Honest question for black Democrats

Jason

I'd guess that this New Orleans situation is a PR disaster for the GOP with regards to cultivating favour amongst Black voters and minorities. Something, they've been trying hard to do since the last election.

Question for you guys though please, would it be fair to say that JC Watts is the highest profile Black Republican in the States?

I wonder if you see him in a more prominent role from now on, in the lead up to the next election. Not a candidate I don't think...but probably getting a lot of face time.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 2 2005, 10:52 AM']smoov for one...
[right][post="140568"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I never said I was a democrat, I just think that Bush is a total fucking moron!!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

I don't totally support one party I support the people that run for president, i.e, if McCain ran I would probably vote for him and he's Republican.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Jason, here is an interesting article about the Republicans in the Senate and how they feel about people who look like me.

[quote]What is it with racist Republicans?
Ugh. Here we go again. To set the stage, the House was debating a bill to protect gun manufacturers from many lawsuits. I'll let the WP take it away:

[b]Yesterday's debate suddenly veered from guns to race when [Wyoming Rep. Barbara] Cubin criticized a failed Democratic amendment that would have banned gun sales to drug addicts or people in drug treatment. After noting that her sons, ages 25 and 30, "are blond-haired and blue-eyed," she said: "One amendment today said we could not sell guns to anybody under drug treatment. So does that mean that if you go into a black community you can't sell any guns to any black person?"[/b]

Rep. Melvin Watt (D-N.C.), who is black, interrupted and demanded that Cubin retract the statement. Cubin said that she did not mean to offend her "neighbors" on the Democratic side, and maintained that her comment was within House rules.

[b]Watt was not satisfied. "She needs to apologize for using words that are offensive for the entire African American race," he said. He demanded Cubin's comment be "taken down," meaning it was inappropriate for a House debate. In a largely party-line vote, the GOP-controlled House voted 227 to 195 to uphold the chair's ruling that the remark fell within House rules

So, a Republican lawmaker makes a racist statement. The Democrats ask for a form of censure (striking the remarks from the record), and the GOP votes, along party lines, to allow the racist statement to stay on the record.[/b].

And Trent Lott was supposed to have exorcised the GOP's ghosts of racist past.[/quote]

Any more questions!!!

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Sep 2 2005, 11:05 AM']I never said I was a democrat, I just think that Bush is a total fucking moron!!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

I don't totally support one party I support the people that run for president, i.e, if McCain ran I would probably vote for him and he's Republican.
[right][post="140581"][/post][/right][/quote]

i am also not a republican... but i'm as much of a republican as you are a democrat ;)

there are a few guys like lieberman and a few others that are closer to my values than john mccain is... i also like barrack obama... i haven't heard many of obama's views, but he also seems like a great leader, and i would look closely if he decided to run for president...

how about this article, which you ignored when i first [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=8115"]posted it[/url]:

[url="http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20050818-083858-3881r.htm"]washtimes.com[/url]

[i][b]Bush, blacks and the GOP[/b]
TODAY'S COLUMNIST
By Harry Jackson
August 19, 2005

