HULU + Live or YouTube TV + Live?

MOC

Jamie, seeing games in Columbus depends on the local stations preferences. It's got better in the Burrow years, but you could count on the CBS affiliate here showing Clowns and Squealers over the Bengals most of the time? Being a season ticket holder, I'm at most of the home games, so it doesn't affect me that much anyway. 

I kind of had my decision made for me this morning though. Apparently since I "opened" a trial membership with YTTV over a year ago and didn't go with them at the time (I'm old and wasn't yet comfortable with cutting cable) they don't consider me a "new" user and won't give me the first 3 month reduced rate they are offering "new" users? It's $20 off for the first three months which would make it $52.99 for that time period and then crank up to $72.99. 

Think I'm going to try HULU which is $76.99 and they have a couple more channels that I watch that YT currently doesn't offer. Really have nothing to lose since I can cancel anytime, or at least that's what it says on their website? Either of you had any experience with that?

• 5 months later...

hows the hulu been?

I am stuck in a cycle of hell with needing youtube TV for nfl sunday ticket, and needing directv stream for nuggets games, so from october to january i need them both, then i can cancel YTTV until next september, and i can cancel Directv stream from april to october, so i oddly dont need any of them from april to september, and need both from october to january, then only need DTTVS from january to april.

1-2 more years until the NBA fixes its shit tv deal mess and i wont need directv nymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 6:45 PM, GoBengals said:

hows the hulu been?

I am stuck in a cycle of hell with needing youtube TV for nfl sunday ticket, and needing directv stream for nuggets games, so from october to january i need them both, then i can cancel YTTV until next september, and i can cancel Directv stream from april to october, so i oddly dont need any of them from april to september, and need both from october to january, then only need DTTVS from january to april.

1-2 more years until the NBA fixes its shit tv deal mess and i wont need directv nymore.

Hulu's been good, although I don't really have anything to compare it to at this point. No complaints though. With the Hulu+ I also get Disney+ and ESPN+ at no extra charge, still working my way through all the Disney Classics from when I was young and/or my kids growing up. Also like the Hulu "library", binge watching Cheers and then jumping to Don't Shoot Me and then My Name Is Earl. Will probably be choosing some other classic comedies down the road, hoping they get Taxi soon. The only thing I haven't liked about streaming, at this point, is the endless repetition of the same commercials and you can't fast forward through them, even when watching something recorded. I guess I could pay a little more, but I'll do with this minor irritation for now. 

On 4/15/2024 at 11:47 AM, MOC said:

Hulu's been good, although I don't really have anything to compare it to at this point. No complaints though. With the Hulu+ I also get Disney+ and ESPN+ at no extra charge, still working my way through all the Disney Classics from when I was young and/or my kids growing up. Also like the Hulu "library", binge watching Cheers and then jumping to Don't Shoot Me and then My Name Is Earl. Will probably be choosing some other classic comedies down the road, hoping they get Taxi soon. The only thing I haven't liked about streaming, at this point, is the endless repetition of the same commercials and you can't fast forward through them, even when watching something recorded. I guess I could pay a little more, but I'll do with this minor irritation for now. 

yea im so grumpy i pay the little extra to skip the commercials, they almost seem worse placed than regular commercial breaks, its not quite like they interupt a sentence in a show for the ad but sometimes it feels like it, same with youtube, pay for the premium to not have ads. youre paying with your time or with your wallet, either way your paying.

I am glad hulu is a solid product, they were all so sketchy 3-4 years ago, but most seems good now. I onder if we ever get to an a la carte style or if everything keeps bundling to mimic the cable packages we escaped to begin with.

sounds like the sports leagues realized they were CARRYING some cable network packages and can get a GIANT increase in cut revenue per customer to the pennies they got for cable packages. which im all for it. MLB.tv is like $100/year for reds, like a dollar a game. NBA is $15/mo, so about a dollar a game, NFL is like $20/game, but whose not gonna pay it? so few games so important each, people can miss a month of baseball and be fine, missing a week of NBA games and be fine.. missing a weekly football game can change a season..

• Like 1