Pardon me while I vent

Jason

So who's ready to join a union?

ouch, sorry to hear that man.

Me too

Oh shit.  Seriously?   :thumbsdown:

Unforunately, yes....

that stinks, been there.  Knowing in advance allows you to look elsewhere, but doesn't make it any easier to swallow.  Especially when its not due to your performance.  

That's exactly it, my boss even told me he'd hire me back as soon as he could but based on what I see, that won't be for a long time.  I'm going to move on and do what I've been wanting to do.  Knowing in advance definitely helps in planning.

Law school or PT school? Something else?

I have a degree in Information Technology......database administration/comp programming but don't really enjoy that.  I've been working for the past 8 yrs at this company as a Project Manager along with doing Int'l Compliance, Metallurgy and even some purchasing (small company, about 7mil/yr so we wear different hats if needed).  I like having the computer skills but don't want to make a career of it because I just don't enjoy it.  I was dumb in college so I chose a major very unwisely and without considering the most important things that come with a job/career, aside from money.  So now I'm in school for Nutrition as that's what I'm passionate about and have been studying it on my own for the past 6 yrs after I had a severe bacterial infection that almost killed me.  I'll go full time now. 

I have a degree in Information Technology......database administration/comp programming but don't really enjoy that.  I've been working for the past 8 yrs at this company as a Project Manager along with doing Int'l Compliance, Metallurgy and even some purchasing (small company, about 7mil/yr so we wear different hats if needed).  I like having the computer skills but don't want to make a career of it because I just don't enjoy it.  I was dumb in college so I chose a major very unwisely and without considering the most important things that come with a job/career, aside from money.  So now I'm in school for Nutrition as that's what I'm passionate about and have been studying it on my own for the past 6 yrs after I had a severe bacterial infection that almost killed me.  I'll go full time now. 

That's how I originally ended up majoring in music, and they always try to force you into education.  Not a good fit when one dislikes children.  Too bad I didn't figure that out until 3 years in...  :29:

That's how I originally ended up majoring in music, and they always try to force you into education.  Not a good fit when one dislikes children.  Too bad I didn't figure that out until 3 years in...  :29:

At least you figured it out...now you do something you love.  I hope to follow in those footsteps :)

i got no raises the first 5 years at my company. hell i magically got hired during a hiring freeze even. THEN, i got 6.5% raise 2 years ago, and a 5.325% raise last year. I am 4.5% away from the max pay for my position. So i will have to move to another job or department in the next year or two.. frankly jason, regardless of profits, there are probably people coming uot of college who cant find jobs or unemployed individuals who would do your job for less than you area already making, hell i have 3 co workers making 20% less than I am. my initial thoughts were: be glad you have a job be glad you get raises at all which sounds shitty, and it sucks to feel unappreciated or ripped off, but it comes across as a sense of entitlement, and isnt the soc sec "increase" just un-doing the lowering that bush did, so its simply back to what it was previously? and if so didnt you essentially, in your way of thinking, get an even bigger "raise" due to it being cut before?

Yeah I'm on those people I graduated this past December with a degree in CIS with a very good GPA and internship experience with Java using Oracles web logic in the DC metro area. I found out yesterday again a position I interviewed for was put on hold due to sequestration, which is the second time I had this happened this week for programming jobs. I've also had several in person interviews for other IT jobs and numerous phone interviews since graduating in December. I have 3 years retail supervisory experience as that was my job through college and actively looking for both employment in IT and retail. I'm currently teaching myself RoR, and working on creating myself a website using HTML 5 and CSS 3 with a little bit of j query to build myself a portfolio to add to my Dice and LinkedIn accounts. If anyone has any advice or jobs leads lol it would be greatly appreciated.

I've been there, twice in a 5 year period, although one of those for some reason I saw coming 10 months before it happened but it didn't make sense at the time.

The upside is although it took a very long time, I got a job doing what I have wanted to do for years. I took part time and full time temp assignments (talked to multiple temp agencies) which helped my skill set, even if the assignments were for a few months, it shows a potential employer that you are trying, instead of sitting at home and doing nothing.

I'm getting laid off at the end of this month......

If nutrition is what you want to do then do it.   However, it sounds like you have good experiences and Project Management seems to be always hiring.   Plan B might be go combine those IT skills with some accounting or go get your PMP designation.   But if you don't enjoy it, I guess stick to your plan.

If nutrition is what you want to do then do it.   However, it sounds like you have good experiences and Project Management seems to be always hiring.   Plan B might be go combine those IT skills with some accounting or go get your PMP designation.   But if you don't enjoy it, I guess stick to your plan.

