Framing Sports jerseys, anyone have experience?

GoBengals

As finishing the basement comes to a slow reality, I am gathering my sports stuff, and pondering how to display it in my office in the basement.

I have Jerseys, Baseballs, Footballs, basketballs, Some cards, some photos, etc.

I am framing the photos and cards, and getting display cases for the footballs, basketballs, etc.

Getting this for the baseballs.

$T2eC16V,!)!E9s2fB+N5BRiry1Yt2Q~~60_12.J

has a UV glass front and locks closed...love it..

So the jeerseys are the issue.

i do NOT care for the shadow boxes/jersey display cases.. far too thick, look wierd on walls in smaller rooms, etc...

i have seen a few youtube videos about framing in normal frames and a few techniques.. but never done it myself..

Anyone ever done it or seen any clever ways of doing it?

any suggestions or advice would be welcomed!

Get a couple of manequins and put the jersey on it. Other than that there are some pretty artistically minded people here that will eventually chime in.

One last suggestion is to call a frame shop which specializes in that stuff. Ask for suggestions.

Get a couple of manequins and put the jersey on it. Other than that there are some pretty artistically minded people here that will eventually chime in.

One last suggestion is to call a frame shop which specializes in that stuff. Ask for suggestions.

did that second part at hobby lobby and michaels, both tried to push the shadowboxes, said the standard frame could be done but recommend an extra deep frame style, etc..

30x40" seems to be a perfect size, i measured jerseys tonight.. may wanna grab some premade ones from hobby lobby, say some for $90 frame only(also have 40% off coupon), i can get the UV protected plexiglass for like $13 each, then a foam backing is $4.. so i would be at roughly $70-75 per framing.. but i dont know anything about what pins/needles to use to attach jersey to foam board so it stays upright in frame, can i still do matting, jersey will likely interfere ir id have to fold jersey under at bottom to fit inside matting?!?

I have:

Vontaze Burfict ASU Sign White Jersey inscribed "Go Devils" as well

Magic Johnson Adidas swingman Yellow Autographed Jersey

Robert Geathers authentic white jersey

Carson Palmer authentic signed Black Jersey

Domata Peko SOON to be signed White authentic jersey

Nick Van Exel Game worn soon to be signed white Nuggets jersey

should get 2-3 reds jerseys within a year or two, i will buy 4-5 extra frames if i get a setup that works, so theyll match.

Balls:

Magic Johnson signed basketball

Victor Oladepo Signed basketball

3x Carson Palmer Signed footballs

Individually(one per ball) signed: Pete rose, Eric Davis(x3) Brandon Phillips, Jay Bruce, Joe Morgan, soon to add: Frank Robinson, johnny bench

Photos:

4x Carson Palmer signed 8x10's

Magic Johnson backin down jordan 16 x 20" signed by magic

aj green signed 16 x 20

aj green signed 8 x10

4x Marvin Jones signed 8x10;s

Pete rose signed 8x10

Pete rose signed photo of record breaking hit, framed already

3x eric davis signed 8x10's

Bats:

Pete rose signed full size bat

I hung many of my kids jerseys in my basement using these:

http://www.shirtwhiz.com/pages/how-to-hang-jerseys-on-a-wall

Found somebody selling them cheap on eBay at the time.  Your mileage may vary.  I love how they can be shaped/reshaped to accomodate any jersey type (football, basketball, etc).

Downside is they are not enclosed/protected.  Upside is I can swap out jerseys easily to rotate as desired such as per sport season, etc.

I had one signed pro jersey that I had professionally framed/enclosed/etc.  Takes up a TON of room, and doesn't look that appealing IMHO.  It was mega expensive too.  I didn't have any luck find pre-made frames large enough. 

There are some DIY online frame places that sell parts ala carte cheap which work good for larger frames.  I bought some of those for big movie posters and they worked out well.  I'll see if I can find a link.

thanks, those are pretty clever, but i think I want to have the protection, small kids, etc.. danger around every corner... id rather have a damaged frame than a damaged item..

I am hoping to gain enough jersey space by going with 3/16 UV plexi, and a back panel that mounts to the back of it vs inside the frame space...

the authentic football jerseys are the ones i worry about the most..

then a matter of pinning them in place properly...

appreciate anything that you may come across!

Thanks!

Understood on the protection and little kids...different purposes and ages here.  My basement turned out to be more for the kids (high school & college) to have a nice place to hang out with their friends.  I even ended up putting in a little kitchenette area (fridge/cabinets/sink/microwave).  I'm hoping they'll let me use it occasionally once football season starts.  :)

Here is the DIY frame hardware place I used...any size you want in either direction in 1/8" increments...clips/hardware super cheap....shipping isn't cheap unless you order enough to hit the free shipping threshold.  I think the craft stores have some of this stuff, but more expensive and only in a few common sizes.

http://www.decor-frame.com/basic-frames.php

Not sure if they would be deep enough for the jerseys or not.  I used acrylic for "glass" and it was much thinner than 3/16"...more like 3/32" (just the stuff from a big box hardware store).  Getting mat material big enough was the biggest challenge for what I was doing with the poster frames.  One of the craft stores (don't remember which) had some fairly big ones in various colors...but for the biggest ones I ended up finding something on eBay.

