Pollack Needs Surgery!

Guest oldschooler
Check out this thread.
[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=25887&pid=406130&st=40&#entry406130"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry406130[/url]

I posted a Video Interview that Brad Johansen did with Pollack.

Pollack said in that video that he is having an MRI and that
he won`t know the results til Thursday.

There is also a little article from channel 12 that says "It could be a while before Pollack knows
whether he can play football again."

[quote name='oldschooler' post='406477' date='Dec 13 2006, 11:11 AM']Check out this thread.
[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=25887&pid=406130&st=40&#entry406130"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry406130[/url]

I posted a Video Interview that Brad Johansen did with Pollack.

Pollack said in that video that he is having an MRI and that
he won`t know the results til Thursday.

There is also a little article from channel 12 that says "It could be a while before Pollack knows
whether he can play football again."[/quote]
[b]Thanks...[/b]

Guest mongoloido
Which member is the doctor? I'd love to understand more about the injury, the disc issue, what level of further recovery is possible, and what it all means in terms of football.

[quote name='mongoloido' post='406522' date='Dec 13 2006, 12:58 PM']Which member is the doctor? I'd love to understand more about the injury, the disc issue, what level of further recovery is possible, and what it all means in terms of football.[/quote]

I asked my dad about this stuff, and he said the problem is that they really havent revealed anything too telling as there are many different types of fractures that can happen in the C6 for him to have an idea of what one pollack has from these articles and thus he couldnt really give a good answer.

Guest Samurai J
Why is this even a question? It's been a REPORTED FACT that if Pollack gets the all clear to play, he WILL play again.

So far the signs of Pollack healing properly have all been extremely positive and he got his halo removed early, a really good sign. It's also a shown mediacal fact that if his neck heals proplerly, it will be even stronger than before.

Plus I have seen several accounts of current NFL players who have gone though the SAME thing as David and got back on the field. Carolina's Steve Smith is the 1st to come to mind.

I have my hopes up, but I'm not unrealistic and I don't make David's comments out to have any hidden meaning, he's put it on the line for the press and everyone to see so lets just wait for a few more hours and then we'll have an even better idea of where he is.

Guest mongoloido

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='406561' date='Dec 13 2006, 01:44 PM']I asked my dad about this stuff, and he said the problem is that they really havent revealed anything too telling as there are many different types of fractures that can happen in the C6 for him to have an idea of what one pollack has from these articles and thus he couldnt really give a good answer.[/quote]

Jeez. What good is he? Go get a new dad that can help us. :D

[quote name='Samurai J' post='406576' date='Dec 13 2006, 02:12 PM']Why is this even a question? It's been a REPORTED FACT that if Pollack gets the all clear to play, he WILL play again.

So far the signs of Pollack healing properly have all been extremely positive and he got his halo removed early, a really good sign. [b]It's also a shown mediacal fact that if his neck heals proplerly, it will be even stronger than before.[/b]

Plus I have seen several accounts of current NFL players who have gone though the SAME thing as David and got back on the field. Carolina's Steve Smith is the 1st to come to mind.

I have my hopes up, but I'm not unrealistic and I don't make David's comments out to have any hidden meaning, he's put it on the line for the press and everyone to see so lets just wait for a few more hours and then we'll have an even better idea of where he is.[/quote]

I asked my dad that too, as I had read that. Not true, the same sure, stronger no.

[quote name='mongoloido' post='406581' date='Dec 13 2006, 02:26 PM']Jeez. What good is he? Go get a new dad that can help us. :D[/quote]

:lol:

Guest oldschooler
This was posted by Hobson just a little bit ago...

[quote][size=5][b]Injury update: Colts dinged[/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
December 13, 2006

5:30 p.m.

No change in the Bengals’ injury situation Wednesday with center Rich Braham and left tackle Levi Jones (knees) doubtful and wide receiver Kelley Washington (hamstring) out for Monday night.

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning won’t have two of his weapons with tight end Dallas Clark (knee) and wide receiver Brandon Stokley (Achilles) out.

[b]No word yet on Bengals linebacker David Pollack, set to have a MRI this week for the fractured vertebra in his neck. The hope is he doesn’t need surgery, a procedure that could jeopardize his status for next season.

If there is no surgery, Pollack has been talking about a rehab period from anywhere between six to nine months. [/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5767"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5767[/url]

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='JC' post='406763' date='Dec 13 2006, 06:24 PM']So if Levi or Richie don't play this week are they getting ired?

I thought i saw a thread that said this was a determining week for them.[/quote]

It certainly sounded like a possibilty from [url="http://bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5761"]Hobson's article.[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='mongoloido' post='406754' date='Dec 13 2006, 05:02 PM']Thanks for the update. Still keeping my fingers crossed.[/quote]

Hobson updated it a little. He took out "No word yet on David Pollack" and added this...

[quote]Bengals linebacker David Pollack says, "We'll know everything," Thursday after his MRI for the fractured vertebra in his neck.[/quote]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Pollack ditches brace [/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Awaits results from MRI exam[/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

There is a new trophy in David Pollack's house. Like any other trophy, the black metal-framed halo brace that until last Thursday immobilized Pollack's neck for nearly three months will serve as a link to days past and accomplishments achieved.

