!!!THE PATRIOTS @ BENGALS GAME THREAD!!!

What's the patriots defense ranked at? Cause they are freaking good. We have played top notch defenses so far if you think about since week one except for GB. The Browns had the best Defense so far for sure. They had that AFC North style D.

Pats came in with the 6th best ppg average. We're allowing only 14.25ppg

I don't buy the Browns or the Ravens right now. We still have 3 games against those guys, thankfully. Would have been awesome for the Dolphins to pull it out today.

That was a close one. Honestly, there really doesn't seem to be a dominant team in the NFL period outside of the Broncos and maybe the Saints. But, all we can do is keep winning games and "keep shoveling".

I don't buy the Browns or the Ravens right now. We still have 3 games against those guys, thankfully. Would have been awesome for the Dolphins to pull it out today.

the baltimore/miami game was kind of a no-win/no-lose game.  The result hurts for the division, but helps for the wild card, and would have done the same vice versa if Miami had won.

the baltimore/miami game was kind of a no-win/no-lose game.  The result hurts for the division, but helps for the wild card, and would have done the same vice versa if Miami had won.

Houston, Tennessee, and the Dolphins all lost today. SD TBD. KC and DEN still look great. We only play one of those teams H2H, so winning the division is still our best path to the playoffs. 

Houston, Tennessee, and the Dolphins all lost today. SD TBD. KC and DEN still look great. We only play one of those teams H2H, so winning the division is still our best path to the playoffs. 

Yes...but I fear playing the Broncos right now. Maybe our defense can make a difference but holy shit Peyton is playing like his pants are on fire. The guy is undeniably awesome. I love him, yet I hate him. TIMMY!

Yes...but I fear playing the Broncos right now. Maybe our defense can make a difference but holy shit Peyton is playing like his pants are on fire. The guy is undeniably awesome. I love him, yet I hate him. TIMMY!

He is pants-shittingly awesome. We would also be easily the best D he's played yet this year. Apart from KC and maybe Houston (who's getting fucked right now) we're better than anyone on their schedule.

He is pants-shittingly awesome. We would also be easily the best D he's played yet this year. Apart from KC and maybe Houston (who's getting fucked right now) we're better than anyone on their schedule.

Doing to him what we just did to Tom Brady would be the highlight of the season, almost regardless of what happens afterwards,

If there's a reason for letting Leon Hall take as long as he wants to rehab, it's so he can lock down Wes Welker in the AFCCG  :rock:

If I can dream, I want a pick six from Leon when and if that happens.

Just to see the "TIMMY" look on Manning's face....you understand...

Daugherty: Bengals' defense renders Tom Brady powerless

The 38th and last pass of Tom Brady’s completely forgettable day fluttered like a paper airplane, whipped by a crosswind and slapped by a monsoon rain that arrived with two minutes left in the game, as if summoned by Mike Zimmer himself. Subjected to such torment, even a Brady throw in the clutch had no chance. Adam Jones tipped it, fell backwards at the Bengals 3-yard line, then guided the ball into his belly. 

Interception. Ballgame.

The Bengals defense has never looked better, Brady has never looked more mortal and, just like that, Cincinnati has thrust itself back into the big-boy conversation.

A week after malingering in Cleveland, the Bengals re-established what they expect from themselves. As for the rest of us, we’re not yet sure what to expect. As Andrew Whitworth explained, “If we go to Buffalo and lay an egg (next Sunday), this won’t mean a thing.’’

For a day at least, Cincinnati showed itself worthy of its preseason hype, at least on defense. The 13-6 win over New Englandwas the latest, greatest line on Zimmer’s already fat resume. He is the Bengals defensive coordinator who, for some reason, is not yet a head coach.

“Great plan,’’ Jones allowed, without allowing any hints as to what that plan entailed.

Here’s the meat of it:

Stop the run. Attack the line. Put Brady on his butt. Repeat.

The New England quarterback’s greatness is not up for debate. But he isn’t Ben Roethlisberger in one, key respect: If you hit him early and often, you can make him think instead of play. It’s hard to throw when you’re backpedaling. Physically and mentally.

On the second play of the game, Geno Atkins burst unblocked through the thick of the line, and sacked Brady. Message delivered, right on time.

“We showed them from the second play that we ain’t gonna mess around today,’’ Domata Peko said. “After that, he was a little shaky in the pocket. We hit him all day. When you do that, they make mistakes.’’

“It definitely set the tone for the day,’’ added defensive line coach Jay Hayes, “that we were going to hit him as much as we could.’’ 

The defense delivered all afternoon. Carlos Dunlap forced a fumble in the 2nd quarter, ending a Patriots drive that had reached the Cincinnati 32. Adam Jones capped a spectacular goal line stand in the 4th quarter, slapping a ball away from Julian Edelman in the end zone, on third down. That was the third play in a row that commenced from the Bengals 1. New England opted for a field goal that narrowed the Bengals edge to 13-6.

Then, after Giovani Bernard fumbled, giving the Pats a first down at their 44 with 3:26 left, Wallace Gilberry and Chris Crocker combined to sack Brady on 3rd-and-10. Then came Jones’ clinching interception, in the rain.

Of the downpour, Jones said, “Man, I was happy about that. I was like, ‘When is it coming?’ It came right on time.’’

The Bengals defense was so good, it almost rendered irrelevant the need for the offense’s contribution. Which was fortunate, because the offense was good only when it had to be. Which, while not yet a pattern in 2013, is certainly a trend.

Things might change, as everyone gets more familiar with, and confident in, one another. Right now, the offense is like a kid with a lot of new toys, who only gets to play with them a few minutes a day. Andy Dalton continued his run of OK-ness. He looked good leading a crucial 93-yard, 4th-quarter TD drive. He also forced a bad throw into coverage that killed an early drive with an interception.

The play-calling early was either an attempt to set a muscular tone or an admission that this offense lacks big play swagger. Both, probably. Regardless, Dalton didn’t even target a wide receiver with a pass until 6:38 remained in the first half. The offense seems designed more to avoid mistakes than probe weaknesses.

That’s a concern for another day. Sunday, the Bengals beat a good team, in a game they had to have, given how they played last week in Cleveland. “We had a chip on our shoulder all week,’’ Peko said.

Marvin Lewis awarded Mike Zimmer a game ball, only the second he has handed out in his 11-year tenure. The other went to Mike Brown in 2003, when the Bengals upset an unbeaten Kansas City Chiefs team in the 10th game of the season.

Zimmer could have cut the ball in enough pieces for all of his defenders to share. It was that kind of win.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131006/COL03/310060090/Doc-Bengals-defense-renders-Brady-powerless

I think the biggest reason I like Harvey (ESPN Bengals blogger) is because all of his pieces don't reek of pretentious superdouchery like everything P-Douche has ever written.

If I can dream, I want a pick six from Leon when and if that happens.

Just to see the "TIMMY" look on Manning's face....you understand...

http://www.manningface.com

That pick by Dalton was really bad, He should have just run out of bounds or thrown it away. That said, TITS UP for the fucking defense today. Without Hall and Johnson...I was afraid. But fuck that shit! The wrecking crew took over and dominated one of the best QB's to EVER play the game. Zimmer gets a game ball.

Man, we've beaten, the Stealers, Packers and Pats, all in one year.. Those are NFL standbys even if the Stealers suck this year... It's just good to make that statement!

It is indeed good. One obstacle left in the "never beaten them before" Is Mr Manning.

Archived