Bryan Robinson

I think the results with our run defense speak for themselves. Bryan Robinson is the biggest factor in this I feel. His play has really improved(aided by positional switches with other players) our line. I think our run D may be better than our pass D this year if this keeps up. He is leading by example and I think the rest of the front seven are responding to that.

Remember Chuck saying about 3 or so weeks back that the D is improving but no-one has stepped up yet to take a leadership role and make it their D. I think Bryan Robinson will be that guy(with Odel THurman a close second).

English Bengal.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Bengals1181' date='Aug 20 2005, 10:48 AM']I'm still a little worried about our run D.
[right][post="134878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah, it sure looked like we needed improvement. I think they were averaging 5 yards a carry against us. We weren't even averaging 3 yards a carry. That needs to be changed.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' date='Aug 20 2005, 08:51 AM']I think the results with our run defense speak for themselves.  Bryan Robinson is the biggest factor in this I feel.  His play has really improved(aided by positional switches with other players) our line.  I think our run D may be better than our pass D this year if this keeps up.  He is leading by example and I think the rest of the front seven are responding to that.

Remember Chuck saying about 3 or so weeks back that the D is improving but no-one has stepped up yet to take a leadership role and make it their D.  I think Bryan Robinson will be that guy(with Odel THurman a close second).

English Bengal.
[right][post="134814"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Regular season will be the indicator as to where we are...... Until we do it then----the ?????????????????????? remain. This team will only go as far as the defense allows them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='mongoloido' date='Aug 20 2005, 10:52 AM']Yeah, it sure looked like we needed improvement. I think they were averaging 5 yards a carry against us. We weren't even averaging 3 yards a carry. That needs to be changed.
[right][post="134880"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

exactly. However, I'm hoping Pollack, Madieu, and Thurman with a healthy knee will quickly help that.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='Aug 20 2005, 10:13 AM']exactly.  However, I'm hoping Pollack, Madieu, and Thurman with a healthy knee will quickly help that.
[right][post="134890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

thats my thought, considering the #1 guy we drafted for this very problem hasnt stepped on the field yet, its a bit early to judge either way, ...pollacks got 3 weeks to get his shit together....

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='EnglishBengal' date='Aug 20 2005, 12:41 PM']I know we gave up nearly 5 yards per carry, but it seems our front seven are already playing the run better than last season.  It will improve more I'm sure, once we get Pollock in there.

English Bengal.
[right][post="134953"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I hope so. Considering that one 20+ yarder got called back for holding by a receiver away from the play, we're really lucky the Redskins didn't average 6+ yards per carry against us.

Up the middle the D-looks much better but when the runner go around the line, they just destry us. I hope Pollacks the real deal cuz if he ain't, it's gonna be a long season of doubting Marvins choice not to grab another stout lineman in free agency. I gotta tell you, Thornton just isn't very impressive and it seems like everyone keeps making excuses for him. Now we re-arranged the spot where he lines up, this is his last chance to prove he can do anything.

[quote name='kriZENry' date='Aug 20 2005, 12:36 PM']Up the middle the D-looks much better but when the runner go around the line, they just destry us. I hope Pollacks the real deal cuz if he ain't, it's gonna be a long season of doubting Marvins choice not to grab another stout lineman in free agency. I gotta tell you, Thornton just isn't very impressive and it seems like everyone keeps making excuses for him. Now we re-arranged the spot where he lines up, this is his last chance to prove he can do anything.
[right][post="134985"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I agree. I've never really liked Thornton. His best days left him when he left the Titans. Also, he's too small for our D-line. We need Askew to step up and prove his worth and replace Thornton by season's end. Also, Geather's is young and is still learning. Hopefully he will improve with more reps and defend the run better.

English Bengal.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='kriZENry' date='Aug 20 2005, 12:36 PM']Up the middle the D-looks much better but when the runner go around the line, they just destry us. I hope Pollacks the real deal cuz if he ain't, it's gonna be a long season of doubting Marvins choice not to grab another stout lineman in free agency. I gotta tell you, Thornton just isn't very impressive and it seems like everyone keeps making excuses for him. Now we re-arranged the spot where he lines up, this is his last chance to prove he can do anything.
[right][post="134985"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

you guys need to watch the game over again then... JT had a very solid game... he was in for a sack, and was all over the place... he also made a very good tackle... people want to look at stats for dlineman, but what you look at is if they are pushed backwards and if they keep their feet... i'm getting tired of people saying that thornton isn't very good... our dline is looking pretty damn good right now... rewatch the game, and find a play that he was pushed around, didn't eat up his blocker, and wasn't around the ball on the run...

i call them how i see them, and i don't make excuses for him.. why the hell would i?? watch the game...

those calling for askew to step up [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] give him about 2 or 3 years... he may as well wasn't in there yesturday... sorry, but HE doesn't impress me at all yet...

justin smith name didn't get called much, but from my vantage point, it looked as if he was giving samuels fits on his side

on a long completed passplay by the Skins, I jumped up :rant: holding, holding

they caught it :blush: , smith would of recorded a sack on that play if samuels hadn't mugged him

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Lawman' date='Aug 20 2005, 01:09 PM']justin smith name didn't get called much, but from my vantage point, it looked as if he was giving samuels fits on his side

on a long completed passplay by the Skins, I jumped up  :rant:   holding, holding

they caught it :blush: , smith would of recorded a sack on that play if samuels hadn't mugged him
[right][post="135006"][/post][/right][/quote]

smith was everywhere :bowdown: he played outstanding... nobody can ever tell him that he doesn't give it 100%... he made a few good tackles and was always around the ball... the great thing about moving him to other side, is we don't have to depend on him getting sacks... geathers will rack them up this year, and smith will probably still get his 5-8 sacks this year, and be a real force on the run... he crushed that dude on that reverse :)

