What to do with McNeal

I really want Reggie to make the team because he just has so much ability its crazy. But I dont see him making the roster as a WR this year.

This might be a rediculous idea but how about making him the #3 RB in place of either Watson or Wilson. He could line up in either the backfield as split backs or line up as a WR(ala Marshall Faulk). The big downfall to this is if Rudi would get hurt. If this would happen I think JJ could fill in and do an admirable job for a game. If the injury would be for an extended time they could try Wilson(since he is a similar runner) or possibly Perry could become what we drafted him for.

This could lead the Bengals to keep Washington or Brazell on the roster. If my idea works out it could make Washington expendable and get a low round pick for him in a trade.

Call me a Mcneal bandwagoner but after watching his youtube videos again its hard not to want somebody like that on your team.

[quote name='soundstreamer' post='309093' date='Aug 4 2006, 07:24 PM']I really want Reggie to make the team because he just has so much ability its crazy. But I dont see him making the roster as a WR this year.

This might be a rediculous idea but how about making him the #3 RB in place of either Watson or Wilson. He could line up in either the backfield as split backs or line up as a WR(ala Marshall Faulk). The big downfall to this is if Rudi would get hurt. If this would happen I think JJ could fill in and do an admirable job for a game. If the injury would be for an extended time they could try Wilson(since he is a similar runner) or possibly Perry could become what we drafted him for.

This could lead the Bengals to keep Washington or Brazell on the roster. If my idea works out it could make Washington expendable and get a low round pick for him in a trade.

Call me a Mcneal bandwagoner but after watching his youtube videos again its hard not to want somebody like that on your team.[/quote]

From what I've heard DeDe Dorsey is doing great and if we aren't keeping Watson I'd want Dorsey in the #3 spot. Also heard Whitehead was pretty good.

Reggie needs to be a factor on special teams in order to make the team.

Guest Patmo
[quote name='soundstreamer' post='309093' date='Aug 4 2006, 07:24 PM']I really want Reggie to make the team because he just has so much ability its crazy. But I dont see him making the roster as a WR this year.

Call me a Mcneal bandwagoner but after watching his youtube videos again its hard not to want somebody like that on your team.[/quote]

In Marvin's first year,he would have made the team easily.Today,he's got to make it as a WR first and then on special teams.IMO(which doesn't mean squat),he's an unlikely candidate to make the team.Maybe as a practice squad guy.

He should be able to return kicks.

Maybe if he can steal punt return duties from Chatman.

I guess Chatman is expendable. McNeal would seem to offer Chatmans quicks plus speed and size.

He just lacks the experience.

It's within his control to make this team, and there is a chance, but odds and history would tell us he's bound for the practice squad.

We haven't even traded Washington yet. Until that happends he certainly isn't making the team.

I for one hope we keep this kid..he played in a tough division in college and showed some skills. I think his talent is, dare I say, Mike Vick type shit. I am not saying he is as good as Vick but DAMN the kid is quick and has a set of wheels... :badger:

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='309451' date='Aug 5 2006, 12:01 AM']We haven't even traded Washington yet. Until that happends he certainly isn't making the team.[/quote]

I wouldn't say that. Washington is definitely a candidate to get cut, especially with the increased role of Tab Perry.

It's semantics really... But you don't have to actually have to put him in at running back to keep him in your scenario. The NFL only requires that you have 2 active RB's on a roster. You could sign McNeal as an extra receiver and still cut a RB to make room. And of course, a WR receiver can always line up at RB if you want him there. Although, since RB's are eligible receivers, I guess the only difference would be his #.

[quote name='CJBESTINAFC' post='309591' date='Aug 5 2006, 09:02 AM']Forget making Mcneal the third rb. I watched Doug Johnson play last night and he was terrible. Mcneal should be the third qb just like the stealers did with Randle El.[/quote]

Agreed. We've got so much freaking talent at WR, it's ridiculous.
QBs should be
Palmer, Wright, McNeal

WRs should be
Chad, T.J., Henry, Chatman, Perry, Brazell

Trade Washington for basically any pick.

1. Reggie is not going to learn this WR position quickly enough to be any kind of factor this year, and Cincy is too deep there, but he has some potential there and needs work.

2. Cincy needs to find a good back-up QB, very critical given circumstances, so it is best that the top two QB challengers get all the work and all the looks, and Cincy not "waste" time with Reggie now.

3. Reggie has so much potential at QB, he should be slotted there automatically for the #3. with the loser of the #2 battle shipping out.

4. Now, the trick is to have RM learn the WR position, while still picking up the Bengals offense as QB. Take a year to determine if he can be come a top 3 or 4 WR. If not, decide if you want to invest the time to hone his considerable natural ability at QB.

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='texas aggie' post='310124' date='Aug 5 2006, 11:58 PM']1. Reggie is not going to learn this WR position quickly enough to be any kind of factor this year, and Cincy is too deep there, but he has some potential there and needs work.

2. Cincy needs to find a good back-up QB, very critical given circumstances, so it is best that the top two QB challengers get all the work and all the looks, and Cincy not "waste" time with Reggie now.

3. Reggie has so much potential at QB, he should be slotted there automatically for the #3. with the loser of the #2 battle shipping out.

4. Now, the trick is to have RM learn the WR position, while still picking up the Bengals offense as QB. Take a year to determine if he can be come a top 3 or 4 WR. If not, decide if you want to invest the time to hone his considerable natural ability at QB.[/quote]

I agree, because Practice Squad is probably not an option. The above plan makes sense.

Guest Claptonrocks
I was thinking that Johnson was a stopgap second string if Palmer couldnt go ..
If Palmer is able to go then McNeal and Meyer fight it out for third team and Johnson hits the road.

[quote name='OzBengal' post='310246' date='Aug 6 2006, 08:17 AM']I see no reason why we can not just go with 2 TEs and 7 WRs. Who would you rather make the team, Ronnie Ghent or Reggie McNeal?[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. But really it would be McNeal or St. Lous, and that's really hard to chose from. McNeal has a ton of potential as a returner and receiver, St Louis is a long snapper only, a very good long snapper. I don't know if there is anyone on the team we can count on as a long snapper if St Louis is dropped.

Unless Wilkerson, Justin Smith, or someone else can long snap just as well as St Louis, he makes the team. It's not worth risking a special teams breakdown to carry a 7th receiver who probably won't even be active on gamedays. From the scrimmage video, it didn't look like the alternate long snappers were threatening St Louis' job.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='310252' date='Aug 6 2006, 08:51 AM']My thoughts exactly. But really it would be McNeal or St. Lous, and that's really hard to chose from. McNeal has a ton of potential as a returner and receiver, St Louis is a long snapper only, a very good long snapper. I don't know if there is anyone on the team we can count on as a long snapper if St Louis is dropped.[/quote]

St Louis may be the man to go to make room for someone else... I've read about Ghiaciuc doing some long snapping for the team. If they made that a bit of a priority for him, we could free up that special teams spot for someone like McNeal or one of the odd man out linebackers.

Archived