During the last 12 months, much has been said about the role of the African-American community in American politics. As a swing group that has historically voted as a unit, blacks have had a disproportionate influence on national politics throughout most of the 20th century. In the new millennium, however, the role of African Americans is still being defined.
Democrats and Republicans alike often sound "preachy" in their discussions with blacks. Hypothetical solutions and "if I were you" speeches lost their luster years ago. Republicans often argue that the most severe problems with black America arise out of the brokenness of its families and its internal drift for a moral foundation or historic Christian values.
While these statements are true, just saying "Cosby is right" will not reverse trends that have been accelerated by wrong-headed policies of the past. Further, noting that a lack of personal responsibility is at the core of the black community applauds keeping blacks from any socio-economic strata.
Conversely, Democrats seem to hide behind the concept that institutional racism (a term coined in the '70s), along with societal ills, conspire against black achievement. They would add that lynching, hate crimes and racially based judicial "double standards" have turned the American dream into a vivid, deeply wrenching nightmare for many blacks. Blacks nod knowingly as such statements are made, while gazing in painful despair at the lack of follow-through from the Democratic party.
Monday, July 25 was a watershed moment for me. I met with the president of the United States in a small meeting with other leading African-American community activists and religious leaders. The efforts listed below will have a strong appeal to the "New Black Church" that is emerging in America.
This new black church has a disproportionate number of megachurches that are doing very meaningful work in their communities and around the world.
They long to see the evangelical social agenda expanded to include social justice, not simply to focus on it alone. President Bush's brilliant phrase "compassionate conservatism" still resonates in the hearts and minds of black leaders. In fact, many Texans believe that Mr. Bush actually picked up the mantra of the faith-based initiative from Dr. Tony Evans, a prominent black preacher from Dallas.
The focus of the meeting with Mr. Bush had five major emphases:
First, Medicare drug benefit: The president mentioned the Medicare drug prescription benefit which will help 42 million Americans. This kind of practical action sits well with concerned black leaders because their constituents are disproportionately affected by the inequities in the health care system. Recent polls have shown that the black community has become skeptical of the president's social security reform. I am convinced that part of this concern has been anchored in the fear of change and awareness that the health care is a pressing need for those at or above the poverty line.
Second, corporate funds for faith based groups: The president announced a White House summit which will be held in March of 2006 to discuss removing barriers which prevent faith-based organizations from receiving corporate and foundations funds. This summit has the potential of allowing the black community's most adept social entrepreneurs access to income streams that can multiply their effectiveness in the community.
Third, compassionate work in Africa: The president's ideas about Africa are very refreshing. In the past, blacks have had the distinct impression that any crisis in Europe had weight. Africa's dilemmas, however, was never deemed urgent enough to address. Mr. Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice are changing that perception in the following ways:
• The attack on malaria: The President has taken the lead with the G8 summit members to propose investment of $1.2 billion on a major malaria prevention and treatment program that should reduce malaria deaths by 50 percent over the next five years.
• The HIV/AIDS treatment in Africa: It was especially impressive that Ambassador Tobias was in the meeting. Two hundred and thirty thousand Africans are now receiving these anti-retroviral drugs. These folks are experiencing something called the "Lazarus effect." As the medicines begin to improve the quality of life of these infected persons, their family, friends and neighbors take the report of this medical "resurrection" to their community.
• The Sudan conflict: Miss Rice reported on her most recent trip to the Sudan. I was especially impressed with her genuine concern about the treatment of Sudanesewomen.Shealso mentioned the Chinese have been protective of the Sudanese in the U.N. Security Council meetings because of their dependence of various Africa states for raw materials and resources.
If President Bush continues to move with boldness into areas like these, he will attract greater and greater support for himself and the Republican party from the African-American community.

Bishop Harry Jackson is senior pastor of Hope Christian Church in College Park. He is also chairman of High-Impact Leadership Coalition, which drafted the Black Contract with America on Moral Values.[/i]

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 2 2005, 01:01 PM']there are a few guys like barrack
[right][post="140612"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

He definitely made a name for himself at the democratic convention. He appeared to be a great speaker and have the marks of a great leader, but personally I think it will be a while before he choses to make a run for president. I will have to look more into him, but on the surface he appears to be a great future leader.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 2 2005, 01:18 PM']He definitely made a name for himself at the democratic convention. He appeared to be a great speaker and have the marks of a great leader, but personally I think it will be a while before he choses to make a run for president. I will have to look more into him, but on the surface he appears to be a great future leader.
[right][post="140644"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i agree... like i said, i'm basing off of leadership skills and the "lack of" stepping in shit as many other democrats seem to be doing... hell, its scary to say, but as extreme as the left has seemed to go, hillary doesn't seem that bad anymore.. but i'd still vote for a chair before i would her... but still...

obama hasn't taken any shots at the current administration that weren't deserved imo... he seems like he knows what hes doing...

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='whodey319' date='Sep 2 2005, 01:36 PM']blacks are allowed to vote?
kidding.  Would be funnier if NESAdvantage/Agentorange/lovesgaybuttsexdude was still on here.
[right][post="140646"][/post][/right][/quote]

he probably is... look at the last week worth of new id's and you may find him :ninja:

[quote name='Stanley Wilson's Dealer' date='Sep 2 2005, 12:02 PM']I'd guess that this New Orleans situation is a PR disaster for the GOP with regards to cultivating favour amongst Black voters and minorities. Something, they've been trying hard to do since the last election.

Question for you guys though please, would it be fair to say that JC Watts is the highest profile Black Republican in the States?

