In Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest mock draft, Bengals select WR amid run at position

Maybe he turns out to be Steve Smith.    He's similar build maybe not as quick.    Man I can't wait for the draft we could draft any position except QB and OT.

Yeah, that's an interesting comp. for him because his 41 inch vert should allow him to go up and get deep balls like Steve Smith. Makes me like him more than if he was limited to playing only in the slot. 

Shepard had a weird combine. His numbers were more in line with what you'd expect from a big outside receiver.

Everyone thought he was going to be super quick, but he ran a 4.35 shuttle and 7.00 three-cone. Those were slower than Fuller and also much slower than some of the bigger WRs like Michael Thomas who ran a 4.13 and 6.80. (Thomas' quickness numbers for a 6'3 guy were really impressive btw.)

On the other hand, Shepard went out and jumped a crazy 41-inch vertical. That's impressive, but not necessarily the type of thing you usually see out of a slot receiver. His 4.48 40-time was also really impressive considering how slow the WR times were overall. He also bench pressed 20 times, which is damn good. 

Not sure what (if anything) it means for his evaluation, but IMO he doesn't fit as neatly into the small, quick slot guy box as expected. But that's not all bad because also has the other strong traits that point to him maybe being able to have unexpected success as an outside receiver. 

When you combine his production, pedigree, experience, and physical traits you get a hell of prospect, imo. Someone who can start immediately and have an impact on this offense. He might not have the ideal height but he can play football at an extremely high level, whoever drafts him is going to get a good player. 

I'm warming to Jamie's idea of taking Hunter Henry. Try to trade down or let the clock timeout and submit a couple picks later. Mayock thinks he could be drafted in the first round. 93 of 116 catches were for either a first down or touchdown. Only 2 drops on 90 catchable balls his last 2 years. Yea I'd be loving that pick.Most likely a 3 down tightened.

I'm warming to Jamie's idea of taking Hunter Henry. Try to trade down or let the clock timeout and submit a couple picks later. Mayock thinks he could be drafted in the first round. 93 of 116 catches were for either a first down or touchdown. Only 2 drops on 90 catchable balls his last 2 years. Yea I'd be loving that pick.Most likely a 3 down tightened.

I don't see how they could, or would, do that. It would be like taking another OT in the 1st round after selecting them in 1&2 last year. You just can't minimize your previous draft pick investments that way (Kroft-3rd round, Ozumah-5th round) and yes, it would also minimize Tyler Eifert's role, too. If we were a team without huge needs at DT and WR, and lesser ones at CB and a secondary WR, perhaps it might be a distant consideration.

I don't see how they could, or would, do that. It would be like taking another OT in the 1st round after selecting them in 1&2 last year. You just can't minimize your previous draft pick investments that way (Kroft-3rd round, Ozumah-5th round) and yes, it would also minimize Tyler Eifert's role, too. If we were a team without huge needs at DT and WR, and lesser ones at CB and a secondary WR, perhaps it might be a distant consideration.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. You could maybe stretch to justify it if Kroft looked like a bust, but he didn't. He actually looked pretty good for a rookie TE (one of the tougher positions to adjust to in year 1). 

Plus, they like Hewitt and use him a lot (which makes 2 TE sets less common), so that's another strike against this idea.

Archived