2023 Bengals Captains announced

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He'd been good up until last year when he was near bottom of the league in YPC, then his name started popping up with "guns" and "police" over the offseason so.. IDK.  Maybe he bounces back this year but NFL RBs tend to burn out pretty hard.  Apparently naming key players with bad PR as captains is just what teams do these days though.

The players are the ones that name the captains, not the front office or coaches. Players care little about bad PR, they have genuine relationships that go further than a media narrative or bs lawsuits. Mixon is well respected by guys not only on our team but also by other guys around the league, he's a reason why Orlando Brown Jr, a former college teammate, chose to come to Cincy.

From the outside looking in it might seem strange, but we all have friends that others might not like or we might be that friend....either way it's not like Mixon hasn't been a captain for years and a bs lawsuit that was dismissed and his crazy brother in law isn't going to change that. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

The players are the ones that name the captains, not the front office or coaches. Players care little about bad PR, they have genuine relationships that go further than a media narrative or bs lawsuits. Mixon is well respected by guys not only on our team but also by other guys around the league, he's a reason why Orlando Brown Jr, a former college teammate, chose to come to Cincy.

From the outside looking in it might seem strange, but we all have friends that others might not like or we might be that friend....either way it's not like Mixon hasn't been a captain for years and a bs lawsuit that was dismissed and his crazy brother in law isn't going to change that. 

Where are you getting that about Brown? He had lots of good reasons to play here but I hadn't seen that mentioned at all, let alone as a deciding factor.

For me it's not the legal stuff so much as that he was objectively well below average at his position last year. That's typically not the case for a TC on a team loaded with outstanding vets.

Hey, maybe it motivates him to start blocking for his other team captain.

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Where are you getting that about Brown? He had lots of good reasons to play here but I hadn't seen that mentioned at all, let alone as a deciding factor.

For me it's not the legal stuff so much as that he was objectively well below average at his position last year. That's typically not the case for a TC on a team loaded with outstanding vets.

Hey, maybe it motivates him to start blocking for his other team captain.

He said it on this podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bengals-ot-orlando-brown-jr-on-cincinnatis-offensive/id1585204338?i=1000625995765

He and Mixon were teammates in college, remained friends, and openly talked about playing together for years. Same reason why Cody Ford signed here, these guys are like family as they grew up together in college. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

He said it on this podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bengals-ot-orlando-brown-jr-on-cincinnatis-offensive/id1585204338?i=1000625995765

He and Mixon were teammates in college, remained friends, and openly talked about playing together for years. Same reason why Cody Ford signed here, these guys are like family as they grew up together in college. 

That's pretty cool.  Again can only hope it motivates him to play like one.

If it matters, the players vote for captains but the coaches count the votes and announce the chosen ones. Not sure if they decide in advance how many captains there will be or what they do if the top 10 vote-getters are all on one side of the ball. Sometimes NFL and college coaches have been known to put their thumb on the scale and veto someone or make a rookie QB a captain. 

• Upvote 2