Should the Punishments for "looting" after a

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[color="blue"][b]As Martial Law is decalred in New Orleans.... with rampant Looting should the punishments for lotting during a disaster be Lessened (the situation might make people desperate, especially if looting food) or should the punishment be worsened (stealing TV's while your citys is in shambles is deplorable and lets just use the firing squad on these scum)......[/b][/color]

[u]Looters strike in New Orleans
Aug 30th, 2005
[/u]

New Orleans - With much of the city flooded by Hurricane Katrina, looters floated garbage cans filled with clothing and jewellery down the street in a dash to grab what they could.

In some cases, looting on Tuesday took place in full view of police and national guard troops.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" - the radio code for police - and the crowd scattered.

Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures in amazement.

"It's downtown Baghdad," the housewife said. "It's insane. I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not."

Around the corner on Canal Street, the main thoroughfare in the central business district, people sloshed headlong through hip-deep water as looters ripped open the steel gates on the front of several clothing and jewellery stores.

'EVERYBODY's store'

One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked if he was salvaging things from his store.

"No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store."

Looters filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewellery and floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation as national guard lumbered by.

Mike Franklin stood on the trolley tracks and watched the spectacle unfold.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," he said.

A man walked down Canal Street with a pallet of food on his head. His wife, who refused to give her name, insisted they weren't stealing from the nearby Winn-Dixie supermarket.

"It's about survival right now," she said as she held a plastic bag full of purloined items. "We got to feed our children. I've got eight grandchildren to feed."

At a drug store on Canal Street just outside the French Quarter, two police officers with pump shotguns stood guard as workers from the Ritz-Carlton Hotel across the street loaded large laundry bins full of medications, snack foods and bottled water.

'For the sick'

"This is for the sick," officer Jeff Jacob said. "We can commandeer whatever we see fit, whatever is necessary to maintain law."

Another office, DJ Butler, told the crowd standing around that they would be out of the way as soon as they got the necessities.

"I'm not saying you're welcome to it," the officer said.

"This is the situation we're in. We have to make the best of it."

The looting was taking place in full view of passing national guard trucks and police cruisers.

One man with an armload of clothes even asked a policeman, "can I borrow your car?"

Some in the crowd splashed into the waist-deep water like giddy children at the beach.

[u]Looters Take To Streets; Conditions Deteriorate
New Orleans Injuries, Deaths Still Unclear
August 30, 2005
[/u]

NEW ORLEANS -- Looters in New Orleans are taking advantage of the destruction from Hurricane Katrina.

At a Walgreens drug store in the French Quarter Tuesday morning, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood at the door and shouted a warning -- and the crowd scattered.

A tourist from Philadelphia compared the scene to "downtown Baghdad.

Nearby, looters ripped open the steel gates from the front of stores on Canal Street.

They filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewelry and floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation.

WDSU-TV reported that martial law was declared in some parts of New Orleans Tuesday morning.

The declaration is imposed to restore order in times of war and emergency.

Here's my take on the situation.

You have a lot of people that have been displaced from their homes due to an act of God. These people more than likely couldn't afford to replace anything that was lost in the event. (If they could afford to replace everything, they wouldn't have to seek refuge in the Superdome) I say in this situation, people should be able to get what they need any way they can. The shopkeepers could help out by giving away some of the stuff, since they will recuperate it in insurance claims.

To answer your question, it depends on the situation. You shouldn't lock up a man or woman all because they stole food to feed their family. But there has to be a line drawn. Why in the hell would someone want to steal a TV that has been swamped by floodwaters and will probably never function again? and since there is no power, its useless to steal electronics or appliances during a disaster.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' date='Aug 30 2005, 10:51 PM']Here's my take on the situation.
You have a lot of people that have been displaced from their homes due to an act of God.  These people more than likely couldn't afford to replace anything that was lost in the event.  (If they could afford to replace everything, they wouldn't have to seek refuge in the Superdome)  I say in this situation, people should be able to get what they need any way they can.  The shopkeepers could help out by giving away some of the stuff, since they will recuperate it in insurance claims.

To answer your question, it depends on the situation.  You shouldn't lock up a man or woman all because they stole food to feed their family.  But there has to be a line drawn.  Why in the hell would someone want to steal a TV that has been swamped by floodwaters and will probably never function again?  and since there is no power, its useless to steal electronics or appliances during a disaster.
[right][post="138717"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Give it to them for free??? Remeber the shopkeepers live there as well and have to rebuild not only their homes but their businesses.

So far as food goes, fema and other private disaster relif places can take care of that, so why steal it?

They should be punished as the law requires.

BTW I was told that there has been a state of Marshal Law declared in the area, any truth to this rumor? Edit: Guess I should have read the 1st part of that.

Crazy, when was the last time we delcared Marsal Law??

Edit #2: On a side note if you want to help here is the link to donate to the RedCross....

