Looking At The LBs

I really believe the linebackers are the weakest position on the team..and that includes the offensive line. A lot of our defensive problems can be attributed to the LBs.  With Burfict coming back, that should help, but we still need to get better play from guys like Vigil and Evans.  Nickerson seems to be playing hard, he just isn't athletic enough to be a factor and doesn't have the instinct to make up for the lack of athleticism.  I'm not sure if we can hide the LBs on D somehow, but Haslett's got to get that group together.  

I honestly think we'll see a world of difference in play from the lb's and defense as a whole when Burfict gets back. I believe his instincts and football IQ is off the charts. He'll have players lined up much better than what's been happening. I liken it to the difference we used to see in the stealers D when Troy P was playing as to when he was not at that time.

8 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I honestly think we'll see a world of difference in play from the lb's and defense as a whole when Burfict gets back. I believe his instincts and football IQ is off the charts. He'll have players lined up much better than what's been happening. I liken it to the difference we used to see in the stealers D when Troy P was playing as to when he was not at that time.

Not only that, but they've been able to game plan around isolating Nickerson. It's why his name is getting called so much.

With Burfict back, we'll be hearing a lot more about Vigil, because he will be the weak link they want to run at. And that's no disrespect to Vigil, but between him, Brown, and Burfict, who would you run at?

Burfict is also a smarter zone defender and will make Kirkpatrick's life easier by playing better underneath coverage. Jackson hasn't gotten targeted much this season, but that also is partly to Vigil for being solid underneath. Kirk has taken a share of blame for being the "over" man in a zone. For making the tackle when the LB was tasked with stopping the throw.

Let's hope he has it figured out and can just play football.

Defense went from top 10 to bottom 10, I don't think it's fair to put that entirely on the LB's.  Letting Iloka walk is costing them & suddenly nobody behind the DL can tackle. 

To me it looks like we had a good scheme built by Zimmer, Guenther tinkered with it to mixed results, then we brought Austin in to tune it up and instead he's shit in the carburetor and declared it a sailboat.

Archived