Bengals interested in Lavar Arrington!

[quote name='bengaldee' post='231885' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:29 PM']If we we sign Lavar how in the hell do we sign any o-lineman?[/quote]

i think we will still have the money for the o-lineman next year. we only have 4 to sign in reality(braham is retiring mostlikely). i only see us signing 3 out of the 4. i think if we get these other deals done (lavar, adams?), then we sign bobbie also this year. then next year we pickup eric and levi, it really does hurt me to say this but i dont see us signing big willie because of age and injuries. Also you have to remember that next year simmons contract and justion's contracts are up, among others, so that will free up some space as well.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='fredtoast' post='231858' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:04 PM'][quote name='Bengals1181' post='231640' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:13 AM']
I'd imagine the lineup would look like such:

J. Smith - S. Smith - Geathers - Pollack

Arrington - Thurman - Johnson[/quote]

I don't like this at all.

-Pollack will be more effective as an OLB than DE. His strength is his quickness not his power. He would be a star at OLB, but at DE he would struggle against the run.

-Geathers didn't show ANYTHING at DT. He only played there on passing downs, and he never got any pressure on the QB. This just doesn't make any sense.

-Shaun Smith sucks. The Bengals defense was at its absolute worst when Smith was forced into the starting lineup. He wasn't even on the active roster for the playoff game. How the hell is he going to pass Thornton and Robinson on the depth chart?

-Arrington has not matured. In fact he has gotten worse. He didn't even see the playing field for most of the Redskins games. I know he is a freakish athlete, but why would we want a selfish, lazy piece of crap like that on our team.

-Landon Johnson has not shown that he is a decent OLB. He got replaced at MLB by a rookie, and only played part time at OLB last year. When he was playing I never saw him do much of anything.

Let's face it. Our defense stunk last year. Moving the same players to different positions won't make that much difference.

And NO WAY Arrington signs with Cincinnati. LB is the ONLY position on defense where we don't need help. Why spend all of our money on a position that is already the strength of our defense when we have huge needs at safety, DT, CB, and DE?
[/quote]

again, thank goodness you are not the Bengals GM.

Pollack wouldn't be a true DE, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. The ability to have Pollack, Geathers, Smith, and Arrington all on the field at the same time would allow the Bengals to move from a 3-4 to a 4-3 without substitutions, and cause offensive coordinators nightmares. You'd never konw which one of the 4 was coming, and who was dropping into coverage. Couple with that on how they intend to send Dexter Jackson on blitzes often.

I agree that Geathers isn't a perfect DT. That's why pairing him with a stud would be crucial. At the same time, you don't want to beef him up too much, so that he can still play DE.

Signing Arrington would allow Bresh and Marvin to make us a very complex defense that is always keeping offenses guessing.

Further, I tihnk the signing of Jeanty will help in this scheme, and is also a sign of us going towards a scheme like this. Jeanty, like Pollack, can play both LB and DE.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='231915' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:50 PM'][quote name='fredtoast' post='231858' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:04 PM']
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='231640' date='Mar 14 2006, 11:13 AM']
I'd imagine the lineup would look like such:

J. Smith - S. Smith - Geathers - Pollack

Arrington - Thurman - Johnson[/quote]

I don't like this at all.

-Pollack will be more effective as an OLB than DE. His strength is his quickness not his power. He would be a star at OLB, but at DE he would struggle against the run.

-Geathers didn't show ANYTHING at DT. He only played there on passing downs, and he never got any pressure on the QB. This just doesn't make any sense.

-Shaun Smith sucks. The Bengals defense was at its absolute worst when Smith was forced into the starting lineup. He wasn't even on the active roster for the playoff game. How the hell is he going to pass Thornton and Robinson on the depth chart?

-Arrington has not matured. In fact he has gotten worse. He didn't even see the playing field for most of the Redskins games. I know he is a freakish athlete, but why would we want a selfish, lazy piece of crap like that on our team.

-Landon Johnson has not shown that he is a decent OLB. He got replaced at MLB by a rookie, and only played part time at OLB last year. When he was playing I never saw him do much of anything.

Let's face it. Our defense stunk last year. Moving the same players to different positions won't make that much difference.

And NO WAY Arrington signs with Cincinnati. LB is the ONLY position on defense where we don't need help. Why spend all of our money on a position that is already the strength of our defense when we have huge needs at safety, DT, CB, and DE?
[/quote]

again, thank goodness you are not the Bengals GM.

Pollack wouldn't be a true DE, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. The ability to have Pollack, Geathers, Smith, and Arrington all on the field at the same time would allow the Bengals to move from a 3-4 to a 4-3 without substitutions, and cause offensive coordinators nightmares. [b]You'd never konw which one of the 4 was coming, and who was dropping into coverage.[/b] Couple with that on how they intend to send Dexter Jackson on blitzes often.