I wonder if you see him in a more prominent role from now on, in the lead up to the next election. Not a candidate I don't think...but probably getting a lot of face time.
[right][post="140579"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Right now it's probably Condy Rice. JC is no longer in any office. Clarence Thomas is pretty high as well.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Sep 2 2005, 12:31 PM']Jason, here is an interesting article about the Republicans in the Senate and how they feel about people who look like me.
Any more questions!!!
[right][post="140600"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah, why does Robert Byrd not take any flack as a Democrat who is a former member of the KKK? The ONLY elected Senator who is a former KKK member. Why aren't there efforts to have him removed from office?

Not all racists are Republicans, and certainly not all Republicans are racist.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jason' date='Sep 2 2005, 01:49 PM']Yeah, why does Robert Byrd not take any flack as a Democrat who is a former member of the KKK?  The ONLY elected Senator who is a former KKK member.  Why aren't there efforts to have him removed from office?

Not all racists are Republicans, and certainly not all Republicans are racist.
[right][post="140651"][/post][/right][/quote]

simply... b/c hes a democrat...

there is no other reason that this could be so... smoov points out a racist remark by a senator and acts like all republican senator are in step w/ this person... but byrd actually was part of the klan, and he is praised, along w/ the democratic party in general...

i still don't know why the article that i posted is still being ignored by smoov... not sure why.... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jason' date='Sep 2 2005, 08:12 AM']This is an honest question.  I'm not trying to be a jerk or pick a fight.  For you here who are black Democrats, why?  What does the Democrat party do for you?

Thanks for honest and reasoned replies.
[right][post="140516"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I answer that question by asking what has the Republican Party done for black Americans? As a black man, and somebody for the most part who votes for democrats I think the answer is pretty obvious. At the very least, it seems like the Democrats actually make an effort to reach out to African-Americans. There is a sense of inclusiveness there, and alienation is felt from the GOP. I guess the irony is that back in the Civil Rights Movement era and before, the Democrats were notorious with their racism and hostility toward blacks. Like former Alabama Gov.George Wallace for example, trying to prevent the admission of black students to Alabama University. But times change, people change. Even George Wallace changed. In the 1980s he renounced his segregationist views, and he won his last term as governor (1983-87) with support from black voters. He also apologized in person to all the black students he tried to keep from entering the school before his death in 1998. So in a sense there has been a reconciliation between African-Americans and the Democratic party. As far as the Republican party is concerned.........most blacks that I know, do not like or trust them. If you look at the issues on most GOP agendas, it isn't very minority or "black" friendly. There is a sense in the black community that systematically the GOP is trying to overturn or abolish laws and programs set up during the Civil Rights Movement era. Like affirmative action, and more recently the Voting Rights Act.

[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8851310/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8851310/[/url]

The Republican party has made no serious attempt to reach out to or become receptive to African-American issues or concerns. Since George Bush has been in office he has yet to sit down and meet with the NAACP or the Congressional Black Caucus. Yes he has appointed a couple of blacks to high cabinet posts like Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell. But those two do not represent the majority of African-Americans or their opinions. In my opinion, the blacks that I have seen who are Republican party supporters are all affluent or at least "well-off" money wise. So the agenda of the GOP would not effect them. Most blacks in this country are not "well-off", hell Most blacks in this county are not even "middle-class" as far as money is concerned. And allot of the programs and laws the GOP is attempting to change would effect them. Now I am not saying the Democratic party is righteous and free from fault. Each party has their own level of bullshit on the agenda. But as far as why blacks support the Democratic party, its kinda like the saying " Either way you vote, your going to get a foot up your ass, so all your really deciding is who has the smallest shoe". And right now, according to most African-Americans in this country the GOP is wearing some Shaquille O'Neal, size 22, double wides.

because black people have been fucked over long enough to realise who is fucking them in the ass, unlike stupid hillbillies, rich fuckbags, and anyone else who votes republican...fuck you all...

ps: why is bush playing golf when we are "at war" in iraq and having national catastrophies(sp?) here as well... glad his priorities are straight..

i hope he gets picked off by a sniper on the 10th green.

By the end of the 19th century all railway cars in the Southern states were segregated. In 1896 Homer Plessey decided to test the constitutionality of what became known as Jim Crow laws. Plessey, who was seventh-eighths white, sat in white only railroad car in Louisiana. When he told the conductor he was an African American, he was asked to move to a black only railroad car. When he refused he was arrested and was later found guilty of breaking Louisiana's segregation laws.

