Happy Birthday, Sam

Today is Sam Wyche's birthday. January 5th.

I always make a point to remember people on the anniversary of their birth rather than the random date upon which they were taken from us. We are made better when important people enter our lives, and are diminished when they depart. Let's choose to celebrate the former.

Happy birthday, Coach.

img_1_1641389232017.jpg

My all-time favorite Bengal anyone. 

Will never forget the one and only time meeting him. It was at an annual event in Columbus at the Athletic Club called the Touchdown Club. Stars (and unknown future stars) were honored for what they had accomplished the previous year. Attendees were placed at dinner tables along with one or more honorees. 

Sam was being honored for his first (and only) semi-successful season at Indiana. I was placed at his table, and seated next to him. I knew of him, naturally, from his Bengal QB days. I didn’t know at that time, he was being considered for the HC position in Cincinnati.

In any event, it was a joy to sit and chat with him during dinner. Not everything was football related. He particularly liked talking about golf courses—he, as I am, evidently was an avid golfer. Obtained the customary autographed program—which I still have—and finished enjoying a memorable time. 

A truly wonderful coach, and man. 

(And, I just re-found that sweater from all those years ago)

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

My all-time favorite Bengal anyone. 

Will never forget the one and only time meeting him. It was at an annual event in Columbus at the Athletic Club called the Touchdown Club. Stars (and unknown future stars) were honored for what they had accomplished the previous year. Attendees were placed at dinner tables along with one or more honorees. 

Sam was being honored for his first (and only) semi-successful season at Indiana. I was placed at his table, and seated next to him. I knew of him, naturally, from his Bengal QB days. I didn’t know at that time, he was being considered for the HC position in Cincinnati.

In any event, it was a joy to sit and chat with him during dinner. Not everything was football related. He particularly liked talking about golf courses—he, as I am, evidently was an avid golfer. Obtained the customary autographed program—which I still have—and finished enjoying a memorable time. 

A truly wonderful coach, and man. 

(And, I just re-found that sweater from all those years ago)

I show my kids any interview I can with him - he was so witty and funny. You could pull up almost any interview and you will laugh.

Then of course, you find out he would go to homeless shelters, ask the players to save their scraps so he could help feed hungry people. I liked Marvin, and Zac is growing on me fast, but there will never be another Sam.

10 minutes ago, Cat said:

I show my kids any interview I can with him - he was so witty and funny. You could pull up almost any interview and you will laugh.

Then of course, you find out he would go to homeless shelters, ask the players to save their scraps so he could help feed hungry people. I liked Marvin, and Zac is growing on me fast, but there will never be another Sam.

Sam was more than a coach and wasn't afraid to let you see it.  Not sure he could have survived that way in the days of social media. 

It was sad that the whole "women in the lockerroom" thing really led to his downfall as Bengals coach. 

Archived