Bengals interested in Lavar Arrington!

Let's not forget Arrington's coming off some pretty nagging injuries from last year....and he overpursues a LOT (remind anyone of another freakishly athletic LB on our team?).
I don't much like Warren Sapp, but one of the funniest things he's ever said was when he gave Arrington the nickname "Can't Get Right"....for his seeming inability to grasp the defensive system under Lewis.
So in other words, I want him very badly....

Guest IndianaBengal

[quote name='bengals8580' post='232035' date='Mar 14 2006, 06:26 PM']im not new, some ppl dont scroll to the last post to see wat is says so i start a new 1 if its semi important enough...sorry i dont follow the rules[/quote]
Don't sweat it 8580. Nice gesture posting that info. Even though it was posted earlier. Don't get down about that reply. B)

A.[b] I think that if we sign him we will cut Justin Smith who is heading into the last year of his contract [/b] (if i'm not mistaken.)He would free up alot of Cap space (anyone know exactly how much?) Then you draft a DE on day 1. You Rotate Pollack in at DE and LBer.You mix it up and dont play a standard 3-4, but move people around alot and blitz from everywhere.[b]I would hate to do it[/b], but Arrington is going to cost alot and we still have to sign our entire O-line. [b]The bottomline is you cant have everyone[/b]. It would be nice to dream that though. Even if we had enough money you dont have room for everyone.

B. We [b]cut or bench Brian Simmons [/b] and move Arrington to his side. I dont think LaVar could play on Simmons' side as well though so I dont think this is very likely....he cant cover like Simmons can.

C. You draft Ngata or Watson or sign Grady Jackson or Sam Adams and [b]move to a 3-4[/b]. I think this is the least likely option. I am 99% sure we wont move to a 3-4

Anyone have some other ideas as to what might happen?

[quote name='McBallerson' post='232055' date='Mar 14 2006, 06:56 PM']This whole LaVar thing is reminding me of the Sapp ordeal.[/quote]

Same here.....he just wants to get paid and the more teams he says are interested the higher his salary

I bet he would take out Big Benny.......so I say sign him

[quote name='whodeybengals59' post='232064' date='Mar 14 2006, 07:10 PM']A.[b] I think that if we sign him we will cut Justin Smith who is heading into the last year of his contract [/b] (if i'm not mistaken.)He would free up alot of Cap space (anyone know exactly how much?) Then you draft a DE on day 1. You Rotate Pollack in at DE and LBer.You mix it up and dont play a standard 3-4, but move people around alot and blitz from everywhere.[b]I would hate to do it[/b], but Arrington is going to cost alot and we still have to sign our entire O-line. [b]The bottomline is you cant have everyone[/b]. It would be nice to dream that though. Even if we had enough money you dont have room for everyone.

B. We [b]cut or bench Brian Simmons [/b] and move Arrington to his side. I dont think LaVar could play on Simmons' side as well though so I dont think this is very likely....he cant cover like Simmons can.

C. You draft Ngata or Watson or sign Grady Jackson or Sam Adams and [b]move to a 3-4[/b]. I think this is the least likely option. I am 99% sure we wont move to a 3-4

Anyone have some other ideas as to what might happen?[/quote]

We arent moving to the 3-4...what is everyone's enamoration with it? It isnt the system that wins championships, its the players.

Guest CrazyIrishman5

[img]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/24/248743.jpg[/img] = [img]http://www.pittsburghsteelers.co.uk/steelers/players/greg%20lloyd.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sportsnetwork.com/images/football/nfl/draft/2005/profiles/DRAFT-POLLACK.jpg[/img] = [img]http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/pitt/Kgreenepit.JPG[/img]

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Guest bengalrick
[url="http://www.cincinnatibengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5134"]click here[/url]
[i]
ESPN.com has rumored that the Bengals are interested in LaVar Arrington. Is this true? Do you think that this would be a realistic pickup for the Bengals? If so, does that mean that they would then go to a 3-4 defense? Who would be the odd man out, if anyone? I personally think that this would make a tremendous impact to our defense and the fans would love it! What do you think? WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick, Greenville, OH
NICK: The Arrington rumor looks to be exactly that. From what can be pieced together, not only are the Bengals not close to a deal with him, they aren’t even in contract discussions with him and he has not been in the building, never mind left it. No doubt Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has expressed his admiration for Arrington to his agents, the Poston brothers, but that seems to be as far as it’s gone.[/i]

pretty decent take on the lavar deal by hobson on this one...

[quote name='Honkey' post='231455' date='Mar 14 2006, 01:00 AM'][quote name='bigfeet4real' post='231446' date='Mar 13 2006, 11:39 PM']
me and a couple of my friends have brought up this topic quite a few times over the past couple weeks...............if we get him, i'd be willing to get rid of simmons.............OH MAN..............just think.........if we had webster healthy it could be levar,webster and odell........... :blink:[/quote]

Aren't you forgetting about David Pollack...? I mean the guy did have four sacks in limited action. A full camp will really help him. I would be willing to bet that he gets at least 10 sacks.

To the topic.. I've always been a big Lavar fan, but I would hope he'd take a pay cut and I hope Marvin would have him on a real tight leash
[/quote]

all of pollack's sacks came from the DE position! we need to make him put back on the weight and let him play his pure position.