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Aug 20 2005, 02:15 PM']smith was everywhere :bowdown: he played outstanding... nobody can ever tell him that he doesn't give it 100%... he made a few good tackles and was always around the ball... the great thing about moving him to other side, is we don't have to depend on him getting sacks... geathers will rack them up this year, and smith will probably still get his 5-8 sacks this year, and be a real force on the run... he crushed that dude on that reverse :)
[right][post="135011"][/post][/right][/quote]

note to self:
bengalrick :wub: justin smith

:blush: me too

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Lawman' date='Aug 20 2005, 01:24 PM']note to self:
bengalrick  :wub: justin smith
:blush: me too
[right][post="135014"][/post][/right][/quote]

:D

GOOD, I WAS HOPING WE COULD HAVE ANOTHER IDIOTIC "WE NEED FAT ASS SLOW D-LINEMEN" THREAD (oops caps lock)... marvin lewis has yielded many superbowl defenses, often from the grouondup, and often from the draft, and frnakly, noen o the consisted of fat fuck d-linemen, what is a fat guy gonna do in the middle? besides not be able to shed blocks as well and be slower to reacting to the ball? and be fat? nothing, JT is no pro bowler, he gets his job done, he is never gonna get to a pro bowl, he is nver gonna get a bunch of sack o a shitload of tackles, but he is gonna hold his own and do his job, he always has, his signing bonus was paid enough to drop him this offseason if need be, and it was never even an option, never talked about(except the slack jawed yokals around here) its impossible to have a pro bowler at every position, many cases you need a seady guy who does his job, provides veteran knowledge and leadership to youth, and works hard day in and day out, ..thats exactly what JT does... who made excuses? there are no excuses, what are you trying to excuse? him not being a pro bowler? you better get on about 10 more defensive guys if thats your poblem with him. hell madieu williams screwed up and costs us the jets game, and got burnt many times early in the ear, but wait, he was just a rookie, ...clearly the d-line wasnt the only problem in the run stopping game, thus revamping the enire LB crew, the linebackers should be seeing run and meeting the RB at the line, the d-line should be trying to shed blocks, slow the runner, and occupying the o-line so the LB's can blitz or make the play.

we have changed a ton of players this offseason to fix the defensive problems, and 2 were on the d-line, that makes JT atleast 2nd best on the team... and someone who isnt worthless like tony williams or duance clemen on the end will only help robinson and JT...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Aug 20 2005, 05:22 PM']GOOD, I WAS HOPING WE COULD HAVE ANOTHER IDIOTIC "WE NEED FAT ASS SLOW D-LINEMEN" THREAD (oops caps lock)... marvin lewis has yielded many superbowl defenses, often from the grouondup, and often from the draft, and frnakly, noen o the consisted of fat fuck d-linemen, what is a fat guy gonna do in the middle? besides not be able to shed blocks as well and be slower to reacting to the ball? and be fat? nothing, JT is no pro bowler, he gets his job done, he is never gonna get to a pro bowl, he is nver gonna get a bunch of sack o a shitload of tackles, but he is gonna hold his own and do his job, he always has, his signing bonus was paid enough to drop him this offseason if need be, and it was never even an option, never talked about(except the slack jawed yokals around here) its impossible to have a pro bowler at every position, many cases you need a seady guy who does his job, provides veteran knowledge and leadership to youth, and works hard day in and day out, ..thats exactly what JT does... who made excuses? there are no excuses, what are you trying to excuse? him not being a pro bowler? you better get on about 10 more defensive guys if thats your poblem with him. hell madieu williams screwed up and costs us the jets game, and got burnt many times early in the ear, but wait, he was just a rookie, ...clearly the d-line wasnt the only problem in the run stopping game, thus revamping the enire LB crew, the linebackers should be seeing run and meeting the RB at the line, the d-line should be trying to shed blocks, slow the runner, and occupying the o-line so the LB's can blitz or make the play.

we have changed a ton of players this offseason to fix the defensive problems, and 2 were on the d-line, that makes JT atleast 2nd best on the team... and someone who isnt worthless like tony williams or duance clemen on the end will only help robinson and JT...
[right][post="135144"][/post][/right][/quote]

Well said. :bowdown:

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Aug 20 2005, 08:22 PM']marvin lewis has yielded many superbowl defenses, often from the grouondup, and often from the draft, and frnakly, noen o the consisted of fat fuck d-linemen [right][post="135144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Not true. He has only ever had one superbowl defense and that had Sam Adams (335) and Tony Siragusa (340) playing DT. A typical Marvin Lewis D created pressure up the middle, forcing teams to go to the outside where speedy linebackers would clean up.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Aug 20 2005, 09:22 PM']JT is no pro bowler, he gets his job done, he is never gonna get to a pro bowl,[b] he is nver gonna get a bunch of sack[/b][right][post="135144"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Actually he led the team with 6 sacks in '03. That is a pretty good number for a DT.

Like Go said, JT is not a pro-bowler, but he is not the problem with our run D. He started every game for the NFL's #2 run defense back in '02, and he is still young and healthy. I seem to remember some guy saying last year that "you stop the run with 11 guys."

This year we will have a new starter at six of our front seven positions plus a new defensive coordinator. That is A LOT of changes. It will take more than a couple of pre-season games for this unit to gel, but I'm expecting BIG improvements by the time the regular season gets here.

Archived