The HDTV Survey

Jason

I e-filed my taxes Thursday, and expect a very nice return in the next week or 2. Nice enough to finally get that high-def TV. So I want to start gathering information now. I would appreciate feedback from those of you with an HDTV.

What kind of TV do you have (plasma, LCD, DLP, other projection)?

Wide screen or regular?

What manufacturer?

Where did you buy it?

What size screen?

How long have you had it?

How much did you pay for it?

How do the non-HD channels look, particularly for those of you with the really big, or wide-screen owners?

Would you be willing to "review" it for me? Would you recommend your TV to a friend? If not, why not? What would you have done differently?

Thanks,
Jason

[quote name='Jason' post='214686' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:21 PM']I e-filed my taxes Thursday, and expect a very nice return in the next week or 2. Nice enough to finally get that high-def TV. So I want to start gathering information now. I would appreciate feedback from those of you with an HDTV.

What kind of TV do you have (plasma, LCD, DLP, other projection)?

Wide screen or regular?

What manufacturer?

Where did you buy it?

What size screen?

How long have you had it?

How much did you pay for it?

How do the non-HD channels look, particularly for those of you with the really big, or wide-screen owners?

Would you be willing to "review" it for me? Would you recommend your TV to a friend? If not, why not? What would you have done differently?

Thanks,
Jason[/quote]
This is the one I have [img]http://images.fetchprices.com/products/133668.00.lg.jpg[/img]

It has been absolutely great. GE 40" screen 16:9 display, its older technology but its been great. I bought it at Circuit city2 years ago, it was the floor display model and they knocked $300 off the price. Ended up paying around $950 or so. I suggest looking at floor models because they are a great deal and you still get the full warranty. Just check the TV from top to bottom to make sure its ok.

My dad has a Sony Wega DLP that has also been good but way out of my price range.

[url="http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/products/details/dsp_product_details.cfm?prod=PT095"]http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/pro....cfm?prod=PT095[/url]

That is mine, I paid right around 3 for everything, including the wall mount and the 5 year warranty. Ive had it since about a month before the start of football season this year. The non-HD channels arent bad, but you will notice a difference, its impossible not to. I started off not getting the SuperFan package that directTV has, but got it after for the steelers game and it's glorius. I will never not get the SuperFan if only because of the games being in HD. I also bought at CircutCity.

awesome, you will love it..

i have a 46" toshiba rear projection HDTV. in deciding what kind to buy, you will need to decide what size you want, and go from there, an LCD or plasma will cost you double what the rear projection will, and be half the size, a 27-32" lcd or plasma will cost $2500-3000, maybe just under $2000 these days, and a 46-50" projection HDTV will cost you about $1200-1500 but size is also a factor, the projection tv's are 4-5 times as thick as the lcd or plasma, but most have a sweet matching tv stand so you can ditch any entertainment center you would already have or need to get for a lcd or plasma..

as far as channel quality, the quality vs your old tv is still better, even non HD channels, but that comes with just getting a new tv, times change and shit gets better, now going from the HD channels back to the normal, feels like they are shit ass channels and you dont even wanna watch them, the hd channels are that good... unfortunetly there arent that many hd channels, but for sports and such, its awesome, i watched the entire ncaa tounry at my sisters in hd on thier HD tv..

as far as recomending mine, i would/wouldnt, its old technology now, and projection is just getting odler and cheaper, and not a whole lot better, projection has nearly reached its climax in quality, so if in 5-7 years you are probably gonna get the new shit out, projection is cool, but if your crazy like my parents and keep a tv until it dies completely.. a new technology might be a better road, although youll be pissed when every 6 months your tv drops $500 in price...

lemme know if you ahve any other specific questions i didnt touch on..

toshiba is known to be a great brand, i have 3 toshiba tv's, two of which are HD, a toshiba suround sound system and a toshiba DVR+rw with a hardd rive in it, all have been excellent...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214699' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:34 PM'][url="http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/products/details/dsp_product_details.cfm?prod=PT095"]http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/pro....cfm?prod=PT095[/url]

