What do the Bengals see in Russell Bodine?

After four years and 64 starts, one thing has become very clear: Russell Bodine is not a top center in the NFL.

But that hasn’t stopped Cincinnati Bengals Marvin Lewis from saying, “We want to do everything in our power to get Russell back.”

That’s a strongly worded statement that implies there are other options for Bodine out there. Most fans would imagine those other options are as a backup.

But new offensive line coach Frank Pollack, fresh off a stint coaching one of the best lines in the league in the Dallas Cowboys, called Bodine “impressive.” Sure he’s probably just trying to fit in, but maybe he believes it.

Viewers, both amateur and professional, would say that Bodine was below average last year. Pro Football Focus ranking him the 25th best center is just one supporting piece of evidence.

But PFF isn’t (or shouldn’t be) as good at evaluating talent as actual NFL coaches. So what did Bodine do on the field last year?

Like this article?

Sign up for the Bengals Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

The Bengals offensive line started to play better toward the end of the 2017 season, and Bodine had two of his best games during that time. The first good game for him came in Week 12 against the Browns, a contest in which the Bengals rushed for 152 yards. The second was against the Chicago Bears, a game that earned Bodine a PFF grade of  78.9, the third-highest grade for a center that week.

Bodine did do a solid job of pass blocking in the Bears game. But he wasn’t nearly as impactful in the running game against Chicago. And his contributions in the running game against the Browns were noticeable, but the Bengals’ offensive line had a great game overall, largely aided by the smart decision making of running back Joe Mixon.

In other words, it wouldn’t be wise to read too much into those two games, especially when Bodine has a portfolio of about 50 or so bad games.

So, again, why do the Bengals want Bodine back?

Probably because he’s still just 25 years old, he’s been durable (never missing a start), and they’ve decided he’s their guy. The Bengals are loyal to a fault to their veteran players, and Bodine is one of the biggest beneficiaries of their generosity.

And perhaps most importantly to Mike Brown, Bodine will be cheap by the standards of veteran centers in the NFL. He might not even command half of what top guys like Brandon Linder, Alex Mack, and Maurice Pouncey make. That is to say, he shouldn’t get much more than $4 million per year. But then again, the Bengals did sign Dre Kirkpatrick to a $52 million extension last year. So there’s no telling how far their loyalty will take them.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/25/what-do-the-bengals-see-in-russell-bodine/

6 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

He’s cheap.

If he played well in his 4 years, the odds of signing him to an extension would be less.

Hobson would be writing how the team “historically doesn’t value centers”.

This is life as a Bengals fan. 

Playing well the last two games is pretty meaningless when you have another large body of work.  Best if the Bengals adhere to the Flacco rule and not base their decision on 2 games.  That said if we can get him at a reasonable price I wouldn't have a problem with it. 

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Playing well the last two games is pretty meaningless when you have another large body of work.  Best if the Bengals adhere to the Flacco rule and not base their decision on 2 games.  That said if we can get him at a reasonable price I wouldn't have a problem with it. 

The only reason I have a problem with it is because that means we won't be looking to upgrade him anytime soon. If he signs a 4 year contract then we're pretty much saying that we won't be taking any top C prospects in the next 2-4 drafts and we won't be adding anyone that plays the position in UFA during the next 4 years either. He'll continue to play like a bottom 10 center and he'll keep his job because of his contract.

5 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

The only reason I have a problem with it is because that means we won't be looking to upgrade him anytime soon. If he signs a 4 year contract then we're pretty much saying that we won't be taking any top C prospects in the next 2-4 drafts and we won't be adding anyone that plays the position in UFA during the next 4 years either. He'll continue to play like a bottom 10 center and he'll keep his job because of his contract.

All valid points.   It would have to be a backup level contract.  If someone wants to pay him the going rate for an NFL starting o lineman, so be it. 

Just now, SF2 said:

All valid points. 

Honestly I'd be fine with him as a known commodity stop-gap IF I had any faith that the team would still be willing to use a high draft pick on a center or actively look at UFA upgrades. Signing Bodine would mean that the team would pass on Billy Price even if he's there with our 2nd pick and wouldn't even call Weston Richburg to kick his tires.

Also, I have NO idea what Bodine is "worth" in NFL money right now. I couldn't even guess what the contract would look like if he gets one here.

Archived