Plessey appealed to the the Supreme Court but William Billings Brown was rightly convicted in Louisiana for riding in a white only railway car. In doing so he established the legality of segregation as long as facilities were kept "separate but equal" and helped to sustain Jim Crow laws. Only one of the justices, [color="blue"]John Harlan[/color], disagreed with this decision.

[color="blue"]John Harlan[/color]

John Harlan was born in Boyle County, Kentucky, on 1st June, 1833. He worked as a lawyer and county judge before joining the Union Army during the American Civil War. Harlan commanded an infantry regiment but was critical of Abraham Lincoln and objected to the Emancipation Proclamation.

After the war Harlan attacked the Thirteenth Amendment which abolished slavery. However, after the emergence of racist organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan he changed his mind and became a supporter of the Radical Republicans and the Reconstruction Acts.

In 1877 President Rutherhood Hayes appointed Harlan as a member of the Supreme Court. Over the next few years Harlan showed he was a strong supporter of African-American civil rights. In 1883 he dissented from the majority view that Congress could not punish discrimination against African Americans by private persons. As a member of the Supreme Court Harlan was a consistent supporter of the Thirteenth Amendment and Fourteenth Amendment. and warned that African Americans were in danger of being consigned to a "permanent condition of legal inferiority." In 1896 he was the only member of the Supreme Court who believed that segregation in railway cars was unconstitutional.

After decades of Democratic Presidents reluctancy to act:
In 1964, President, Lyndon Baines Johnson, managed to persuade Congress to pass the Civil Rights Act. This made racial discrimination in public places, such as theaters, restaurants and hotels, illegal. It also required employers to provide equal employment opportunities. Projects involving federal funds could now be cut off if there was evidence of discriminated based on colour, race or national origin.

Go,
Your public education is showing. :D

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 3 2005, 10:45 AM']I answer that question by asking what has the Republican Party done for black Americans? As a black man, and somebody for the most part who votes for democrats I think the answer is pretty obvious. At the very least, it seems like the Democrats actually make an effort to reach out to African-Americans. There is a sense of inclusiveness there, and alienation is felt from the GOP. I guess the irony is that back in the Civil Rights Movement era and before, the Democrats were notorious with their racism and hostility toward blacks. Like former Alabama Gov.George Wallace for example, trying to prevent the admission of black students to Alabama University. But times change, people change. Even George Wallace changed. In the 1980s he renounced his segregationist views, and he won his last term as governor (1983-87) with support from black voters. He also apologized in person to all the black students he tried to keep from entering the school before his death in 1998. So in a sense there has been a reconciliation between African-Americans and the Democratic party. As far as the Republican party is concerned.........most blacks that I know, do not like or trust them. If you look at the issues on most GOP agendas, it isn't very minority or "black" friendly. There is a sense in the black community that systematically  the GOP is trying to overturn or abolish laws and programs set up during the Civil Rights Movement era. Like affirmative action, and more recently the Voting Rights Act.

[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8851310/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8851310/[/url]

The Republican party has made no serious attempt to reach out to or become receptive to African-American issues or concerns. Since George Bush has been in office he has yet to sit down and meet with the NAACP or  the Congressional Black Caucus. Yes he has appointed a couple of blacks to high cabinet posts like Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell. But those two do not represent the majority of African-Americans or their opinions. In my opinion, the blacks that I have seen who are Republican party supporters are all affluent or at least "well-off" money wise. So the agenda of the GOP would not effect them. Most blacks in this country are not "well-off", hell Most blacks in this county are not even "middle-class" as far as money is concerned.  And allot of the programs and laws the GOP is attempting to change would effect them. Now I am not saying the Democratic party is righteous and free from fault. Each party has their own level of bullshit on the agenda. But as far as why blacks support the Democratic party, its kinda like the saying " Either way you vote, your going to get a foot up your ass, so all your really deciding is who has the smallest shoe". And right now, according to most African-Americans in this country the GOP is wearing some Shaquille O'Neal, size 22, double wides.
[right][post="141442"][/post][/right][/quote]

good post... but i think you are missing a full point... the republicans are trying to reach out, but its in a different way than the democrats are... read the article i posted above to see exactly what i'm saying...