That is mine, I paid right around 3 for everything, including the wall mount and the 5 year warranty. Ive had it since about a month before the start of football season this year. The non-HD channels arent bad, but you will notice a difference, its impossible not to. I started off not getting the SuperFan package that directTV has, but got it after for the steelers game and it's glorius. I will never not get the SuperFan if only because of the games being in HD.[/quote]

this reminds me, how close you sit to the tv, projection you should be about 2.5 times the size of your tv away.. mines 46 inches so like 10 feet away is optimal, with lcd and plasma, thats a non factor,

nice tv jamie.. :headbang:

very similar to my sisters..

and it looks like prices are coming down, $2,000 for a 37", projection youll get 50" for $1500, but the lcd/plasma is a better quality and smaller/thinner TV..

what do you guys think about the amount of programming available now? Ive had HD for 2 years now and you slowly get more and more. When i got my TV march of 2004, the NCAA tournament wasnt in HD til the final 4.

Most primetime network shows are now in HD but that and some sporting events are about it. (except for specialized HD channels) Do you think all the nfl games in 2006 will be in HD and do you think that pretty much everything a major network plays will start to be in HD?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214708' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:42 PM']Its driving me nuts because the local channels for me arent in HD yet, because they are still ironing out the details with the locals.

I want my 24 in HD damn it.[/quote]
i dont know if the city you live in is bigger than cincy but we didnt get Fox HD until the day before the super bowl last year because the local affiliate wanted to pass all costs off onto time warner and the other providers.

As a compromise with the wife (she wants to be "responsible" with the money and pay down credit cards, and maybe a new mattress) I am probably looking in the $1500 range for the TV. I can go a little higher (possibly up to $2000) if I pass on the new entertainment center and make do with an old TV stand and a separate shelving unit.

[quote name='whodey319' post='214713' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:46 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='214708' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:42 PM']
Its driving me nuts because the local channels for me arent in HD yet, because they are still ironing out the details with the locals.

i dont know if the city you live in is bigger than cincy but we didnt get Fox HD until the day before the super bowl last year because the local affiliate wanted to pass all costs off onto time warner and the other providers.
[/quote]

I live 30 min south of DC so you would think so, but yes were having the same issue.

[quote name='Jason' post='214720' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:55 PM']As a compromise with the wife (she wants to be "responsible" with the money and pay down credit cards, and maybe a new mattress) I am probably looking in the $1500 range for the TV. I can go a little higher (possibly up to $2000) if I pass on the new entertainment center and make do with an old TV stand and a separate shelving unit.[/quote]

If 2000 is the max, Id hold off on the entertainment center as well and perhaps next tax season add surround sound too.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214726' date='Feb 6 2006, 02:02 PM'][quote name='Jason' post='214720' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:55 PM']
As a compromise with the wife (she wants to be "responsible" with the money and pay down credit cards, and maybe a new mattress) I am probably looking in the $1500 range for the TV. I can go a little higher (possibly up to $2000) if I pass on the new entertainment center and make do with an old TV stand and a separate shelving unit.[/quote]

If 2000 is the max, Id hold off on the entertainment center as well and perhaps next tax season add surround sound too.
[/quote]

I already have a surround sound set up (for the DVD player).

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214724' date='Feb 6 2006, 02:01 PM'][quote name='whodey319' post='214713' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:46 PM']
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214708' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:42 PM']
Its driving me nuts because the local channels for me arent in HD yet, because they are still ironing out the details with the locals.

[/quote]

I live 30 min south of DC so you would think so, but yes were having the same issue.
[/quote]
just to make you feel better, 24 is badass in HD.

[quote name='whodey319' post='214745' date='Feb 6 2006, 02:27 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='214724' date='Feb 6 2006, 02:01 PM']
[quote name='whodey319' post='214713' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:46 PM']
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214708' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:42 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]
just to make you feel better, 24 is badass in HD.
[/quote]

<_<

Guest BengalsOwn

I'm looking for a TV as well, and hope to have one setup by the end of this week.

I've never been so confused in my life.

I'm looking at a 42" plasma that Best Buy has

[url="http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17005&type=page&_requestid=68336"]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...requestid=68336[/url]

I imagine I'll probably end up buying it, but man that's a lot of money.

Does anyone have problems getting the local channels in HD with an antennae?

