The "I don't care about reaches, we're running it down your throat" Mock

1. Carlos Hyde RB OSU - Big back to work with Gio.  Also a capable blocker and receiver.
2. Gabe Jackson OG Miss St. - Move Zeitler to LG and put big Gabe next to Andre and run.
3. Keith McGill - CB Utah - we need a CB and he's a tall guy with some speed
4. Will Clarke DE WVa - Big lanky DE to work into the rotation
5. Dri Archer WR/RB Kent State - Joystick 2.0
6. Seantrell Henderson - Big body OT who can get coached up.
6. JC Copeland FB LSU - Lead blocking sledgehammer
7. Marcel Jensen TE Fresno State - Good blocking TE with big hands and upside as a receiver.
7. Shaquile Evans WR UCLA - Big strong WR who can get deep and also a good blocker downfield.

I get it I guess (I like the idea of establishing more of an offensive identity) but I wouldn't like those first few rounds. I think we really need an OL who can eventually take over at LT, likely by next season. 

Whitworth will turn 33 during this season and his knees seem to get worse every year. He might be able to prolong his career by moving to LG in 2015, but either way, he's nearing the end of his career and is going to become a liability at LT sooner than later.

If you take a guy like Jackson who is a guard only, the team is potentially screwed if Whit's knees act up again because Marshall Newhouse is a well below average starter who would likely struggle if asked to step in for multiple games. If the Bengals are going to use a premium pick on an OL, it almost has to be a guy who can potentially bounce out to LT (Zach Martin, Cyrus Kuandjio, Morgan Moses, Joel Bitonio, Jack Mewhort, etc.). 

Also, I know you are purposely not really worried about value here, but a RB in the 1st is such a waste. This RB class is pretty loaded and I don't think there's that huge a drop from Hyde to a guy like Jeremy Hill in the 3rd or 4th.

Kony Ealy + Jeremy Hill>>>Carlos Hyde + Will Clarke 

Same with a 1st round CB and then a RB in the 3rd instead of McGill. There's just not a huge dropoff at RB like there is at other premium positions like CB, DE and LT.

Archived