you have to look at it this way... in a democracy, your voice in gov't in vital... when 90% of a race votes one way consistantly, that explains why blacks feel they are getting fucked from both sides... you just said that most blacks don't trust and/or like republicans, politically... the democrats are going to get your vote one way or another, as long as they talk the talk... they don't have to walk the walk though, b/c 90% of african americans will vote their way reguardless of it either way...

my point is the key to the future of african americans is EDUCATIONS, not welfare, affirmative action, and other programs that do nothing more than act as handouts... if more and more african americans started opening up, putting past judgements of rep's aside, and started giving democrats a ride for their money, both parties would be fighting for your vote... right now, the republicans are attempting to reach out in a different way than democrats, but are being ignored b/c the democrats have had the black vote for so long, and always talk about helping the lower class, while they do anything but that...

if something has not worked for 20 years, i think it should be time to explore other avenues...

good post though sneaky... i can at least see yours and smoovs point of view better... bush hasn't visited directly w/ the black caucus or naacp, but those particular groups are extremely critical of his policies, and they have bad mouthed him to no end...

here are some examples of that:

[url="http://"]click here[/url]

[i]"This Bush nominee has such an atrocious civil rights record that Clarence Thomas would look like Thurgood Marshall in comparison," said Rep. Diane Watson, California Democrat and member of the CBC. Justice Marshall was the high court's first black justice and a civil rights icon. [/i]

[i]The Congressional Black Caucus yesterday voiced intense opposition to President Bush's nominee to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, calling the black California Supreme Court justice a "female Clarence Thomas" who is "hostile to civil rights."[/i]

[url="http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/07/0154218"]click here[/url]
[i]
But while Congressional certification is usually routine and uneventful, this year, Black Caucus members walked out of the chamber in protest after attempting to block the counting of Florida's 25 contested electoral votes.[/i]

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/12/naacp.bush/"]click here[/url]

[i]During his keynote speech at the group's 95th annual convention Sunday night in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Bond also assailed the Bush administration and the Republican Party, accusing the GOP of "playing the race card in election after election."[/i] :blink:

actually bush did meet w/ the [url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142256,00.html"]naacp[/url] as decribed here:

[i]"It was a very frank and a very open dialogue," NAACP President Kweisi Mfume (search) told reporters afterward. "We both have real differences."[/i]

[i]Bush has generally avoided sit-downs with other established black civil rights groups as well, for instance meeting only rarely with the Congressional Black Caucus. But he has reached out to carefully chosen minority audiences and to civil rights advocates less critical of his policies such as the National Urban League.[/i]

[i]As for Bush's previous snubs of the group, Mfume said he partly understood the president's explanation.

"He was concerned not so much about any potential humiliation of himself, but protecting the office of the presidency from any sort of humiliation that might have occurred," he said. "I think he does have some validity in the fact that protecting the presidency from public humiliation, whether it's he or someone else, as president, is important."[/i]

i want this point to be understood most out of this post... education is the key to making the african americans prosper more... its almost that simple...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:13 PM']good post... but i think you are missing a full point... the republicans are trying to reach out, but its in a different way than the democrats are... read the article i posted above to see exactly what i'm saying...

you have to look at it this way... in a democracy, your voice in gov't in vital... when 90% of a race votes one way consistantly, that explains why blacks feel they are getting fucked from both sides... you just said that most blacks don't trust and/or like republicans, politically... the democrats are going to get your vote one way or another, as long as they talk the talk... they don't have to walk the walk though, b/c 90% of african americans will vote their way reguardless of it either way...

my point is, the democrat's way doesn't seem to be working... if more and more african americans started opening up, putting past judgements of rep's aside, and started giving democrats a ride for their money, both parties would be fighting for your vote... right now, the republicans are attempting to reach out in a different way than democrats, but are being ignored b/c the democrats have had the black vote for so long, and always talk about helping the lower class, while they do anything but that...

if something has not worked for 20 years, i think it should be time to explore other avenues...

good post though sneaky... i can at least see yours and smoovs point of view better... bush hasn't visited directly w/ the black caucus or naacp, but those particular groups are extremely critical of his policies, and they have bad mouthed him to no end...

here are some examples of that:

[url="http://"]click here[/url]

[i]"This Bush nominee has such an atrocious civil rights record that Clarence Thomas would look like Thurgood Marshall in comparison," said Rep. Diane Watson, California Democrat and member of the CBC. Justice Marshall was the high court's first black justice and a civil rights icon. [/i]

[i]The Congressional Black Caucus yesterday voiced intense opposition to President Bush's nominee to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, calling the black California Supreme Court justice a "female Clarence Thomas" who is "hostile to civil rights."[/i]
[right][post="141515"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] The Republicans are trying to reach out?