Let's say I buy this TV for $2400 (including the 4 year warranty), how much more $ will I be spending to get it going? I plan on waiting a little while before I get the HD DirecTV setup, just because I would want the HD TIVO, which is way to expensive now. So that means I would need to get the HDTV antennae, and any cables I may need (one DVD player, TIVO box, and plan on buying a 7.1 surround setup this week as well). I would also need the wall mount.

It looks like I'm looking at around $2700 or so for this new TV?

Damn that's a lot of money...

What's the best place to get the high quality cables online? It's a ripoff at Best buy, anyone have any recommendations?

I guess I'll also be needing some wall plates for RCA's and what not, I plan on running all of the cables inside the wall.

What a nightmare of a project :rolleyes:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='214705' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:37 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='214699' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:34 PM']
[url="http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/products/details/dsp_product_details.cfm?prod=PT095"]http://shopus.polaroid.com/shop/public/pro....cfm?prod=PT095[/url]

That is mine, I paid right around 3 for everything, including the wall mount and the 5 year warranty. Ive had it since about a month before the start of football season this year. The non-HD channels arent bad, but you will notice a difference, its impossible not to. I started off not getting the SuperFan package that directTV has, but got it after for the steelers game and it's glorius. I will never not get the SuperFan if only because of the games being in HD.[/quote]

this reminds me, how close you sit to the tv, projection you should be about 2.5 times the size of your tv away.. mines 46 inches so like 10 feet away is optimal, with lcd and plasma, thats a non factor,

and it looks like prices are coming down, $2,000 for a 37", projection youll get 50" for $1500, but the lcd/plasma is a better quality and smaller/thinner TV..
[/quote]

Not sure how I missed this, yeah I love it. Esp for 360.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214821' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:37 PM'][quote name='GoBengals' post='214705' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:37 PM']
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214699' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:34 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

have you changes the settings on the 360 to the HD 1080i widescreen yet?

its sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

[quote name='GoBengals' post='214837' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:54 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='214821' date='Feb 6 2006, 04:37 PM']
[quote name='GoBengals' post='214705' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:37 PM']
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='214699' date='Feb 6 2006, 01:34 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

have you changes the settings on the 360 to the HD 1080i widescreen yet?

its sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
[/quote]

Yes indeed I have, and yes its awe inspiring.

I've heard a lot of praise about DLP also..

[url="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1648787&CatId=1830"]http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...8787&CatId=1830[/url]

^^ If I wasnt blowing my tax return on my CC bills, which will pay them all off.. (i'm both happy and pissed :lol: ), i'd seriously consider the TV above.

Serious advances have been made in straight projection TV's as well. I know this is out of your price range, but My Mom and Dad when they built their new house paid an extra $25k for their 106" equipped, HDTV, THX certified 7.1 surround system for their media room, and it is ALL THE WAY LIVE....especially since it's next to the bar...they have flat LCD's in 3 of their other rooms as well, and I have to say their 32" LCD has the edge in picture quality/brightness in HD compared to their media room projection unit...but it's awfully hard to argue with 106 inches....it's HUGE!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='215010' date='Feb 6 2006, 10:54 PM']Serious advances have been made in straight projection TV's as well. I know this is out of your price range, but My Mom and Dad when they built their new house paid an extra $25k for their 106" equipped, HDTV, THX certified 7.1 surround system for their media room, and it is ALL THE WAY LIVE....especially since it's next to the bar...they have flat LCD's in 3 of their other rooms as well, and I have to say their 32" LCD has the edge in picture quality/brightness in HD compared to their media room projection unit...but it's awfully hard to argue with 106 inches....it's HUGE![/quote]
ive seen a HD projector as well. The quality isnt as good as the normal TV but you are right. It is good enough and the size sompensates for it. I wanna say the good projectors are running around $5000.

[quote name='whodey319' post='215087' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:30 AM'][quote name='Bunghole' post='215010' date='Feb 6 2006, 10:54 PM']
Serious advances have been made in straight projection TV's as well. I know this is out of your price range, but My Mom and Dad when they built their new house paid an extra $25k for their 106" equipped, HDTV, THX certified 7.1 surround system for their media room, and it is ALL THE WAY LIVE....especially since it's next to the bar...they have flat LCD's in 3 of their other rooms as well, and I have to say their 32" LCD has the edge in picture quality/brightness in HD compared to their media room projection unit...but it's awfully hard to argue with 106 inches....it's HUGE![/quote]
ive seen a HD projector as well. The quality isnt as good as the normal TV but you are right. It is good enough and the size sompensates for it. I wanna say the good projectors are running around $5000.
[/quote]

Why would you talk out of your ass on the internet?