The entire aticle as posted in part by Bengalrick:

Hobson's Choice: Rumor on a blitz

March 14, 2006

ESPN.com has rumored that the Bengals are interested in LaVar Arrington. Is this true? Do you think that this would be a realistic pickup for the Bengals? If so, does that mean that they would then go to a 3-4 defense? Who would be the odd man out, if anyone? I personally think that this would make a tremendous impact to our defense and the fans would love it! What do you think? WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick, Greenville, OH
NICK: The Arrington rumor looks to be exactly that. From what can be pieced together, not only are the Bengals not close to a deal with him, they aren’t even in contract discussions with him and he has not been in the building, never mind left it. No doubt Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has expressed his admiration for Arrington to his agents, the Poston brothers, but that seems to be as far as it’s gone.

It’s a fantasy if the asking price of $20 million guaranteed is anywhere close. The Bengals could do it, but they would probably have to say good-bye to half their offensive line next season to do it. I’m sure Lewis would love to have the guy like he did in that 2002 season in Washington, and he may have even told the Postons that.

And how can you blame him? With guy like Arrington, you don’t care what kind of defense you’re playing. Just get him in there and send him to the quarterback.

You could walk through a scenario where you get the money for Arrington (cut Brian Simmons, cut Kim Herring), but it still wouldn’t be enough and now you’re cutting into your core for that $20 million.

Look, I think it would be a bold, good move. Perfect for a team on the cusp. But at what price? I think that’s how they’re looking at it.

Lewis has an extremely good relationship with several great players and this is one to keep in mind. Maybe not right now and maybe not this year and definitely not at this price. But the nice thing is that Lewis isn’t going anywhere.

The 3-4 thing is something that Lewis has tinkered with and has thought about doing. But they clearly don’t have the personnel to play a pure Steelers 3-4. Their linebackers and linemen are too small, and they don’t have a nose tackle. I’m not sure Sam Adams is the prototypical 3-4 nose, either, but you would need more than him and Arrington to convert.

But Lewis and defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan are looking to be more multiple than a base of anything. They want to be able to mix a 4-3 with a 3-4 and keep people guessing, a la New England. For now, that’s why it appears they want to keep David Pollack as both a linebacker and defensive end.

Lewis will tell you he hasn’t played a 3-4 since his days with the Steelers and only went to it once during his seven years in Baltimore and that was in his first year because of injury.

Of course, if they were going to switch guys and the scheme around, Lewis certainly wouldn’t be one to announce it. It was big enough that he said they’re thinking about it, but all indications are they prefer to be a mix and they certainly aren’t scrounging for 250-pound inside backers.

Guest Patmo
Chris Perry got a 7 million $ deal as the 26th draft pick in the first rd of '04.Why would the Bengals overpay Arringtion when they can get a terrific LB with this years 24th pick ? You could say Arrington's a great LB and possibly be right.However,the real question is how much greater at what cost ? In my book,draft a stud LB and thank God that we've got guys like Landon Johnson on our roster. The cost of both will be 25 % of Arrington's tab and will have no impact on your CAP.

Guest Johnsons4Life
I heard on sirius nfl radio a little while ago we are going to start negotiations with arrington. Probably just another rumor that got out. This has all the makings of another Bengals free agency.

Guest Johnsons4Life
[quote name='Storm' post='232185' date='Mar 14 2006, 08:30 PM'][url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5134"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5134[/url]

Just another rumor[/quote]

Yea i saw that a little earlier. I hate Hobson. He always seems to ruin the fun whether hes right or wrong.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='232056' date='Mar 14 2006, 06:57 PM']Let's not forget Arrington's coming off some pretty nagging injuries from last year....and he overpursues a LOT (remind anyone of another freakishly athletic LB on our team?).
I don't much like Warren Sapp, but one of the funniest things he's ever said was when he gave Arrington the nickname "Can't Get Right"....for his seeming inability to grasp the defensive system under Lewis.
So in other words, I want him very badly....[/quote]

To: My people
RE: The wisdom of the Bungholio
CC: Bunghole

[quote name='#22' post='229724' date='Mar 11 2006, 06:45 PM']If the Bengals sign Arrington, I will never post here again.

I am that sure that it doesn't happen.[/quote]

Guest Matt_Six

[quote name='#22' post='232195' date='Mar 14 2006, 09:48 PM'][quote name='#22' post='229724' date='Mar 11 2006, 06:45 PM']
If the Bengals sign Arrington, I will never post here again.

[/quote]

????

You may be gone. :)

[quote name='#22' post='232195' date='Mar 14 2006, 09:48 PM'][quote name='#22' post='229724' date='Mar 11 2006, 06:45 PM']
If the Bengals sign Arrington, I will never post here again.

[/quote]
Even if Kentucky beats UAB and UCONN?
:)

[quote name='BengalsFanInNC' post='232191' date='Mar 14 2006, 09:40 PM']there is an ESPN Insider article about LaVar Arrington that states that the Bengals are now in the mix to get him. Does anyone here have access to that article? It'd be a good read ;)[/quote]

i have espn insider, and i posted earlier about the lavaar rumor. wat i posted was from rumor central.

[quote name='bengals8580' post='232029' date='Mar 14 2006, 06:21 PM']I copied this off of espn insider nfl rumor central

Bengals enter Arrington chase
<Mar. 14> According to the Dayton Daily News, the Bengals have contacted Arrington's agent, Kevin Poston, regarding the Pro-Bowl linebacker. While talks are believed to be in the early stages, things could heat up real soon.
"Marvin [Lewis] definitely knows LaVar and there's definitely interest there," Poston said. "Marvin not only coached LaVar, but got to know him very intimately on the defensive side of the ball. Cincinnati is a great organization under Marvin's leadership and I'm sure he would like to get LaVar in there if he could. I think Marvin will try to do that."[/quote]

ok i see it now...my bad on that one...thanks for posting this :thumbsup:

Archived