Russia invades The Ukraine

Jamie_B

I thought that remark was a bit generous myself. Still, Whitney has been a reliable commentator on the financial side of things since 2007/8.

As I mentioned earlier, this is the Great Game distilled to it's essence. It's strategery on the same level as what gave us WWI. So I'd suggest dropping the checkers mentality because this is definitely a chess match. The outcome of this will go a long way towards determining a lot of the rest of this century.

I feel like Putin's just waiting for the opportune moment to send in the troops. Seems pretty clear we're not willing to go to war over Ukraine,

I've seen news from the region as well as heard from Ukrainians here, who have family members there still, stating that the Ukrainian army is essentially going after its own people, and that people are going essentially town to town in trying to gather resistance to the army's aggression.   Going around setting large residential buildings on fire.  Many have died already. 

On a side note....can't stand the US media.  

I've seen news from the region as well as heard from Ukrainians here, who have family members there still, stating that the Ukrainian army is essentially going after its own people, and that people are going essentially town to town in trying to gather resistance to the army's aggression.   Going around setting large residential buildings on fire.  Many have died already. 

On a side note....can't stand the US media.  

What part of the country are your friends from? What would they consider an ideal outcome & what's their realistic best-case scenario?

What part of the country are your friends from? What would they consider an ideal outcome & what's their realistic best-case scenario?

Slavyansk or something like that?  There is 'heavy' fighting there she said....'foreigners and Ukrainian army' attacking the citizens of Slavyansk, they've set a few large apt complexes on fire forcing people to jump from higher floors.  People getting straight up sniped...including police officers.  I believe in Odessa it's the same situation....I believe these are historically pro Russian cities.  

All I know is what is going on and what is being reported are two different realities and the corporate news will report what they're instructed to.  

Not sure about the second part of your post....I'll have to talk to my friend.  Will report back after I do.  

The city is spelled Sloviansk per this BBC article.  Interesting thing in the article....it shows a picture of the citizens of Donetsk who have held gatherings to protest the government troops actions.....sorry, puppet government's troops as this government is not legitimate......these same citizens, inhabitants of the city are being referred to as 'pro Russian groups".....that is blatantly inaccurate....they're no pro Russian groups...they're the citizenry.  They happen to be pro Russia, but to refer to them as 'pro Russian groups' is wildly inaccurate and misleading.   Call it what it is....citizens fearing what happened in other cities, Odessa most notably, will happen to them and are protesting the troops' actions.  Look at the picture, it's the citizens of the city.....men, women and children....not 'pro Russian groups'. 

What sounds better?  Ukrainian troops kill 17 members of pro Russian groups or Ukrainians kill 17 citizens of Donetsk?   Words have power, the media knows this.  

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27272964

"The Economics of Thieves"

The comments about WWII remind me of one of the best war movies ever produced: "Come and See." Get the disk from Netflix (or watch it online) and note what happens in this part of the world when things fall apart.

Very interesting and in my experience, accurate statement from the article, aside from the part of thwarting the will of the Afghan people....that simply will never happen:

And a giant middle finger to the "peace" community, the apologists of the war machine, and especially liberals and elements of the first world left who are always the last to see that their purist intellectual detachment is always--*always*--suspiciously close to empire's agenda, who watch (and cheerlead!) while the US and its proxies slaughter innocents and thwart the will of the people from Afghanistan to Zaporozhye.

Archived