Bidenomics

Jamie_B

• 3 months later...

To be clear there are absolutely things I do not like.

Investment groups should not be allowed to buy homes, that is a HUGE part of the problem with the cost of housing, not to mention we need to be building more houses to drive prices down.

It has been shown that 50% if the inflation numbers are coming from what is basically "greedflation" or corporations price gouging, Biden has done nothing to address that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 6:21 PM, Jamie_B said:

This has been a problem before Biden but he hasn't done anything to address it.

I finally had a chance to watch this and I found it interesting. This is right in my wheelhouse as I’m an escrow officer for a title company. 

I don’t see a whole lot of institutional investor transactions, but that is mainly because they have their own title companies that handle their transactions. However, I do look at the weekly transactions list in the Cincinnati Enquirer, where they list the buyers’ and sellers’ names, and I do see a lot of institutional investors listed as buyers, sellers, or both. I also have seen an uptick in cash transactions to where right now, they’re running between 40-50% of my business. I do also have a couple of “mom and pop” investors that I work with on a regular basis. I do have my agents tell me from time to time that their sellers tell them up front that they will not sell to an investor. Right now with the market being so hot, they have that luxury. 

You’re right when you say it’s been an issue for years, going back to the housing meltdown of 2008, (which is another whole rabbit hole I could bore you with, but I won’t). I remember I had one closing where the buyer walked in, asked, “Which property is this?” We told him. He pulled out from his shirt pocket a bunch of cashiers checks, pulled out the right one, handed it to me, signed his paperwork, and left very quickly because he had another closing to get to. He did also mention that it was his 5th closing that day and he had 3 more to go to. IIRC, the company was Stillwater Investments, which used to be a big investor. This was like back in 2010??

Question is-how can Congress, the President, or even local legislators regulate this?  

As for the whole commission ruling, I don’t think you’ll see a whole lot change on that front, in spite of all the supposed drama about it. The agents have to change how they ask for compensation on the buyer’s side and can still ask the seller to pay their commission, and HUD/VA/USDA are already in the process of modifying their guidelines to allow sellers to pay the buyer’s commission without affecting the limits on what the seller can pay on behalf of the buyer, and FNMA/FHLMC is working on that also. The short and long of this whole ruling is that sellers are no longer REQUIRED to offer buyer compensation in the MLS.

• Upvote 1