As far as Bush not meeting with the The Congressional Black Caucus because they have "bad mouthed" him is ridiculous. As the leader of the "Free World" Mr. Bush is going to have to learn to handle some criticism and grow some thick skin.The President has an obligation for all Americans and he could at least sit down and hear them even though he totally disagrees with them. Maybe some healthy dialogue could start. Instead, the President ignores them and turns down all their invitations to meet. That tells them, "Fuck You", so that just fuels their fire and more and more "bad mouthing" continues. And by the way, what is your definition of "bad mouthing"? I don't see any quotes of any members of the Black Caucus or NAACP calling him names or talking about his mother. Now that would be "bad mouthing". They are just calling it as they see it. The truth hurts. If Bush thinks they have him pegged all wrong, he should act like a real leader, meet with them and explain himself. At least he can say he tried, but thats the problem.....he isn't trying. He is the leader of the Republican party and he refuses to meet with the most respected orginizations within the black community. And yet you say that the Republicans are "trying to reach out"? This is very simple BengalRick, if you care about something or a cause or people for that matter you do something about it. Bush doesn't even want to talk to black leaders. So the implication that he doesn't care is born. If the GOP is serious about extending their hand to blacks, it has to start at the top. Democrats may just "talk to talk" but the Republicans refuse to open their mouths.

[quote name='Lawman' date='Sep 3 2005, 11:54 AM']By the end of the 19th century all railway cars in the Southern states were segregated. In 1896 Homer Plessey decided to test the constitutionality of what became known as Jim Crow laws. Plessey, who was seventh-eighths white, sat in white only railroad car in Louisiana. When he told the conductor he was an African American, he was asked to move to a black only railroad car. When he refused he was arrested and was later found guilty of breaking Louisiana's segregation laws.

Plessey appealed to the the Supreme Court but William Billings Brown was rightly convicted in Louisiana for riding in a white only railway car. In doing so he established the legality of segregation as long as facilities were kept "separate but equal" and helped to sustain Jim Crow laws. Only one of the justices, [color="blue"]John Harlan[/color], disagreed with this decision.

[color="blue"]John Harlan[/color]

John Harlan was born in Boyle County, Kentucky, on 1st June, 1833. He worked as a lawyer and county judge before joining the Union Army during the American Civil War. Harlan commanded an infantry regiment but was critical of Abraham Lincoln and objected to the Emancipation Proclamation.

After the war Harlan attacked the Thirteenth Amendment which abolished slavery. However, after the emergence of racist organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan he changed his mind and became a supporter of the Radical Republicans and the Reconstruction Acts.

In 1877 President Rutherhood Hayes appointed Harlan as a member of the Supreme Court. Over the next few years Harlan showed he was a strong supporter of African-American civil rights. In 1883 he dissented from the majority view that Congress could not punish discrimination against African Americans by private persons. As a member of the Supreme Court Harlan was a consistent supporter of the Thirteenth Amendment and Fourteenth Amendment. and warned that African Americans were in danger of being consigned to a "permanent condition of legal inferiority." In 1896 he was the only member of the Supreme Court who believed that segregation in railway cars was unconstitutional.

After decades of Democratic Presidents reluctancy to act:
In 1964, President, Lyndon Baines Johnson, managed to persuade Congress to pass the Civil Rights Act. This made racial discrimination in public places, such as theaters, restaurants and hotels, illegal. It also required employers to provide equal employment opportunities. Projects involving federal funds could now be cut off if there was evidence of discriminated based on colour, race or national origin.

Go,
Your public education is showing.  :D
[right][post="141496"][/post][/right][/quote]

[color="red"][color="red"]Thank you, your post was very informative and enlightening from a historical perspective, however it has no relevance to the "here and now". Nor does it answer or shed any light on the topic question at hand. At the very least it does show your ability to web browse and use the "copy" and "paste" options. Which is very good if I must say. Did you learn that at a private school?[/color].[/color]

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:42 PM'] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] The Republicans are trying to reach out?