"I'm going to keep it for the days that I feel sorry for myself," Pollack said Wednesday in a telephone interview. "You know how you go through those ruts in life where you feel sorry for yourself. I'm going to keep that thing and I'll look at when I'm having a bad day."

Pollack received an early Christmas present when doctors removed the halo brace 10 days sooner than originally planned. The second-year Bengals linebacker suffered a fractured C6 vertebra on Sept. 17 attempting to make a tackle against Cleveland running back Reuben Droughns.

He was to undergo an MRI exam on Wednesday and, Pollack said, he should find out the results today. The test will determine the next course of action for Pollack. [b]If the fracture has not healed on its own, he faces surgery and any thought of returning to play football is over. Should surgery not be needed, however, Pollack can begin his rehabilitation process right away.

The question of whether or not he can ever return to play for the Bengals would still remain an uncertainty for some time, but at least Pollack would know which path he could start down.[/b]

For now he's satisfied with appreciating simple notions that the halo took away from his life.

The first thing he said he did when the halo was removed was hug his wife, Lindsey. When he got home, his head touched a pillow for the first time since the injury. Then he hit the shower. While he was wearing the halo, Lindsey bathed him using baby wipes.

"I took a 45-minute shower, at least. I was pruned when I got out of the shower," Pollack said. "That was the best shower I ever took. If I didn't really need a shower, on days off I'd skip a shower but I promise you I'm not skipping any showers any more."

Pollack has been able to attend games this season but he has had to watch his teammates play from a box suite. [b]When the Bengals play Monday night at Indianapolis, he plans on being on the sideline.[/b]

Getting back on the sideline, in uniform or not, will give him a greater sense of belonging with the team. The last three months haven't been bad for Pollack, though. Much to the contrary, he said.

"Everybody would say 'How did you deal with this?' It's been fun. It really has," said Pollack. "I've played a lot of video games; I've relaxed a lot. It's not like it's been the worst three months of my life. Having the halo took away from exercising and doing a lot of things I've always done but it has helped me calm down and God really slowed me down. It was a worthwhile experience. I wouldn't recommend it, but I learned some things from it."

Pollack said he is excited about getting back to exercising.

"They took the vest off and they took the halo off and my neck is really, really small and my body is really, really ugly because I haven't been able to work out for three months," Pollack said. "It stinks when you look at your body. It's discouraging but I have a fun challenge ahead of me now. I get to reshape my body and work hard. It's going to be a fun road ahead."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/SPT03/612140310/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...10/1022/RSS0302[/url]

Guest mongoloido

I get the feeling we probably won't have a definitive answer on Pollack for several months. You really get the sense the doctor will like the bone, but say the disc needs more time... I'll take it, though. Anything other than "you shouldn't ever think about playing again" is good news to me. :D

Guest Samurai J
David on the sidelines could be a pretty big lift for the team. Even in a neck brace his energy will be felt.

Would anyone be surprised to hear on Tuesday and Marvin had to tell David to sit down and take it easy?

Guest oldschooler

I haven`t stumbled across any new news yet.

But Brad Johansen mentioned something about Pollack in his blog, what he says doesn`t
sound very encouraging. -_-

And he says Anthony Mitchell has to have surgery too...

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals Bandwagon[/b][/size]

Not the greatest 32nd birthday present for safety Anthony Mitchell, who found out this week he will have to have surgery on his injured foot.

The 8th-year player from Tuskegee saw Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham on Monday confirming the need for an operation on his Lisfranc tear, which hasn't healed properly. He will likely have that operation next week in hopes of getting back on the field next season.

=====
There wasn't much to say after the Raiders win. The Bengals did what they were supposed to do, so ... next?

I had to make a trip through Indianapolis after the game and got to listen to some Colts talk radio. Fans were killing this team and its coach Tony Dungy after the embarrassment of the loss to the Jags. Amusing to listen to fans of an 11-3 team going off. I also find it amusing that the national media is suddenly in love again with the Bengals and pronouncing them a team that can now play into February ... while the Colts are a one-and-out team. Hope the experts are right.

I know the players were hoping for a little more time off this week but circumstances with off-field incidents likely created an early call for a Wednesday walk-thru. Richie Braham was out Tuesday night handing out toys to needy kids and hopefully he'll get the gift of healing himself this week. That goes for Levi Jones and Kelley Washington as well since we're reaching the point of now or next year for several players.

=====
Great sitting down with David Pollack last Friday to chat about the removal of his halo. He, as always, is extremely positive about what the MRI will reveal on Thursday. He did admit there is a small space between the vertebrae that may have to be fixed.

[b]In talking to several surgeons familiar with spinal injuries, that would indicate he may still be facing some surgery to fuse a degenerative disc. If surgery is needed, he'd likely have the operation in January. David has already said if there is an increased risk of breaking his neck again he won't play.

Most doctors will tell you a spinal fusion will create increased risk.[/b] It would be great to see No. 99 return to the defensive line and take off for the quarterback again. But it wouldn't be as great as seeing David enjoy the rest of his life without a wheelchair. Best of luck on Thursday DP.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/johansen_blog.asp"]http://www.bengals.com/news/johansen_blog.asp[/url]

Archived