[url="https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp"]https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp[/url]

Guest BlackJesus
Also from CNN

[quote][u]Widespread looting[/u]
Hundreds of people were looting businesses downtown, throwing rocks through windows and hauling away goods from stores. Some looters were brazenly trying on clothes in the street. Police said the looting was happening citywide.

Landrieu said she "can understand" how some people might loot to get food or water, but said she had no tolerance for people motivated by avarice. Such lawlessness "is the worst kind of behavior."

By mid-afternoon, officers armed with automatic weapons could be seen on downtown streets, and sporadic gunfire could be heard, although the source was unclear.

A police officer told CNN that three shootings, widespread looting and a number of attempted carjackings had been reported near the Louisiana Superdome, where more than 20,000 people were holed up in the city's shelter of last resort.

National Guard troops were moving down Canal Street in an effort to restore order to a business district that had been hard-hit by looters earlier Tuesday.

[b]Frustration was also rising inside the Superdome, where toilets were overflowing and there was no air conditioning to provide relief from 90-degree heat.

A man fell to his death from the second seating level inside the dome Tuesday, and witnesses told WGNO-TV that he jumped.[/b] [color="red"](Must have been a Saints Fan... Ok that was uncalled for) [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] [/color]

Blanco said officials are making plans to evacuate people from the Superdome and other shelters, but she did not say when that might happen or where they might be taken.

Charity Hospital, the city's main public health-care facility, was being evacuated, Blanco said.

More than 1,000 people were also being evacuated from the Tulane University Hospital, with help from the U.S. military, hospital spokeswoman Karen Troyer Caraway said.

Helicopters were moving 200 critically ill patients to other hospitals because rising water was threatening to take out backup generators, she said.

Patients were being carried to the roof of the hospital's parking garage and airlifted one or two at a time, she said.

"We've got rising water in the hospital," she said. "It's an unbelievable situation. We're completely surrounded by water. There's looting going on in the streets around the hospital."

The Federal Emergency Management Agency was moving 39 disaster assistance medical teams into the area, FEMA officials in Baton Rouge told CNN.

Smoke could also be seen on the horizon Tuesday afternoon, with at least one large building ablaze.

While the source of the fires was unclear, one plume of smoke was coming from an area on the west bank of the Mississippi River where oil and chemical storage facilities are located.

Floodwater also submerged the Orleans Parish and Jefferson Parish jails. Inmates were relocated to an elevated freeway on-ramp nearby, where they sat in the sun under the watch of armed officers.[/quote]

Guest mongoloido
Why should there be any change? Laws say stealing is wrong. Judges determine the intent and severity of the crime and sentence accordingly.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]Why should there be any change?[/quote]

[i][b]Nobody so far gas said there should.... the question was posed because I have heard several radio personalities advocating new rules that should go in place when there is a natural disaster.... making looting during a time of crisis the equivalent of sedition or treason. I think there are 2 categories here....

Looting food because you are hungry and your house has floated away and you have no cash to me is acceptable... and I would probably do it as well

If you are over 18 years old.... and you are Looting 10 pairs of jeans and CD's and a TV during a natural disaster then to me you are a disgrace and the person should be flogged in public and have your name and picture posted to the entire city that you are a piece of shit. [/b][/i]

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 31 2005, 02:50 AM'][i][b]Nobody so far gas said there should.... the question was posed because I have heard several radio personalities advocating new rules that should go in place when there is a natural disaster.... making looting during a time of crisis the equivalent of sedition or treason.  I think there are 2 categories here....

Looting food because you are hungry and your house has floated away and you have no cash to me is acceptable... and I would probably do it as well

If you are over 18 years old.... and you are Looting 10 pairs of jeans and CD's and a TV during a natural disaster then to me you are a disgrace and the person should be flogged in public and have your name and picture posted to the entire city that you are a piece of shit.  [/b][/i]
[right][post="138890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Agreed.

In most cases, looting food because your house is gone isnt an excuse. The Red Cross has both food and shelter available at disaster areas...usually w/in one day.

Now in cases where aid cant get there, I dont mind people looting food and medicine. But I agree with you guys that TVs and such are never acceptable.

[quote name='Beaker' date='Aug 31 2005, 09:46 AM']In most cases, looting food because your house is gone isnt an excuse. The Red Cross has both food and shelter available at disaster areas...usually w/in one day.

Now in cases where aid cant get there, I dont mind people looting food and medicine. But I agree with you guys that TVs and such are never acceptable.
[right][post="138960"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I completely agree.

From the article:
[quote]"It's about survival right now," she said as she held a plastic bag full of purloined items. "We got to feed our children. I've got eight grandchildren to feed."[/quote]

People will do what they can to survive, and I'm all for that. I understand and recognize what Jamie_B said about the shopkeepers, but you must keep in mind, Jamie, that those shopkeepers know full well the risks associated with these types of disasters and have insurance to cover the losses. They're already assuming a total loss anyway, so if some woman goes in there to get bread and drinkable water for her kids, or even herself, then she shouldn't be held accountable, especially in this situation because the Red Cross hasn't set up centers in reachable areas yet.