I agree that Geathers isn't a perfect DT. That's why pairing him with a stud would be crucial. At the same time, you don't want to beef him up too much, so that he can still play DE.

Signing Arrington would allow Bresh and Marvin to make us a very complex defense that is always keeping offenses guessing.

Further, I tihnk the signing of Jeanty will help in this scheme, and is also a sign of us going towards a scheme like this. Jeanty, like Pollack, can play both LB and DE.
[/quote]

Exactly. good post man

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='Kochman' post='231898' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:38 PM'][quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='231883' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:28 PM']
IF that deal would transpire (IF!), I would think that clarifies that a DT will be picked up either or both in the 1st Round of the draft and FA...because Robert Geathers is not the answer as a DT, come on...I think Geathers and Fanene would make excellent reserves who can come in and rush the passer...

I would like this front 7 quite a bit:

DE: Pollack
DT: Adams or G. Jackson
DT: 1st Round Pick
DE: J. Smith

OLB: Arrington
MLB: Thurman
OLB: Simmons

Add Madieu, Deltha, Tory and now Dexter Jackson and with key reserves like Geathers, Fanene, Shaun Smith, Landon Johnson, Ratliff and KK...All the pressure will be on because THAT defense better kick some butt or there would have to be the assistant coaching changes some have been calling for...there would be no more excuses with that lineup[/quote]

If we were to get Arrington I would prefer the move to 3-4 doubt it would happen but you gotta dream sometimes.
DE-J.Smith a little light for DE in 3-4 but I bet he would hold his own
DT-Adams still dreaming a bit doubt there would be enough room to sign him
DE-Rodrique Wright drafted in the second still dreaming :whistle:

OLB-Pollack
MLB-Thurman
MLB-Simmons- I believe he used to play here back in the day
OLB-Arrington

:lmao:
[/quote]

IF WE WENT TO A 3-4 we would HAVE to sign Adams or Jackson. If we were moving to 3-4 and signing arrington and one of those DTs then i would say resign Webster. Him next to Thurman would be amazing at ILB. Then we could draft another MLB of Marvins liking to replace Webster in a few years, but Webster i thikn would really help Thurman out on the mental side if he could be out there with him.

I highly doubt any of this happens, just a thought. I dont see us signing arrington, i see this being smoke up our ass and people are getting super excited and about to be let down to where we can hear mike brown is a cheap ass again lol.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='231598' date='Mar 14 2006, 10:44 AM']Per Lance's Blog:

[quote]Tuesday, March 14, 2006
What I'm being told today
Bengals "peeps" tell me
Kim Herring will be cut
They won't retain Kevin Walter
They are pursuing a deal for LaVar Arrington......and it looks like they will get it done.
If they can seal the deal with Arrington.......Robert Gathers would move inside and David Pollack would move to DE.
They were impressed with Robert Gathers enough inside, to put him there more often....and move Pollack to DE. This would allow them to essentialy have 4 LB's on the field.....and switch from 4-3 to 3-4 without substituting from play to play.
QB: Looks like they will have one in the next week......it won't be Kitna[/quote]

[url="http://www.lance1360homer.com/blog.asp"]Linky[/url]
[/quote]

Lance brought this up during the opening of his show. I emailed him about how reliable his source could be considered, and his only response was "they are not saying a deal was done". Take that for what you will.

[quote name='Kochman' post='231898' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:38 PM'][quote name='MAGICTOUCH' post='231883' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:28 PM']
IF that deal would transpire (IF!), I would think that clarifies that a DT will be picked up either or both in the 1st Round of the draft and FA...because Robert Geathers is not the answer as a DT, come on...I think Geathers and Fanene would make excellent reserves who can come in and rush the passer...

I would like this front 7 quite a bit:

DE: Pollack
DT: Adams or G. Jackson
DT: 1st Round Pick
DE: J. Smith

OLB: Arrington
MLB: Thurman
OLB: Simmons

Add Madieu, Deltha, Tory and now Dexter Jackson and with key reserves like Geathers, Fanene, Shaun Smith, Landon Johnson, Ratliff and KK...All the pressure will be on because THAT defense better kick some butt or there would have to be the assistant coaching changes some have been calling for...there would be no more excuses with that lineup[/quote]

If we were to get Arrington I would prefer the move to 3-4 doubt it would happen but you gotta dream sometimes.

OLB-Pollack
MLB-Thurman
OLB-Arrington

[/quote]

People, we are [b]NOT[/b] switching to a 3-4. Not as our base anyway. Marvin has said several times he doesn't like the 3-4.

Guest fredtoast
For anyone that is interested in Lavar's freakishly amazing production here are his COMBINED numbers for the past two years

15 games
50 tkls
1 sack

JT has put up better numbers than that.

