Anyone here have lasik surgery?

I had an uncle have it done in Windsor and he said it has been great. I think it was only a grand for the whole precedure, including both eyes. There price is cheap. The only thing that sucks is if you don't live close to Canada.....the frequent visit will be bad. I want to have it done as well.....but just waiting for it to be picked up by insurance.

Whats a good age for kids to have it? my son is almost 15 and making sure he has his contacts in is a chore, plus he doesn't like to wear them when he's playing basketball which might affect his shooting

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='452784' date='Mar 8 2007, 12:38 AM']From what I have read it is not a good idea to have until after 21 because the eye keeps growing until then...but I could be wrong.[/quote]

Thanks, thats good to hear from someone else, I did hear something to that effect some time back, really afraid to get advice from a lasik surgeon cause they just want more business regardless of whether its a good idea or not .

Got it.

Best decision I ever made.

The surgeon I went to (John Siems in Las Vegas) is one of the best in the U.S.

He uses "Intralace" which is a bladeless (all laser) system.

A year later, and I'm 20/15 in both eyes (and can read the bottom line of the eye chart).

You don't want to get it until you are in your early to mid 20's, and only then if you've gone a couple of years without your eyes changing dramatically.

And you will need reading glasses when you hit your late 40's early 50's.

[quote name='Storm' post='452789' date='Mar 8 2007, 12:41 AM']Thanks, thats good to hear from someone else, I did hear something to that effect some time back, really afraid to get advice from a lasik surgeon cause they just want more business regardless of whether its a good idea or not .[/quote]
I've heard the same. My wife is desperate to have the procedure done at some point, as she is practically blind without vision correction...

Guest CincyInDC
My sister had it done, and she loves it--sort of. Her eyes are still getting worse each year (just like mine are, although I haven't had the procedure); we are both in our mid 30's. If your eyes are naturally getting worse like ours, they can continue to do so after the procedure (like my sister)...just from that 20/15 starting point Elflocko mentioned. She's been glasses-free for 5 years now, but she will need to get something done (either glasses or another procedure if possible) within the next few years.

I finally got it done!!! WOOOO HOOOO....best thing I've ever done....
the procedure was painless but you could feel everything touching your eyes... I had alot of anxiety which is natural when
someone is screwing with your eyes....it was weird, kind of creepy but
once it's done....IT'S AWESOME! No more glasses....I can see the other end
of the football field!!!! I can watch TV and see the small print at the bottom!

I checked into a few different places and went with Dr. Jacobs
with the Cincinnati Eye Institute....very happy with the service
and doctor himself....It's NOT CHEAP!!!

513-984-5133 It's in Blue Ash!

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='454883' date='Mar 10 2007, 07:42 PM']I am probably going to Canada if I get it done....it is about 1400 for both eyes...[/quote]

I don't know Tigers, the last thing you want to cut corners on and finding bargain basement prices on is your eyes

Archived