Is your Google broken?

How about your Cnet?

Amazon?

Get it together - you only need $800-900 to get into a HD projector. The way to make the whole thing work well is to light it correctly, and USE A SCREEN. Don't just put it on the wall.

$5000!

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//32.gif[/img]
:onoudidnt:
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]
:lol:

[quote name='Kool Keith' post='215174' date='Feb 7 2006, 12:16 PM'][quote name='whodey319' post='215087' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:30 AM']
[quote name='Bunghole' post='215010' date='Feb 6 2006, 10:54 PM']
Serious advances have been made in straight projection TV's as well. I know this is out of your price range, but My Mom and Dad when they built their new house paid an extra $25k for their 106" equipped, HDTV, THX certified 7.1 surround system for their media room, and it is ALL THE WAY LIVE....especially since it's next to the bar...they have flat LCD's in 3 of their other rooms as well, and I have to say their 32" LCD has the edge in picture quality/brightness in HD compared to their media room projection unit...but it's awfully hard to argue with 106 inches....it's HUGE![/quote]
[/quote]

Why would you talk out of your ass on the internet?

Is your Google broken?

How about your Cnet?

Amazon?

Get it together - you only need $800-900 to get into a HD projector. The way to make the whole thing work well is to light it correctly, and USE A SCREEN. Don't just put it on the wall.

$5000!

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//32.gif[/img]
:onoudidnt:
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]
:lol:
[/quote]
i bet you were in line for those $125 plasma TV's at walmart during christmas too.

So when i say that the good projectors could run $5000 that is exactly true and you have no idea what your talking about. Gain knowledge on the subject before you criticize. You cant even get a real good computer projector for $800 so i have no idea where you are getting a good HD 16:9 theatre projector at. Here are some popular models:

[url="http://www.digitallyunique.com/Sharp-XVZ10000U-HD2-DLP-16-9-front-projector-DLP-Projectors_stcVVproductId3753109VVcatId414481VVviewprod.htm"]http://www.digitallyunique.com/Sharp-XVZ10...1VVviewprod.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.digitallyunique.com/In-Focus-InFocus-LP815-Installation---Integration-Projector-DLP-Projectors_stcVVproductId3723596VVcatId414481VVviewprod.htm"]http://www.digitallyunique.com/In-Focus-In...1VVviewprod.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.digitallyunique.com/Sim2-DOMINO-30H--BLACK---HD2-DMD-Home-Theater-Projector-DLP-Projectors_stcVVproductId3753151VVcatId414481VVviewprod.htm"]http://www.digitallyunique.com/Sim2-DOMINO...1VVviewprod.htm[/url]

oh yeah, screens arent included in these prices so add another $600-$1000 for the 106" screen. But you are supposedly able to get the HD projector for the same price as the screen so please enlighten us with some links.
[url="http://www.digitallyunique.com/viewproduct.htm?category_id=419203&productId=3875039"]http://www.digitallyunique.com/viewproduct...oductId=3875039[/url]

Most bulbs average 2k hours.. Most replacement lamps run you $300-400. So you're looking at buying a new lamp every year. 5 years x $300-400... 6... 8 years? + the cost of projection setup = $$ or buy a hdtv now for a couple/few thousand for what it may cost you on upkeep on the projector. You get the point..

Will it run out during the superbowl next year.. bengals down by 3 and in the red zone, 1min left... ?

Are you going to have an extra $400 to blow that week on a bulb?

etc..etc.. Some projectors though let you check lamp life, hours it's been on.. some now are even 4k hours, then we are talking more $$ though for the unit.

If you got the money for lamps and the wall space for the screens.. it's definitely worth at least looking at, they've come a long way..

IMO though.. not worth the hassle, or the potential hassle... we have many projections on display at work, and it seems every month we are replacing the damn lamps. Even though most of them get left on all day.. :crazy:

Archived