Get rid of the freakin animated sigs!!!

should animated signatures be banned  

42 members have voted

1. 1. should animated signatures be banned

• yes, they make my computer run slow
    • no, dont see any problems
    • whatever, dont care if it runs slow

its not the animation thats the issue its the file size, which is due to the animation, these are the factors causing people problems..

[b]invisions server blows[/b] its slow, but should be ok in noormal situations, its a shared server so during busy times when all of the peoples boards are hot, things slow down.

[b] not enough ram[/b] most computers for businesses and some odler home PC's lack more than 64-128mb of ram, the jist of ram is how much memory it can handle at once, thus huge image files slow down page loads ucase your PC processes it slower with less ram and or a slow processor

[b] suck ass internet[/b] this most people who have shit internet are used to so shouldnt really effect anything more than normal.

i have noticed the animations make my blackberry(cell phone/pda/intenrnet and email device i use) to brain fart and freeze, files ar etoo big, its only got 64 mb ram and vertain not upgradible.. it just cant handle much... then again its not meant to..

i voted i dont care, my cookies keep everything fast, when i clear thm its slow a few times then gets back up to speed.

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='Storm' date='Dec 27 2004, 05:13 PM']I voted that [b]I don't care if your computer runs slow[/b] :P
For the people who are having problems at work,  you need to be working and not playing on the computer :P

For those who have problems at home, upgrade to high speed ;)
[right][post="30517"][/post][/right][/quote]

It's not a matter of slow connection speed, it has more to do with processor speed and video card.

I have a 3200+ and a Radeon 9600 XT with a gig of ram, and I don't have any problems. However my work computer is older, and it's pretty horrible.

And why should we have to turn off sigs just because a select few of you have sigs that slow the rest of us down? You should have to remove yours and put in something reasonable.

I knew from the get go that the problem was with the sigs. The animated ones are over 5 mb. Well Rick's is! That's a lot of transfer for each time the web pages load. Even on a T1, I remeber 5 mbs music files took around a minute to download.

Another helpful hint would be to use cache. I use mine, and after the first load, I haven't had a problem.

If we turn off the sigs, then we can't see the beautiful work that Rick and the 12th man has done(oh don't forget get about me too). LOL.

Anyway, if you can reduce the size of your animated gifs to under a meg. That would be great (may not be possible though). Everyone would be able to enjoy the sigs.

while we are on a kick
for what works better...
could I possibly add one
itsy, bitsy, teeney, weeney
request???

would you all please hit
the return button a little
more frequently so we
don't have to scroll from
left to right while reading
your posts....

pretty please? :)

It's really not a big deal
but saves a little time.

thank you... luv you! :D

[quote name='BengalBeotch' date='Dec 28 2004, 03:54 PM']while we are on a kick
for what works better...
could I possibly add one
itsy, bitsy, teeney, weeney
request???

would you all please hit
the return button a little
more frequently so we
don't have to scroll from
left to right while reading
your posts....

pretty please? :)

It's really not a big deal
but saves a little time.

thank you... luv you! :D
[right][post="30845"][/post][/right][/quote]

Why? When you could increase your screen resolution!

[quote name='hiyall69' date='Dec 28 2004, 08:05 PM']No seriously, I don't know what kind of problem you are having cuz, no matter the size of my window, the text wraps to the next line on it own.
[right][post="30854"][/post][/right][/quote]

hell, I don't know...I'm not the
computer genius that many of
you are...all I know are the
programs I need to make a living...
sorry Charlie...some of the replies
are a mile long for me...I'd love
to know how to change it...
:D
please PM me and tell me how to change it..
thanks!

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='BengalBeotch' date='Dec 28 2004, 04:11 PM']hell, I don't know...I'm not the
computer genius that many of
you are...all I know are the
programs I need to make a living...
sorry Charlie...some of the replies
are a mile long for me...I'd love
to know how to change it...
:D
please PM me and tell me how to change it..
thanks!
[right][post="30857"][/post][/right][/quote]

Right click on your desktop, and go to properties.

Click the tab on the far right labeled "settings"

On the left side there is a bar, and above it it says "Screen Resolution"

Move that until the text under it says 1024 by 768 pixels.

[quote name='hiyall69' date='Dec 28 2004, 09:34 PM']There's your problem.  You are on a MAC!  MACs & Kitna SUCK ASS.

I'll assume that you are also using SAFARI or something else other than IE or Netscape.
[right][post="30884"][/post][/right][/quote]

OUCH!!! you $*&#$*& mean ass!

Yes...Mac at work PC at home...

uh....no, I'm not using SAFARI

AND I'm sorry you didn't get the
special last night and your in a bad mood.
:lol:

j/k

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' date='Dec 28 2004, 05:47 PM']i like the animated sigs, they dont slow me down at all. i dont have nearly the system that bengalsown has and encounter minimal lag time.
5MB is HUGE though! all of the animations that i have made were no bigger than 600KB....

system:
AMD 2400xp
768 megs fo pc 2100
radeon 9000 pro
[right][post="30890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

My 1 ghz 256 mb of ram with a generic graphics card at work struggles.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='hiyall69' date='Dec 28 2004, 04:34 PM']There's your problem.  You are on a MAC!  MACs & Kitna SUCK ASS.

I'll assume that you are also using SAFARI or something else other than IE or Netscape.
[right][post="30884"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

MACs are still the standard in the graphics industry. I use a PC at home and used to be a MAC hater, but for the print graphics industry, they're great. Overall though, I prefer PCs for the real world.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Dec 27 2004, 02:43 PM']Im running my computer off of a T1 line at work and the animated sigs are making the screen bounce all over the place.  For some reason the page never stops loading when i get to a certain post.  It only happens with pages with posts from Rick, bunghole, and a couple others so i am assuming its the signatures.
[right][post="30477"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

you can turn off sigs when your at work, or wherever your having trouble! its not really fair to force anyone to turn off their sigs, nor is it to make someone change their sig. so i guess you either have to deal with it or ask them nicely to remove it!

Archived