[quote]

If we were to get Arrington I would prefer the move to 3-4 doubt it would happen but [size=5][color="#3366FF"]you gotta dream sometimes[/color].[/size]

OLB-Pollack
MLB-Thurman
OLB-Arrington

[/quote]

People, we are [b]NOT[/b] switching to a 3-4. Not as our base anyway. Marvin has said several times he doesn't like the 3-4.
[/quote]

I said I would{key word being there "I"} would prefer the switch I never said they would. I know Marvin said that I don't think they will switch.

[quote name='Kochman' post='231964' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:37 PM'][quote]

If we were to get Arrington I would prefer the move to 3-4 doubt it would happen but [size=5][color="#3366FF"]you gotta dream sometimes[/color].[/size]

OLB-Pollack
MLB-Thurman
OLB-Arrington

:lmao:[/quote]

[quote name='Jason']People, we are [b]NOT[/b] switching to a 3-4. Not as our base anyway. Marvin has said several times he doesn't like the 3-4.[/quote]

I said I would{key word being there "I"} would prefer the switch I never said they would. I know Marvin said that I don't think they will switch.
[/quote]

Oops, missed taht part. My bed.

:doh:

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='bengaldee' post='231885' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:29 PM']If we we sign Lavar how in the hell do we sign any o-lineman?[/quote]

Easy. We have tons of cap room. Look at the damn redskins and the players they signed.

Why is everyone hear so worried about the Bengals money? If they truly want to win, they'll do what they can to sign the impact players...

Guest Bengals1181

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='231974' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:56 PM'][quote name='bengaldee' post='231885' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:29 PM']
If we we sign Lavar how in the hell do we sign any o-lineman?[/quote]

Easy. We have tons of cap room. Look at the damn redskins and the players they signed.

Why is everyone hear so worried about the Bengals money? If they truly want to win, they'll do what they can to sign the impact players...
[/quote]

:0stfu:

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='231974' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:56 PM'][quote name='bengaldee' post='231885' date='Mar 14 2006, 03:29 PM']
If we we sign Lavar how in the hell do we sign any o-lineman?[/quote]

[/quote]

:wub:

Guest Claptonrocks
Sign Arrington?? Why? Whats wrong with the backers we presently have?
Pollack, Odell, Simmons, Landon and Caleb Miller with Wilkens as a distant reserve isnt sufficient?
Dont we have bigger needs than linebacker right now?

[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='231986' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:06 PM']Sign Arrington?? Why? Whats wrong with the backers we presently have?
Pollack, Odell, Simmons, Landon and Caleb Miller with Wilkens as a distant reserve isnt sufficient?
Dont we have bigger needs than linebacker right now?[/quote]

We sign Arington because he is cool and would make us all cooler if we have him...

Think about it

:badger:

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='231986' date='Mar 14 2006, 05:06 PM']Sign Arrington?? Why? Whats wrong with the backers we presently have?
Dont we have bigger needs than linebacker right now?[/quote]

Simmons will be 31 when the season starts and Landon and Caleb aren't of starting quality and they never will(well, maybe Caleb, but never Landon). Sign Lavar and get us a fat DT in the middle, and we'll have a monster D.

Guest Claptonrocks
Im still trying to figure out why Arrington is such a high profile player.
In terms of athleticism he's rated very high.. the knock is his intelligence on the field which has been called out in the past...

Didnt he have problems with Marvin's system and use to hold up his hands meaning he didnt understand or know what the play he was supposed to call? He resorted to free lancing after that....

Ive looked at his stats and he's never recorded 100 tackles in a year ( albeit 99 once ) he hasnt had an interception in like 5 years and his sack total ( only 7 in his last 33 games) are poor for all the hoopla he receives...

sounds lilke his persona outweighs his productivity by a longshot..

Guest Bengal_Smoov
Simmons is just about done, when his contract is up I doubt he will re-sign. Signig the younger more physically gifted Arrington makes plenty of sense and Arrington had is best season as a pro while under Marvin's tutiledge, he posted 90+ tackles and 11 sacks, that is awesome.

Like Own said we need more impact players on defense, drafting good players is cool and all but when an impact player because available you have to make a run at him if you are serious about winning. This is why they say winning starts from the ownership on down.

Guest Claptonrocks
Im just not seeing the productivity that others are out of this guy aside from one year a few years ago....
How much do you pay a guy like that?

I copied this off of espn insider nfl rumor central

Bengals enter Arrington chase
<Mar. 14> According to the Dayton Daily News, the Bengals have contacted Arrington's agent, Kevin Poston, regarding the Pro-Bowl linebacker. While talks are believed to be in the early stages, things could heat up real soon.
"Marvin [Lewis] definitely knows LaVar and there's definitely interest there," Poston said. "Marvin not only coached LaVar, but got to know him very intimately on the defensive side of the ball. Cincinnati is a great organization under Marvin's leadership and I'm sure he would like to get LaVar in there if he could. I think Marvin will try to do that."

Archived