Justin Smith...he needs to sign now !

Guest Patmo

Guest Patmo
That Brooks supplemental pick is hurting us. We need picks.If Justin won't sign a new deal soon,I say trade him for a second and 3rd/4th pick.

[quote name='Patmo' post='450867' date='Mar 5 2007, 02:04 PM']That Brooks supplemental pick is hurting us. We need picks.If Justin won't sign a new deal soon,I say trade him for a second and 3rd/4th pick.[/quote]
I think we'll get a better idea on the Justin situation as soon as the Kelly / KK situations resolve themselves. At least I hope so.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='450945' date='Mar 5 2007, 03:10 PM']How is the Brooks pick hurting us? He is more talented than any guy we'd get in the third and he has a year of experience.[/quote]
Agreed. Had we not taken Brooks in the supplemental draft last year, would we have held on to Simmons?

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='gatorclaws' post='450945' date='Mar 5 2007, 04:10 PM']How is the Brooks pick hurting us? He is more talented than any guy we'd get in the third and he has a year of experience.[/quote]

Yep, he is going to be our starting MLB soon, if not this year then next year and for the long term. Anyone who thinks a player that is one step away from being booted out of the league (Odell) is in Marvin's plans as anything more than a backup and ST's player is crazy.

Think of Brooks as a guy we drafted in the third round of this year's draft, because that's exactly what he is. When you do that, you see that we got a very talented linebacker who now has a year of NFL experience with a third round pick. A pretty good deal, no?

It's almost like we rented him.

But I agree with the title of the post. They absolutely need to get a contract worked out with him. This 8.6 hit is killing our space. Hopefully Justin sees this, and cares enough about winning to get a deal done soon.

Guest Patmo
[quote name='gatorclaws' post='450945' date='Mar 5 2007, 04:10 PM']How is the Brooks pick hurting us? He is more talented than any guy we'd get in the third and he has a year of experience.[/quote]

Three words I hate regarding the NFL ... Potential promising and talented. Translation:the player ain't done nuthin' and we're hoping for lightening to strike.

[quote name='Patmo' post='451027' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:23 PM']Three words I hate regarding the NFL ... Potential promising and talented. [b]Translation:the player ain't done nuthin' and we're hoping for lightening to strike.[/b][/quote]

Thats what every team hopes for when they draft someone.

[quote name='Patmo' post='451027' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:23 PM']Three words I hate regarding the NFL ... Potential promising and talented. Translation:the player ain't done nuthin' and we're hoping for lightening to strike.[/quote]

So you hate the whole draft then, cause they ain't done nuthin' either.

[quote name='Patmo' post='451027' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:23 PM']Three words I hate regarding the NFL ... Potential promising and talented. Translation:the player ain't done nuthin' and we're hoping for lightening to strike.[/quote]

who would you rather have in the 3rd rd this year over brooks? is there better(lightening)on the board?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='451001' date='Mar 5 2007, 04:52 PM']You all realize this is the same Justin Smith that held out as long as he did as a rookie?
Dont expect anything soon.[/quote]

Good point, the only difference is that now we know he's nothing special, which will only make it take longer for us to sign him this time.

Guest Patmo

What I meant in reference to Brooks was that we need a 3rd pick this year.As somebody mentioned,Brooks is our third rd pick THIS YEAR .Good point.I just don't like Brooks.If you read Chick Ludwig he lacks motivation and doesn't do a lot of film work.Also,one of the writers mentioned that he was a Mike pick not Marvin.I have real questions about the guy.As I previously said; i get nervous when I hear coaches say he has "potential" .Reminds me too much of Mathias Askew.

Also,as I stated,they've got to make a decision on Justin.If he's going to play hardball,I don't blame him.BUT if he is trade him for two picks.We need new blood on the defense and this is a good year for DE''s,LB's,CB's and Safety's.

Guest Patmo
[quote name='cnbengal' post='451036' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:34 PM']who would you rather have in the 3rd rd this year over brooks? is there better(lightening)on the board?[/quote]

Can't give you a name.I can offer a description....Somebody with a fire in his belly,that's plays every down like it's his last.

Guest Patmo
[quote name='gatorclaws' post='451031' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:29 PM']So you hate the whole draft then, cause they ain't done nuthin' either.[/quote]

Gator,I don't understand your point.

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='451052' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:43 PM']how long is the longest that he can hold out before he signs ? isn't something close to the training camp ?[/quote]

He can hold out until the start of the season, but after that he starts losing money. We can still pull the tag at any time and if it got that close I think they would consider doing it because without practicing with the team he is going to lose what little effectiveness he has.

Guest Patmo

Who would you rather have Brooks (3rd) or Peko (4th).

Brooks or Tab Perry (6th)

Brooks or even Holt(F/A?

All three guys contributed more so far than Brooks AND WERE DRAFTED LOWER THAN Brooks.

[quote name='Patmo' post='451060' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:49 PM']Who would you rather have Brooks (3rd) or Peko (4th).

Brooks or even Holt(F/A?

All three guys contributed more so far than Brooks AND WERE DRAFTED LOWER THAN Brooks.[/quote]

They also all had a full training camp to work with.

[quote name='Patmo' post='451060' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:49 PM']Who would you rather have Brooks (3rd) or Peko (4th).

Brooks or even Holt(F/A?

All three guys contributed more so far than Brooks AND WERE DRAFTED LOWER THAN Brooks.[/quote]

not a fair comparison, brooks was a supplemental pick, he had no minicamp and didn't see aplay book until training camp . hold off judgement until this year.

[quote name='Patmo' post='451051' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:43 PM']Gator,I don't understand your point.[/quote]

I'm basically saying what others have also said. Every person is drafted based on their potential. If you hate players being described as having potential, then how do you enjoy the draft?

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Patmo' post='451042' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:38 PM']What I meant in reference to Brooks was that we need a 3rd pick this year.As somebody mentioned,Brooks is our third rd pick THIS YEAR .Good point.I just don't like Brooks.If you read Chick Ludwig he lacks motivation and doesn't do a lot of film work.Also,one of the writers mentioned that he was a Mike pick not Marvin.I have real questions about the guy.As I previously said; i get nervous when I hear coaches say he has "potential" .Reminds me too much of Mathias Askew.

Also,as I stated,they've got to make a decision on Justin.If he's going to play hardball,I don't blame him.BUT if he is trade him for two picks.We need new blood on the defense and this is a good year for DE''s,LB's,CB's and Safety's.[/quote]

I'd hardly trust what local reporters, especially Chick Ludwig, have to say about anything Bengals related.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Patmo' post='451047' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:41 PM']Can't give you a name.I can offer a description....[b]Somebody with a fire in his belly,that's plays every down like it's his last.[/b][/quote]
that sounds like Ahmad Brooks to me.

Brooks or even Holt(F/A?

Brooks, Brooks, and Brooks. He has more talent than all three of them, and is much more vital to the success of the franchise in the future.

[quote]Can't give you a name.I can offer a description....Somebody with a fire in his belly,that's plays every down like it's his last.[/quote]
There's a guy with stomach cancer in this year's draft?

Archived