Connecticut to become 1st state to cancel medical debt for eligible residents

Jamie_B

On 2/6/2024 at 7:28 PM, Jamie_B said:

This needs to happen everywhere. 

Cancelled the debt owed to Hospitals,

doctors, techs?

Is the state going to reimburse them ?

Can the state budget handle it or do they pass it on to taxpayers?

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Cancelled the debt owed to Hospitals,

doctors, techs?

Is the state going to reimburse them ?

Can the state budget handle it or do they pass it on to taxpayers?

Bought the debt at a reduced cost and the state paid it.  And yes the state can afford it when it means those people are able to use the money they might have spent on the full amount of the debt and instead spend it someplace that the state gets a percentage of their spending in taxes.

11 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Bought the debt at a reduced cost and the state paid it.  And yes the state can afford it when it means those people are able to use the money they might have spent on the full amount of the debt and instead spend it someplace that the state gets a percentage of their spending in taxes.

It's a small state where it may work.

Somehow I see health premiums going up and up.

As a former resident of CT, I like this move. However, there is nothing new about the approach--only that this is being done with state money (which in itself is a grant.) Here is what is happening. The debt being bought has already been sold off to collection agencies. The grant money will buy the debt at a discount--as is normal practice in the collection industry and a lot of people will not have bloodsucker collection agencies making their life miserable. Everyone benefits, as far is it goes. NGOs have being doing this for years.

The problem is that it doesn't go very far. Everyone knows there are serious systematic problems with the health care industry. This country ought to have a form of universal health care. And CT state government isn't ever going to be a forerunner for that, seeing as how a lot of the insurance industry is homed in CT.

I'll offer two anecdotes of my own, and I'm sure that a lot of people on this board have their own, similar tales. Since I got sick, one of the medications I take, at eight week intervals, costs 28,800 dollars per dose. I pay eleven dollars, so the company that makes the medicine is sticking it to Medicare. Secondly, I went down to pick up my Mother's Multaq prescription, which after what little is contributed by insurance, costs her over 800 dollars for a 90 day supple. I was curious, so when I got home, I look up prices for Multaq in the U.S. and abroad. $12.81 per pill here, and a little over $2.00 in Canada and other countries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Homer_Rice said:

As a former resident of CT, I like this move. However, there is nothing new about the approach--only that this is being done with state money (which in itself is a grant.) Here is what is happening. The debt being bought has already been sold off to collection agencies. The grant money will buy the debt at a discount--as is normal practice in the collection industry and a lot of people will not have bloodsucker collection agencies making their life miserable. Everyone benefits, as far is it goes. NGOs have being doing this for years.

The problem is that it doesn't go very far. Everyone knows there are serious systematic problems with the health care industry. This country ought to have a form of universal health care. And CT state government isn't ever going to be a forerunner for that, seeing as how a lot of the insurance industry is homed in CT.

I'll offer two anecdotes of my own, and I'm sure that a lot of people on this board have their own, similar tales. Since I got sick, one of the medications I take, at eight week intervals, costs 28,800 dollars per dose. I pay eleven dollars, so the company that makes the medicine is sticking it to Medicare. Secondly, I went down to pick up my Mother's Multaq prescription, which after what little is contributed by insurance, costs her over 800 dollars for a 90 day supple. I was curious, so when I got home, I look up prices for Multaq in the U.S. and abroad. $12.81 per pill here, and a little over $2.00 in Canada and other countries.

More clear useage of it now.

Tks.

What's to stop you from getting her meds in Canada?

Is that legal?

Hope your doin better Homer.

God Bless sir ..

12 hours ago, Homer_Rice said:

Probably my biggest disappointment in Biden is he hasn't even lifted a finger for the public option he said he would try to do.

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Probably my biggest disappointment in Biden is he hasn't even lifted a finger for the public option he said he would try to do.

Yes..

Plus another dozen insane actions or non actions he's taken..

A horror show ..

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Yes..

Plus another dozen insane actions or non actions he's taken..

A horror show ..

I doubt very seriously we agree on what actions Biden has or has not done.

And nothing will ever compare to the guy before him. That guy belongs in jail.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I doubt very seriously we agree on what actions Biden has or has not done.

And nothing will ever compare to the guy before him. That guy belongs in jail.

Yeah the Bidens are real honest folks.

Gimme a break with your hatred for conservatives.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Yeah the Bidens are real honest folks.

Gimme a break with your hatred for conservatives.

What exactly are conservatives actually conservative about? Fine with insurrection, fine with rape or marital infidelity, fine with pedophiles, fine with insane government spending on boondoggles like a border wall, no problem at all with the government legislating people's private lives...

Republicans are just the party of bigotry.  If you don't hate gay/trans people or minorities there's really not a whole lot left of substance there. 

Other than being in a die-hard cult for the most obvious narcissistic conman imaginable, that is. 

The only reason they're still relevant is because they've shown they're both willing and eager to resort to mob violence and terrorism,  Meanwhile however that's also marginalizing them by self-selecting for the most batshit of supporters.  Not a great long term strategy but hey being a little pee-pants baby screaming about ridiculous shit like M&M's not being sexy enough or whatever the fuck nonsense outrage-du-jour is spoonfed to them does keep them in the news for now.

• Upvote 2