The offense got creative, but now it gets even harder.

It was clear much of the success, even though it mostly stalled out, from Monday was due to the creative ways of moving the WR's pre snap and the post snap direction fakes, etc.

The problem is, now all of that is on film, the next DE wont fall for the fake pitch roll out, he is coming for joe, they next defense has film of the pre snap motion and what it turned into post snap, so where you would think "cool, now we can build on that" its almost the opposite, thats almost all trash now, until joe is healthy and we can run full speed playbook wide open gameplans, we are stuck making tweaks weekly to try to "trick" the defense and get some open shots at guys at LEAST mid range. 

This is a pretty big test for Zac, Brian and Joe. Honestly I was impressed with as much creative movement as they were able to do in 8 days time. Obviously its all window dressing on the base playbook, like if chase is wide left on a play, they last night put him in the back field and then put him in motion in hopes of a clot, LB or safety having to go cover him outside vs the set CB who would be out there since he was in the backfield.

so its kind of easy, figuratively speaking, to make these changes, because 1-2 people have a slightly changed role, and the play itself is the same for everyone post snap. just a formation or motion alteration to try to gain and advantage. 

this is easily the biggest chess match the bengals players and staff have had to play since coming together. 

I am almost excited to see what they come up with with time. I am assuming, for no real reason, that this is going to be the process until after the bye hoping joe is close to 100% at that point if there are no setbacks. 

• Upvote 1

It would not have looked as bad as it did if Tee made his catches and if Hudson didn't fall down on his.

That gets fixed, and we start putting up points soon.

I would like to see us do some of what the Rams did and start finding the soft spots in coverage. 

The D was great Monday, but there were times where Stafford was able to just pick it apart. I'd like to see us implement some of that. Especially over the middle. Force the safeties to stop playing 2 high and eventually when Joe's calve allows him to plant, the big plays will start to return.

• Upvote 1

I think you’re giving the offense way too much credit. There actually wasn’t much creativity per say, as there was moving JaMarr around to all 3 WR positions throughout the game. That’s literally all they did. He ran the routes a slot guy typically would. There were no other additions to the offense that I saw. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IKOTA said:

I think you’re giving the offense way too much credit. There actually wasn’t much creativity per say, as there was moving JaMarr around to all 3 WR positions throughout the game. That’s literally all they did. He ran the routes a slot guy typically would. There were no other additions to the offense that I saw. 

Throw the short passes to Chase and let him get yac yrds.

Dink and dunk to wear out Titan defense..

Run Mixon s legs off.

Defense stays strong.

Bengals win this imo.

22 hours ago, GoBengals said:

The problem is, now all of that is on film, the next DE wont fall for the fake pitch roll out, he is coming for joe, they next defense has film of the pre snap motion and what it turned into post snap, so where you would think "cool, now we can build on that" its almost the opposite, thats almost all trash now

The limitations remain but there are ways to build on what they've shown. Next time that fake pitch bootleg isn't and we do pitch it or some kind of option/screen if the DE wants to overcommit.

So yeah it's on tape now but the good guys have also run that play successfully & the playbook expands accordingly, maybe it's not that fake pitch at all but still the same set, motion, & personnel. 

They sound pretty confident in how they're pacing the season & willingness to eat a couple L's for the sake of a healthy roster. Time will tell if that was the right call but we do know the offense will catch fire if JB stays on the field.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The limitations remain but there are ways to build on what they've shown. Next time that fake pitch bootleg isn't and we do pitch it or some kind of option/screw  if the DE wants to overcommit.

So yeah it's on tape now but the good guys have also run that play successfully & the playbook expands accordingly, maybe it's not that fake pitch at all but still the same set, motion, & personnel. 

They sound pretty confident in how they're pacing the season & willingness to eat a couple L's for the sake of a healthy roster. Time will tell if that was the right call but we do know the offense will catch fire if JB stays on the field.

Absolutely.

With Burrow we win.....most times

Without him we don't. . most allways

Simple equations..😎

Mixon had 65 yards and it felt way better than average somehow. He ran hard when we needed it, and I think it made a big difference, but we're still so predictable in the run game.  Maybe I'm just not noticing it, but do we ever have guys five wide, in motion, or in bunch formations on run plays? 

12 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

It would not have looked as bad as it did if Tee made his catches and if Hudson didn't fall down on his.

That gets fixed, and we start putting up points soon.

I would like to see us do some of what the Rams did and start finding the soft spots in coverage. 

The D was great Monday, but there were times where Stafford was able to just pick it apart. I'd like to see us implement some of that. Especially over the middle. Force the safeties to stop playing 2 high and eventually when Joe's calve allows him to plant, the big plays will start to return.

thats a good point, with tee, but still.  as far as soft spots in the coverage, there are less, because they could crack our line with donald so they could drop more. where we brought safeties, corners, etc a little more often it seemed. cant argue with the defense being tits.

11 hours ago, IKOTA said:

thats absolutely not all they did.  Jamarr lined up as a second running back in the shotgun, from that position he ran a parallel screen, on 1-2 plays, he went in motion from there to various spots for normal route getting matchups they wanted, including having him in motion at the snap so he wasnt even in a set spot at the snap. atleast 10 snaps involved motion or formation changes that we have never shown before. 

THEN, add in the RPO when he hit chase on the really short pass immediately, in total there were probably 15 snaps that were quite unique in terms of what we normally run in this offense and what we ran the first two weeks.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

The limitations remain but there are ways to build on what they've shown. Next time that fake pitch bootleg isn't and we do pitch it or some kind of option/screen if the DE wants to overcommit.

thats true, with anything, if youre defending something, you saw it, but you also have to second guess how much you can commit, did they change it so it looks the same but is in fact altered. that cat and mouse is there regardless of having to make changes. joe and zac definitely sounded care free in their conferences today.

7 hours ago, A Rock said:

Mixon had 65 yards and it felt way better than average somehow. He ran hard when we needed it, and I think it made a big difference, but we're still so predictable in the run game.  Maybe I'm just not noticing it, but do we ever have guys five wide, in motion, or in bunch formations on run plays? 

65 is the new 100 it feels like 65 a game will get you 1100 rushing yards on the season. i think mixon is 13th in RB rushing yards this season currently on the average games he has had he is about average, 2 guys averaging 100 per game, mcaffery, and swift. then it drops under 90 ypg.