As far as Bush not meeting with the The Congressional Black Caucus because they have "bad mouthed" him is ridiculous. As the leader of the "Free World" Mr. Bush is going to have to learn to handle some criticism and grow some thick skin.The President has an obligation for all Americans and he could at least sit down and hear them even though he totally disagrees with them. Maybe some healthy dialogue could start. Instead, the President ignores them and turns down all their invitations to meet. That tells them, "Fuck You", so that just fuels their fire and more and more "bad mouthing" continues. And by the way, what is your definition of "bad mouthing"? I don't see any quotes of any members of the Black Caucus or NAACP calling him names or talking about his mother. Now that would be "bad mouthing". They are just calling it as they see it.  The truth hurts. If Bush thinks they have him pegged all wrong, he should act like a real leader, meet with them and explain himself. At least he can say he tried, but thats the problem.....he isn't trying. He is the leader of the Republican party and he refuses to meet with the most respected orginizations within the black community. And yet you say that the Republicans are "trying to reach out"? This is very simple BengalRick, if you care about something or a cause or people for that matter you do something about it. Bush doesn't even want to talk to black leaders. So the implication that he doesn't care is born. If the GOP is serious about extending their hand to blacks, it has to start at the top. Democrats may just "talk to talk" but the Republicans refuse to open their mouths.
[right][post="141527"][/post][/right][/quote]

the republicans ARE trying to reach out... sorry you don't see that... i said it is in a different way than what democrats are... republicans don't believe in hand outs or basing laws b/c of someones skin color... making laws that involve ones skin color IS RACISM... flip the card around and replace the word black w/ white, and then tell me that basing laws on race isn't racist...

he HAS met w/ both the black caucus and the naacp, as i showed above... i agree that his outreach to the naacp and black caucus isn't very good...

republicans also talk the talk, but since blacks see things like getting jobs based on skin color, they refuse to listen to other sides of the issue... thanks for really listening to my side, btw, and making some honest strides to meet in the middle and try to truely figure out the problems :unsure:

how can republicans start talking the talk sneaky... do we have to start making race based laws?? don't you agree that those laws HURT the cause, and education HELPS the cause?? education is the key to everything, and that is a big cause of whats wrong w/ america... the only handouts that i would totally agree w/, is free education for the lower class... that is something that would help everyone else out...

you act like republicans want to hold down the blacks... you do realize that anyone that is pro-business, is also wanting to make everyone get more money... the more people w/ money, the stronger the american economy machine is...

until people like you decide to stop blaming others instead of fixing problems, we're all screwed... it helps absolutely nobody to have people on welfare and in the lower class... we are not "holding you down"... i could easily make the arguement that your prominent black leaders are holding you down, by shifting blame to others (mostly rep's) instead of blaming theirselves for not being good leaders and pulling themselves up by their bootstraps...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 3 2005, 12:55 PM']the republicans ARE trying to reach out... sorry you don't see that... i said it is in a different way than what democrats are... republicans don't believe in hand outs or basing laws b/c of someones skin color... making laws that involve ones skin color IS RACISM... flip the card around and replace the word black w/ white, and then tell me that basing laws on race isn't racist...

he HAS met w/ both the black caucus and the naacp, as i showed above... i agree that his outreach to the naacp and black caucus isn't very good...

republicans also talk the talk, but since blacks see things like getting jobs based on skin color, they refuse to listen to other sides of the issue... thanks for really listening to my side, btw, and making some honest strides to meet in the middle and try to truely figure out the problems :unsure:

how can republicans start talking the talk sneaky... do we have to start making race based laws?? don't you agree that those laws HURT the cause, and education HELPS the cause?? education is the key to everything, and that is a big cause of whats wrong w/ america... the only handouts that i would totally agree w/, is free education for the lower class... that is something that would help everyone else out...

you act like republicans want to hold down the blacks... you do realize that anyone that is pro-business, is also wanting to make everyone get more money... the more people w/ money, the stronger the american economy machine is...

until people like you decide to stop blaming others instead of fixing problems, we're all screwed... it helps absolutely nobody to have people on welfare and in the lower class... we are not "holding you down"... i could easily make the arguement that your prominent black leaders are holding you down, by shifting blame to others (mostly rep's) instead of blaming theirselves for not being good leaders and pulling themselves up by their bootstraps...
[right][post="141533"][/post][/right][/quote]

