as one of my friends wife is recruiter for IT. I'm also seriously considering moving to Texas to stay with my relatives and try to find work in either Austin or Houston and where they live it would a manageable commute should I find anything. Does anyone live/work there and if so how is it...?    

Thanks to those who posted their advice I learned a couple of things I didn't even think about. I'm currently working with a friend for updating their churches website and have gone to the local temp agencies in my area. I'm networking with people and understand the importance of putting a face to the resume as one of my friends wife is recruiter for IT. I'm also seriously considering moving to Texas to stay with my relatives and try to find work in either Austin or Houston and where they live it would a manageable commute should I find anything. Does anyone live/work there and if so how is it...?    

I just head that 1300 people move to Texas DAILY, and 180 of those come to Houston.

Archived