Understood on the protection and little kids...different purposes and ages here.  My basement turned out to be more for the kids (high school & college) to have a nice place to hang out with their friends.  I even ended up putting in a little kitchenette area (fridge/cabinets/sink/microwave).  I'm hoping they'll let me use it occasionally once football season starts.  :)

Here is the DIY frame hardware place I used...any size you want in either direction in 1/8" increments...clips/hardware super cheap....shipping isn't cheap unless you order enough to hit the free shipping threshold.  I think the craft stores have some of this stuff, but more expensive and only in a few common sizes.

http://www.decor-frame.com/basic-frames.php

Not sure if they would be deep enough for the jerseys or not.  I used acrylic for "glass" and it was much thinner than 3/16"...more like 3/32" (just the stuff from a big box hardware store).  Getting mat material big enough was the biggest challenge for what I was doing with the poster frames.  One of the craft stores (don't remember which) had some fairly big ones in various colors...but for the biggest ones I ended up finding something on eBay.

Looks like both michaels and hobby lobby had enormous backing options, i will have to look into acrylic options.. not that much daylight will hit them, but i want the 98% UV protected stuff... just in case...

i think i will keep stopping by hobby lobby and seeing if they get more ready made stuff in that i like.... then pull the trigger and give it a try..

i will check out the site more, saw mostly metal frames, was thinking wood, but metal might be an easier cheaper opiton

Love the baseball display.    Don't have enough balls to fill up at this time but definately love they way it is organized.

For the framing,  I've never tried to do it on my own but it's worth a shot because with that many quality pieces to display your are going to be running huge costs so anything to shortcut it is going to help.

Another thing that's cool, IMO and you probably have a ton of game tickets is  thatsmyticket.com.    Basically blows up your ticket into a displayable hanging picture.

Last time I checked they were having issues with the NFL but cool stuff.    They also have cool ideas on displays for other stuff.

Love the baseball display.    Don't have enough balls to fill up at this time but definately love they way it is organized.

For the framing,  I've never tried to do it on my own but it's worth a shot because with that many quality pieces to display your are going to be running huge costs so anything to shortcut it is going to help.

Another thing that's cool, IMO and you probably have a ton of game tickets is  thatsmyticket.com.    Basically blows up your ticket into a displayable hanging picture.

Last time I checked they were having issues with the NFL but cool stuff.    They also have cool ideas on displays for other stuff.

AWESOME site.. thanks for the link!

I think I will probably get a regular frame and make a collage of all of my tickets from bengals games.. sadly 2-3 are ticketmaster or stub hub printable tickets, which are lame...

I went to hobby lobby, they have a frame only frame a love, 30x40", black, semi fancy but just nice.. $45 after 50% off deal(thats seemingly always on) i would want 10 of them to future proof having different frames..

going to check online and the big box stores for 30x40 UV plexi/poly sheets for "glass".. and just use foam board for the backing.. 

i am hoping to be around $75 per frame.. which seems very doable... i just acquired another jersey... and i think i have stubs to about 110 bengals games i have attended so far...

It already sounds like you have LOTS more cool stuff to hang up and display than I do...and even I found out fairly quickly that I had lots more ideas of things to hang than I had wall space to fit.  Just something to keep in mind.  With the hall and multiple rooms, you have more wall space though...mine is really just one L-shaped room and a small interior bathroom...and some wallspace taken with kitchen cabinets, closet, etc.

Also depends how much you want to pack the wall area too, i.e. whether things are stacked and packed tight or spread out.  My basement has too many themes really...multiple sports, music/band, car stuff, etc., but I like the variety....wish I had more room!!!  :).   I have one wall that's packed with framed vinyl albums which I think is really cool looking.  They sell frames just for that purpose and I accumulated them over several months with the 50% coupons, 2-for-1's, multiple visits, etc.  Sometimes cluttered and tight looks good...sometimes not....I guess it depends on if you want more of a collage look (more) or you want to feature things (fewer).

I love vinyl too, but I own nothing worth framing. A few obscure artists signed vinyl but I think I may only frame one of them. In the theater room. I would prefer movie and music stuff vs tons of sports. But we will we how it goes. I also have a guest room I can use wall space in if needed as overflow. I don't know if anyone watched blue mountain state, but I donated a few hundred bucks to making the movie on kickstarter. So I have a full cast signed full size movie poster coming from that donation. I also ran a few record labels in another life and have album and concert posters from that and album plaques and stuff signed. Buuuuuuut it's all on the sketchy side as far as content I want my kids exposed to at this age.

I will keep posted with pics if I do anything cool soon.

This project can't be done soon enough.

Archived