Stealing to steal is different, but scavenging food to survive is acceptable in my eyes.

Guest Claptonrocks
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 31 2005, 02:50 AM'][i][b]Nobody so far gas said there should.... the question was posed because I have heard several radio personalities advocating new rules that should go in place when there is a natural disaster.... making looting during a time of crisis the equivalent of sedition or treason.  I think there are 2 categories here....

If you are over 18 years old.... and you are Looting 10 pairs of jeans and CD's and a TV during a natural disaster then to me you are a disgrace and the person should be flogged in public and have your name and picture posted to the entire city that you are a piece of shit.  [/b][/i]
first scenario ....give it up
second one .....shoot them
If i see someone over 18 with jeans and food I let him eat then shoot his ass!

you guys are retarded. Its ok to loot a store for food because your hungry and there is a natural disaster?

My personal favorite is that insurance will cover it.

#1 how do you know some of these small mom and pop stores have insurance.
#2 after the stores premiums on their insurance go up because they had to make claims against damage and stolen goods then are they allowed to go to peoples houses and steal cash to pay for it?

Go to the red cross and other relief stations to get food. No one ever has the right to steal someone eles's property

I think Jamie read a little too much in my post.

Most of you agree with me on the beleif that people that are looting food is acceptable given the circumstances, and that stealing other items is really dumb and wrong. yes the people that steal Tv and jewelry need to be punished, but leave the people that are taking food alone. It is all about survival. I know that if I was put in that situation, then I would do whatever is necessary to provide for my family, even if it meant stealing food.

That is all i wanted to say for now.

I guess I should have been more clear. The question was if the laws should be harshened or lessend, I said let them be punished as the law requires, that is up to the the District Attorney, and Im fairly confident they woldnt go after someone getting what they need to survive, however if they were collecting even food to sell ect, then yes they would and should go after them. The Red Cross and FEMA is set up for situations like this and being that there is a state of marshal law at the moment that means the National Guard is down there and can help them. If the situation is one where there isnt anyone around to help these people then yeah Im ok with survival, if they are around then use FEMA and the Red Cross as they are intended.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Aug 31 2005, 12:47 PM']I guess I should have been more clear. The question was if the laws should be harshened or lessend, I said let them be punished as the law requires, that is up to the the District Attorney, and Im fairly confident they woldnt go after someone getting what they need to survive, however if they were collecting even food to sell ect, then yes they would and should go after them. The Red Cross and FEMA is set up for situations like this and being that there is a state of marshal law at the moment that means the National Guard is down there and can help them. If the situation is one where there isnt anyone around to help these people then yeah Im ok with survival, if they are around then use FEMA and the Red Cross as they are intended.
[right][post="139152"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img] Bravo Jamie!
That clears up your position on it fabulously!!!!

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Aug 31 2005, 03:50 AM']Nobody so far gas said there should.... the question was posed because I have heard several radio personalities advocating new rules that should go in place when there is a natural disaster.... making looting during a time of crisis the equivalent of sedition or treason.  I think there are 2 categories here....

If you are over 18 years old.... and you are Looting 10 pairs of jeans and CD's and a TV during a natural disaster then to me you are a disgrace and the person should be flogged in public and have your name and picture posted to the entire city that you are a piece of shit.

My point was that your thread made no mention of keeping the laws the same, only of making things harsher or more lenient. I don't think laws should be re-written to include intent, that's why they already include minimum and maximum sentences.

[quote name='mongoloido' date='Aug 31 2005, 01:14 PM']My point was that your thread made no mention of keeping the laws the same, only of making things harsher or more lenient. I don't think laws should be re-written to include intent, that's why they already include minimum and maximum sentences.
[right][post="139167"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

ditto

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]heres a good one from today. A policeman tried to stop a guy from looting and the guy turned around and shot the cop.[/quote]

[i][b]they were nice Fubu Jeans though

:ninja: [/b][/i]

Whodey319..you missed the point.

My point wasn't "go loot the grocery stores if there's a red cross center 5 minutes away", but rather that often times the Red Cross can't reach into the area fully and help those who can't help themselves. If you have no idea there's a red cross center 5 blocks that way and you and your family are starving, I see no harm in going to the local grocery around the corner and grabbing what you can to live.

I'd love to see the Red Cross and FEMA all up in that within a day of the disaster, but it's just not realistic sometimes, especially if there's retards shooting cops for whatever.

Oh, and if you live below sea level and don't have insurance, you deserve to lose everything you've worked for.

P.S. how many claims do you think will get filed because of "looting"? "Act of God" is a term that's going to be thrown around a lot, and it will be declared a disaster area shortly, allowing for further insurance payout.

::edit - changed target...damn my aim sucks.

Archived