First off your assumptions are racist by nature. You say "republicans don't believe in hand outs", the implication is, that blacks seek "hand outs" and it also implies that black people are lazy. Your reference to the "lower class" is also fucked up. You also say "making laws that involve ones skin color IS RACISM.." the problem I see with most republicans are people who feel this way doesn't understand the origin of these laws or programs. Yes you are correct...making laws that involve ones skin color IS RACISM... this was the case in America from about 1700 to 1964 give or take a year. You have to look at this issue from the beginning. An entire race of people were persecuted and oppressed economically, culturally, and educationally for nearly 300 years. When that happens, it is going to have social, educational, and economical ramifications from generation to generation. These programs were started to give give minorities a jump start or boost if you will to get them to an equal level playing field. These programs are not perfect but for the most part they have been effective. Blacks have made progress socially, economically, and in education since the Civil Rights Movement era in the 60's. But to imply that blacks have reached the "equal playing level" and no "glass ceilings" exist anymore is absurd.
The thing that disturbs me the most with Republicans is their naive or obnoxious assertions that if you are poor it is because you are not educated. How many unemployed or laid-off people with college degrees or certified skills do you know? I know a lot. They are both black and white? Is their knowledge paying the bills right now? No. The GOP constant blanket answer is "education", and that education is the "only" key to the progression of the black people is also absurd. Theres a lot of educated white people out here struggling to make it, what makes you think black people wont still struggle as well. Don't get me wrong I am not dismissing the importance of education to minorities, but to say it is the "begin all and end all" and the "root" of the problem is silly. The problem is much deeper than that. Once again the implication is there that if a black person is poor it is because he or she is uneducated. I have a degree, I was poor for over a year when I got laid off. Was I not educated enough? How much education are we talking about here? Do all black people need doctorates and PHD's to make it in America? I guess the thing that bothers me the most about the GOP and their view on race relations is that it is purely disingenuous. George Bush and most Republicans couldn't give a rat's ass about the plight or struggles of black people. (See hurricane Katrina)Its not like its high on the GOP
" to do" list. As if the list read,...."1) Give tax break for the wealthy.2) Start a war with Iraq. 3) Help black people..." I believe the driving force behind changing these laws is not for the best interest of black people or Americans in general, but the fear or anger that one day some white person somewhere may not get a job or scholarship because God forbid a ....black person got it, because there was a law or program that helped him or her get it. Oh NO!!!! :o We wouldn't want that now would we? You are absolutely right, making laws that involve ones skin color IS RACISM..and it is a shame because of the past that it is like this. But until every American is truly on a equal playing field and racism in this country has all but dissapered, I suggest you do what generations of blacks had to do in this country......deal with it. The good news is, that it wont hurt nearly as much for you as it did them. ;)

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 3 2005, 01:51 PM'][color="red"][color="red"]Thank you, your post was very informative and enlightening from a historical perspective, however it has no relevance to the "here and now". Nor does it answer or shed any light on the topic question at hand. At the very least it does show your ability to web browse and use the "copy" and "paste" options. Which is very good if I must say. Did you learn that at a private school?[/color].[/color]
[right][post="141530"][/post][/right][/quote]
To answer the last question first : No, Cincinnati Public School system; oldest child to a single parent (mother) of five on Welfare. Started first job at 16 making $1.50 hour in a butcher shop and have been working since.

Now, to answer the relevance of my post; also see Dred Scott.
In essence, the Republican Party prior to the Civil War were pushing for the Freedom and Civil Rights of African-americans only to be strongly opposed by the Democratic Party, see Robert C. Byrd, Senator (Dem) from West Virginia. <_<
Democratic presidents from Rooselvet, Franklin D to John F. Kennedy kept the Civil Rights issues on the back burner. JFK wanted to bring the issue to the forefront (as did Truman), probably with his brother Robert as the catalyst. Both of their assinations cut short in their efforts come to fruitation. Now, Lyndon B. Johnson (the engineer of the 1957 Civil Right Acts) acting as President signed into Law on July 26, 1964 Civil Rights Bill; after alot of lobbying and placating of his fellow southerners (Democrats).

IMO, by the actions of LBJ (signing the Civil Rights Bill), that African-americans blindly believe they have a covenant with the democratic party, when it had been the Republican party that has tried since the outset of the civil war in providing their Freedom and Civil rights. See the revelance.

As for your condenscending cut and past remarks :fing06:

Archived