I should have specified....the P.M. job that I have has nothing to do with I.T. really.  I got this job because my dad was a professor at UC, the Engineer I interviewed with had him for classes.  The interview was the most informal one I've ever been part of in my life......but only after he found out who my dad was.   So I get the job, graduate a few months later and they give me a promotion and pay me more than I would be making with a programming job so I stuck around.  I've lost much of my computer skills as I didn't keep up with them.  I just don't enjoy programming and would/could never do that for a career.

I do love nutrition......definitely going to pursue a career in this field.  Elflocko said find a job that they pay you to do, even though you would do it for free.  That's nutrition for me.  I've designed diets and exercise plans for 8 of my friends.  All 8 have met or exceeded their goals in terms of weight loss, increased health.  One no longer has psoriasis after dietary/lifestyle changes.  One has lost over 75 lbs.  I love this shit! 

Thanks for the advice, I like how we can talk shit to each other about football but when it comes to real life stuff, all that is forgotten.  I appreciate that Scharm.  

Yeah I'm on those people I graduated this past December with a degree in CIS with a very good GPA and internship experience with Java using Oracles web logic in the DC metro area. I found out yesterday again a position I interviewed for was put on hold due to sequestration, which is the second time I had this happened this week for programming jobs. I've also had several in person interviews for other IT jobs and numerous phone interviews since graduating in December. I have 3 years retail supervisory experience as that was my job through college and actively looking for both employment in IT and retail. I'm currently teaching myself RoR, and working on creating myself a website using HTML 5 and CSS 3 with a little bit of j query to build myself a portfolio to add to my Dice and LinkedIn accounts. If anyone has any advice or jobs leads lol it would be greatly appreciated.

I would hate to be a new graduate these days, and I'm sorry to see you're having such challenges finding work.  Just some thoughts from my perspective as I've done most or all of these:

1.  Consider moving.  Often times, your value and options go up depending on what part of the country or world you find yourself.  If you have the means of packing up and moving, and have a support system or don't really need one it can bring you some really good options.  One part of your problem is that you live in a densely populated area with a lot of colleges and universities around which means your value is diluted as there are a lot of people who can do what you do.  You might fare better in a place like Denver, North Dakota, southern Wyoming, or even Las Vegas.  These are places which have a need for talented developers and IT folks, but there isn't the population density or higher education footprint to supply them.  North Dakota is going through a huge oil boom, Denver has had a strong IT presence for years, Cheyenne, Wyoming is developing a tech footprint (mainly due to wind powered data centers), etc.  I use Indeed for job hunting as it is one of the best aggregation sites out there.  Just type in a location and start hunting by keyword; you'll be surprised at what you'll find at times.  Location can have a huge impact on your career trajectory, and I wouldn't have had the same opportunity to be successful elsewhere as I have here in Las Vegas.  The city is so transient and the schools so dreadful that the IT talent pool here has the depth of a teaspoon.  I'm really good at my job, but I don't believe I would have gotten as many opportunities elsewhere.

2.  Volunteer your service and talents.  Find a non-profit organization, such as a pet sanctuary, homeless shelter, women's shelter, or whatever you might have a passion for and volunteer to help with their IT or website needs.  Redesign their website, create a tracking database, create a check-in application, etc.  I did this for a pet rescue organization out here, and that helped me gain some experience with database development (a skill now long-lost), server configuration, and how to replace hard drives in UNIX.  That gives you practice and real-world experience that you can put on your resume, plus it makes you look like a great person for helping out (though it's not completely altruistic).

3.  Network in real life.  Join (if you can afford it) an organization like AITP or at least go to their meetings that they hold once per month.  Those meetings usually have CIO's, CTO's, and other working IT pros in attendance (plus a lot of sales people, but you take the good with the bad).  LinkedIn and the like are great and a necessity in this age for anyone who works in IT.  However, there is nothing like being able to put a name to the face, or impress upon someone that you're a nice guy as well as technically sound.

Just some ideas, and I'll add more if I think of anything.  Good luck... 

DC is hard to find IT work without a clearance. Where did you graduate?

Yeah I've noticed that and I graduated from the University of Mary Washington. I thought about George Mason but I didn't want to deal with the traffic on Braddock road and VA 123, I have friends whom graduated from there.

Paul,

Couple deals to find a job pending the field.    Look for temp agency and register with them.   They might not have anything but alot of companies are using temps and then the fire full time. 

Like above: Look for a volunteer situation that you are interested.  American Cancer Society always does their relay for life in local communities good place to meet someone that might know someone.

Then also like above any organization events.  Typically free and have a decent guest list to meet some people.

Paul,

Couple deals to find a job pending the field.    Look for temp agency and register with them.   They might not have anything but alot of companies are using temps and then the fire full time. 

Like above: Look for a volunteer situation that you are interested.  American Cancer Society always does their relay for life in local communities good place to meet someone that might know someone.

Then also like above any organization events.  Typically free and have a decent guest list to meet some people.

Also excellent advice. 

Archived